"Adventureing" an F 800 GS

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Olliwood, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Olliwood

Olliwood "One life, live it!"

Oddometer:
    Hello everybody,
    after years passed reading all the various thread I've finally decided to throw myself into the fray to ask for some advice.

My everyday ride is an F 800 GS, year 2011 with almost 84,000 kilometers (approx 53,000 miles)

After having traveled with her far and wide and in different conditions (sand, snow, mud...rivers) I would like to give her a new "suit".

The idea turn in my head from a while, initially I wanted to do a simple restyling of the plastics pannels with those of the new model. Operation easily doable since it's only a change panels...the idea it's turned into a "problem" when BMW introduced the new F8A and then the desire to turn my F8 in an adventure has become uncontrollable.

I think it's a doable work, but I wanted to ask you advices and to know if anyone had in mind to do the same thing...or has already done.

The rear part (tank etc) I think is the least complicated to replace, one time changed the tank and rear frame (reinforced on the Adventure) I think there is nothing else to change.

On the front you can tell me if something changes at the level of the radiator, radiator supports and whatever else it is under the plastic? The fixing points of the panels on the bike remained the same of "standard" model?

I hope this brief explanation to have aroused your interest and hope that someone is willing to give me a hand.

Why would I want to do that? Why not buy a "real" Adventure? Why I want to change my F8 and not just buy a real adventure? Because my GSina (this is her name) took me everywhere, never betray me also in the worst situation and I could never change her with another bike .... I'm a faithful lover.

Cheers from Italy
  2. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    If you successfully change the rear subframe and fuel tank from a standard GS to an adventure GS, there are a lot of F800GS-owning inmates who will want to hear the details, the part numbers and the cost.

As for me, I'll use a one-liter MSR fuel bottle on those rare occasions I might wish I had it.

Fred
  3. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    I don't think anybody has tried the swap yet, so you can be the pioneer.

However unless you can find a slightly used GSA tank and subframe for a good price (or if money is no object), a far smarter choice would be the upcoming Camel Tank from Oso Blanco. It might not be quite as pretty but it adds the same capacity and is hidden behind the right side luggage anyway.

Up front the GSA is just very fat with no added functionality, so I would definitely skip the panel swap.

All the money you save from the (limited use) cosmetic mods, I would invest in upgrading the suspension and maybe stronger wheels, unless you are more of a road / slow off road rider.
  4. Indy Unlimited

Indy Unlimited Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would not waste the money doing the adventure sub-frame and larger tank mod.
    The one issue with the F800GS is too little weight on the front end when loaded up. It makes the bike handle worse.
    Going with a Touratech tank (very expensive) up front would make more sense.
    I am working on tool packs and tire irons pack mounted to the front crash guards one on each side to move some weight forward for my adventure touring set up.
    I want them quick removable for day riding without luggage.

You would be better off handling wise and money wise to go the Touratech direction.
  5. Olliwood

Olliwood "One life, live it!"

Oddometer:
    Thank you all for the answers ... and thank you for bringing me back down to earth :-)

Looking on realOEM the conversion into anAdventure I think will have a very high cost in due to all the necessary parts.

My second idea would be to put on the bike a Touratech tank, but the cost is very high (but much less than the transformation into an adventure) I'd like to find a used one but I think it's very difficult at least here in Europe.

I also saw the camel tank, the idea is really commendable, but aesthetically I admit that I do not really like it (not that the adventure's one is nicer )

For the others mods I'm waiting for a complete TTX kit (fork and mono) and a set of tubeless Kineo wheels
  6. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    You'll keep us posted on that right? :deal
  7. Reaver

Reaver Why am I still here?

Oddometer:
    I thought you carried all your tools and spares waaaay up front anyway?

In the van towing your bike! :rofl

:D
  8. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    har har har ................ :lol3
  9. FredRydr

FredRydr Danger: Keep Back 300 Ft.

Oddometer:
    Shit! On that note, I ran out of gas today!

I wished I had that MSR bottle, but I used my noggin' instead.

Fred
  10. HighTechCoonass

HighTechCoonass Living the Dream....

Oddometer:
    Where you going???
    My last trip my average speed for the 1500 miles was 32.4 - my bike gets 70 MPG at the speed. I never need more gas than this traveling in the US (200 mile range). Where you plan on riding??.. Touratech tank BTW looks like shit! Go ADV mode if you must!