AdventureHawk

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Robb, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Robb

Robb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    (posted yesterday to vendor forum, a couple folks suggested I post here as well)

Just wanted to share some pics of my Spring project, a HawkGT that I took in a different direction:

http://hawkfan4life.com/AdventureHaw...turehawk1.html

Those sexy wire wheels were a collaborative effort with Woody, of Woody's Wheel Works. Many, many, many thanks to Woody himself for his motivation and excitement over the project. I like it when folks are interested in what they're doing, not just stamping out a product and cashing a check.

I'm always cautious when road-testing a new bike, so my trips these past couple days have been short, but the wheels are completely smooth, and gorgeous to look at. Rest of the bike's working well too ...

Will probably sell it, like all my other projects, but for now I'm having fun with it :D

Robb
  2. yosso

yosso We gotta go now. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very nice. How much? :D

A Hawk GT came up for sale - just north of me.

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/708459627.html

http:
  3. Robb

Oddometer:
    Not sure yet. Was just going over a list of the brand-spanking-new parts I had to buy for this one ... new CRF450 forks and triples, electronic guages, the wheels and tires, oversized brake kit, bss line, front fender, gel battery ... even the used parts added up; $150 for the BMW seat, for cryin' out loud :)

Only had to have a couple custom things fabbed for me .. .bearing spacer, the fuel cell. Did most of the rest myself. Tons of time, though I don't expect compensation for that ... I dunno. It'd be a little pricier than the one near you, but partial moto-trades are always fun too :evil

Robb
  4. yosso

yosso We gotta go now. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Robb,

You're in Milwaukee, WI, right?

It's tempting. All I've got is a 1997 Honda XR650L, with 9,8xx miles. Pretty much stock except for a IMS tanks and some HT rack pieces (which are not shown in the image below).

[​IMG]
    (clickable image)

Did your trike ever sell?

M.
  5. Robb

Oddometer:
    Yep and yep - I'm about 10 miles west of Milwaukee, and Trike2 did sell; retired engineer down in Georgia bought it, send his sons up to pick it and haul it back for him .. .
  6. Hughlysses

Hughlysses Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice project!
  7. Rokoneer

Rokoneer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Now THAT is what I'm talkin' 'bout!

Nice craftsmanship and out of the box thinking went in to that project!
  8. Robb

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the + feedback, everyone, and the PM's too ... I'm flattered :)

Going for a ride now ... already thinking of selling, which would be a shame, but I've got a father/daughter project for the summer that's going to take up all my time, and if this thing's still around, I'll keep fiddling with it until winter ...
  9. Lettlander

Lettlander Gold Medal Minivan Dodger

Oddometer:
    You never cease to amaze me Mr Z. "AdventureHawk"!!!

Brilliant. :freaky
  10. Scoop

Scoop runs with scissors

Oddometer:
    Wow, that's a great price. I sold my 88 a couple of years ago for 5,200. It had less miles, but was in just as good shape with lots of good aftermarket stuff. I sure wish I did not sell it :)
  11. Sock Puppet

Sock Puppet Dirty again

Oddometer:
    Love it!!!:thumb :thumb :thumb
  12. Santa

Santa Focused on the Future

Oddometer:
    Excellent work.
    I am taking a slightly different path using the TA frame and a heavily modded hawk motor.
    [​IMG]

May I ask a couple of questions?
    What did you have to do to get the tachometer in the Vapor to read correctly? I'm considering chopping the extra ears off the CDI trigger plate. I think that would work fine. Maybe your solution is more simple than that?

What are you running for air filters?

You likely already know this but Hordpower is the best source of Hawk parts and tuning info I know of. May be something there for you.

I as well have a fair amount of money and time invested in my project. It's amazing how quickly the little things add up. Many of the parts I needed to do the conversion are only available overseas and the exchange rate makes even the cheapest part expensive.

Once again, great work!

Santa
  13. Robb

Oddometer:
    Hey Santa - great work, wouldn't mind seeing that in my stocking this Christmas!

Vapor isn't hooked up yet; it's one of about half a dozen little details I need to attend to, along with hooking up the tail light, and that sort of thing. I've heard of that being a common problem though, the tach readout being delayed or lumpy. Apparently the number of loops around the wire is critical, but I haven't started connecting things there yet.

I've got the stock air filter base & element in there, didn't want to mess with jetting or anything just now.

Little things add up - indeed. Heh heh. I learned the mechanic's creed long ago - the last 10% of the project takes half the time. The correlary to that seems to be the closer I get to the end of the project, the more apt I am to just start spraying money around in order to get parts quickly. Gotta have it now!! :)

JD (Hord) at hordpower.com is the only guy I'd trust with a Hawk motor, as well as being a good drinking buddy :freaky . Nice to see an individual so passionate about bikes who's in business because he loves it.

I get most of my parts from him, just because I know they'll be correct, and here quickly at a good price, and usually accompanied by some sound advice. He put together the motor I used in a previous Hawk

http://hawkfan4life.com/ForeverHawk/foreverhawk.html

and oooooo it was nice :D

Robb
  14. Santa

Oddometer:
    JD set me up with the 700 cc kit, 153 cams and jetkit. He is the man.
    Regarding the tach, I think the problem lies in the ignition system.
    Take a look at the ignition encoder wheel. See all the "extra" trigger arms?
    I think the ignition circuit supplies spark at times when it is not needed for power, only to ensure cleaner emissions? My TA engine has a very different encoder with only one trigger arm relying on the position of the Hall efect sensors to time the spark correctly.The Hawk sensors are in the same location so I think the extra trigger arms are the problem.
    Ask JD over a beer and see what he says.
    Your previous Hawk was very nice as well.
  15. Robb

Oddometer:
    I went with his 663 kit (cams, pistons, whatever other magic he does), but I hear great stuff about his 700cc packages too. Would love to see his personal bike in action sometime ... hands down the most beautiful racy-Hawk I've ever seen.
  16. Hughlysses

Hughlysses Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dang- that engine is only a little ways off from the one in my Ascot. 700 built cc's in the Ascot would be awesome!
  17. Santa

Oddometer:
    Well, dont keep us in suspense, describe the powerband and general feel of the bike. How light is the front end? :D How much does she weigh btw?
  18. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man, Robb, that is one sweet little project you've got there. Nicely done!!:clap
  19. Robb

Oddometer:
    Al - thanks much!

Santa - sorry if I confused things; the "built" motor was in the earlier Hawk I did. Gorgeous motor .. I told JD I wanted two things from it, torque and throttle response, and I got plenty of both. Effortless roll-on wheelies.

The current "AdvHawk", not sure of the weight, I haven't had it on a scale, but I suspect it's very close to stock. Only a few things are heavier, and quite a few (exhaust, guages, tank) are lighter.
  20. Robb

Oddometer:
    AdvHawk is now listed in the Flea Market. Got some things I need to make room (in the budget as well as the garage) for ...