1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Adventurer's Workshop Problem

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by ndmiller, May 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ndmiller

ndmiller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have bought numerous items from Andrews' outfit and been very pleased including Torbinators, Compact Air Horn, and a Horn Install Kit. Never had a problem, everything shipped quickly no issues...until now.

At the end of January (1/29 Order#4580) I bought and paid for an Excel Motorwork custom shelf for my 1200GS. Emailed with no response. Called and spoke to Andrew, he indicated they were custom made and it would be a few more week.

End of Feb emailed with no response. Called and left message no response.

End of March emailed saying if the shelf is ready ship it, if it wasn't coming give me a refund. Immediate call from Andrew with him stating the shelfs had just arrived, mine is there and they would go out in the next day or so.

End of April emailed stating I just want a refund, as I have found another altenative. I also said I had been pleased with past purchase but this one wasn't one of them. No response. Called and left another message tonight and am waiting to see what happens.

Andrew has always appeared to be a standup guy but he definately lied to me, either about the shelf being in last month or he was going to ship it. Should have just refunded my money last month and called it a day. Not sure what my options are but I probably will have to file a complaint through PAYPAL. I'll let you know what happens.

A little mixed on recommending his shop for Custom (hand made) parts, but again for off-the-shelf my experience has been good.

Noah
  2. AFekete

AFekete Long timer

Oddometer:
    I sent you an email.

A
  3. jhank

jhank not too gnarly adventurer

Oddometer:
    I also seem to be stuck in Workshop limbo.

I had great ordering and receiving experiences with Andrew until I returned, with his permission, a set of 950 carbon frame guards back in Febuary. I wanted to exchange them, again with his okay, for ignition and clutch cover carbon guards. A trade that would have me giving him MORE money. I've made the requisite emails and phone calls. I've waited patiently. Now (well, as of now it's been more than two months) he's got the goods and my money.

I really haven't been too concerned about the situation since all this motorcycle stuff is purely for fun. If the guy is having a rough go with his business at the moment (I don't know this, I'm just guessing.) then far be it for me to cause him more grief with my little problem. I know I certainly have bigger things to worry about.

Then, during a ride, just the other day, somebody pointed down at my engine. Somehow the brake pedal had bent in far enough to put a nice divit in my clutch cover, right where the carbon piece would have helped.

As a relative nooby to advrider I wanted to support a brother, especially after all the great things everyone had to say about A.W. Now, I don't know.

Anybody have suggestions, comments. Should I wait another two-and-a-half months before I get mad, or just get mad now? Decisions, decisions.
  4. ndmiller

ndmiller Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Andrew responded via email with the following summary
    -He did not think the post was necessary.
    -He explained his issues with promises from his custom suppliers and them not meeting their deadlines.
    -He requested I relook at my statement that he lied.
    -He refunded my money.

I have included my email back to Andrew and will also admit I may have been overzealous stating the Andrew lied. I hearby revise that statement in hindsight that Andrew made a mistake telling me me what I wanted to hear and setting my expectations without first confirming he could deliver on them.

Having stated all this I want Andrews business to work as I believe it is one of the best shops based on selection alone, but I think he is being to TOO nice to his vendors and needs to work harder keeping his customers expectations met.

------
    Andrew,

I disagree that my post was unnecessary. If you read it again I thought was very fair and balanced having stated both the good and bad regarding buying products from your shop. ADVRIDER is about riders informing riders about the good and bad. If you really believe I was unfairly inaccurate, let me know specifics and I will gladly post your point of view.

I also understand that your custom vendors are inconsistent and was ok with the delays. But after 3 months I really did find an alternative and since you never followed up with an email or phone call after telling me my shelf was there I was annoyed. Maybe you didn't lie, but at the very least you called me without all the facts and relayed just what I wanted to hear not reality. In all honesty I think you should let Tom know what his inconsistent shipping is doing to your business and perception with customers. Just because he is custom and small doesn't mean he can screw you either. The next 5 shelves should be discounted to you so you have the flexibility to pass along savings to other shelf buyers who have been waiting as compensation for their trouble.

I happen to think your business model is right on to your customers and your product line is top notch ever changing and evolving to meet new areas of demand. I do think you may have too much business to handle alone and your customer service end may be suffering. I posted the remarks and am responding to your email because I believe you knowing will help you get better, adapt and ultimately survive and grow. It is the people that never buy again that do not tell you why you should worry about as you cannot fix what you don't know is broken.

Thank you for the prompt refund,

Noah
  5. AA5IB

AA5IB Wannabe Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    A few weeks ago you posted on Advrider that you had just received several sets of the Hepco & Becker Tank Bars for the R1200GS that are similar to the tank bars on the R12Adv. So I immediately went to your site and ordered a set. When the box arrived I received another set of the H & B engine guards just like I already have on my GS but no tank bars. No big deal, mistakes happen.

So I e-mail and get no response. Then I call and leave a message. Then I call and leave another message. Still no response.

It's been almost a month now and I'm a bit dissappointed. Can you blame me?

Randy
  6. jhank

jhank not too gnarly adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just checked in after being away for awhile and, bingo - bango, several hours after I posted my complaint, Andrew emailed me saying he'd have my 950 carbon covers by mid-week.

Thanks Andrew, for the fast response. I look forward to continued business with you.

- John
  7. RT jim

RT jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why the hell do vendors take your cash when you order and it's not in stock? That bunch of bullshit. If it's a special piece being made for you i'd say it's ok.
  8. A vendor should never take your cash or credit until the product ships. Exceptions are special order items, and special pricing deals that state money comes out before shippment.

Now the reality is that if the vendor has the product and is going to ship the next day or two no problem taking funds at time of order. But, I feel that if a problem occurs that the product does not ship the money is credited back until the product ships.

Many many vendors adhere to a policy very similar to this. I would recommend if this is not Adventure Workshops order policy that they change it. Customers should never pay for the poor performance of your supplier. A policy like I stated keeps everthing above board and fair for both parties.

By the way I have owned a reatail business that often required ordering product for the customer. My policy was very similar to what I stated. Some very expensive products I would order and take a partial deposit but the customer understood why and before hand. And on ocasion the vendor would mess up and I would expect them to refund my money until the product shipped and in turn I would refund the money to the customer. So I am not recommending something I did not stand behind myself.

:deal :norton

9. Giggity

Giggity ..........

Oddometer:
    Hmmmmm.... last Friday I called AW and Andrew himself answered. I ordered a set of footpegs around noon PST. At 3:30 I received an email with the tracking number. Outstanding service! I wish him much success.
  10. Moto One

Moto One Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Having just been contacted by Frank, and we have got all the problems work out.

Thanks Frank.

Mark.:clap
  11. westnash

westnash Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am sure he is trying. California Sport Toruing also seems to do well with phone communication but falls apart on e mail communication. E mail seems the easiest and cheapest way to go for most of us...look at success of ADV Rider! I also dont understand the need for a do all invoice system when a manual log will always work and you know which people you have taken care of and which you haven't.......anyway what most of us do when a company let us down is vote with our feet....maybe it is better to only place orders with Andrew on the tele!
  12. slow

slow n00b

Oddometer:
    Seems like only by posting on this forum will I get reply from Andrew & co. I have posted about a month ago in the "Adventure with Adventurers Workshop" thread. After my post in the above mentioned thread, I received an immediate email from Andrew regarding my order. But thats the last email from him eversince.

Since my order on 2nd March, I have yet to receive any items from Adventurer Workshop. I have tried calling the enquiry line but it never got answered except by the answering machine. Emails sent without replies.
    I have done online purchases many times before but never have i faced these problems before.

I would really appreciate if Andrew or anyone from Adventurers Workshop can contact me thru email or phone anytime of the day despite our timezone difference. My contact number is in my order invoice number 4856.

Danny
    SINGAPORE
  13. g-bike

g-bike beerdrinkin'fuckaholic

Oddometer:
    Had not recieved my order that was put in on April 27, actually I had forgot myself, just sent an e-mail to Andrew. Within 2 minutes my phone rang from Andrew with apologies and stated that they had a problem with PayPal. He immediately sent out my order and provided me with a tracking number. I for one can understand the growing pains. I've ordered before and was very pleased with the service I received and am still pleased. +1 Adventurers Workshop.:clap
  14. AA5IB

AA5IB Wannabe Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Shortly after the above post I received a call from Andrew who was ready to work everything out. He told me he would send out the correct bars and would e-mail a UPS shipper to return the wrong ones.

He told me he had decided to solve the communication problem by quitting his day job.

I returned the wrong bars the day after I received the shipper from Andrew and today I received the H & B Tank Bars for my R12GS.

I applaud Andrew for making things right, I just wish I hadn't had to take my problem public to get his attention. However considering the fact that he realized he had a problem and is taking a risky step to correct it by quitting his day job I would not not hesitate to give him another chance and order from him again. Hopefully the rest of you who have had problems will get them corrected by Andrew and we can all focus on the positive from this point forward.

Randy
  15. pikepole

pikepole IAFF 939

Oddometer:
    I purchased an item from Adventurers Workshop awhile back, and had to return it because it didn't fit my bike. Nearly two months later, I've yet to recieve credit for the return, or even a response from Andrew.

Andrew.. are you out there?

Any chance you might return an email or two?
  16. Django Loco

Django Loco Banned

Oddometer:
    Based on the various complaints I've read here, I'd say Andrew not only needs
    to quit his day job but also needs to hire some help.....especially with email
    communication and phone order/customer service/ return issues.

Doesn't take much bad press to ruin a really good vendor.

Best of luck Andrew, and know that when your dealing with BMW guys, your
    dealing with a bunch of rich, spoiled children. They are used to being first in line. :lol3
  17. greggNJ

greggNJ wannabe adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've placed 2 orders from Adventures Workshop. The first was placed early on a thursday morning online and I recieved it in the mail on Friday (yes-the next day). The other was placed last Wednesday, mid-day. I got a call from Andrew a few hours later (I ordered a raincover for my wolfman tankbag and forgot to specify which bag (Denali:thumbup )) and recieved an e-mail confirmation that evening. The cover came in the Mail Yesterday(Monday). All the items I ordered were in stock and both times I chose the USPS shipping-the cheapest.
    I'll definitely do business with AWS again.
    Thanks Andrew:wave
  18. Lehouillier

Lehouillier Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ordered a set of Standard Aluminum Cases, with mounting hardware and an Oil Cooler Guard for an 1150 GS. I quickly received UPS notification that the order was shipped, and delivered. Excellent!! I drove down to Fredonia, NY from Owen Sound, Ontario to visit my grandparents (and pick up my delivery) this past weekend.

I arrived.... and uh oh!! They have only shipped one case, and the mountng hardware! So... waiting to hear something about the other case, and the oil cooler guard. I hope Adv. Workshop gets back to me soon. I am anxious to find out when (if) my other parts are going to be shipped.

I'm sure Andrew will come through. This thread has been excellent, and although there have been a number of negative reviews, I have been impressed with the service at Adv. Workshop.

I can still do my trips... just need to pack lighter. :evil

Jay
  19. pikepole

pikepole IAFF 939

Oddometer:
    I recieved an email from Andrew after posting here. Long story short, he made every thing right. I then proceeded to place another order with them, because I believe they are a honest solid vendor with good products. I received everything I ordered quickly, and all is well.

Thanks Andrew. And congratulations on your success.
  20. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fast forward to June, when Andrew quit his day job and is now devoting all his energies to the efficient operation of AWS.

I ordered 2 different items to be shipped to 2 different addresses. One to Canada and one to the US. I also requested tracking numbers for both shipments.

Both items shipped the day after I ordered them. The first one arrived in Canada 2 days later and the second one arrived at the US address a few days after that.. I received an email with shipping confirmation and tracking numbers :clap :clap :clap

I think Andrew has turned a corner and is now striving for timely deliveries. Of course, if an item is out of stock, it's out of his hands.

Congratulations Andrew and keep up the good work. I think the risers for the 12GS have turned out magnificently well. :thumb
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.