Adventures 2-up on a KTM in the Pacific Northwet - 2019

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Hiff-Hiffs, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Hiff-Hiffs

Hiff-Hiffs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is my first post on advrider and my first attempt at a trip report, so please be gentle. I would like to use this thread to keep track of the day and long weekend trips my husband, @badboy2000, and I do this year.

Three weeks ago, we decided to throw caution to the wind, celebrate our 10 year anniversary slightly early, and start our new adventure as KTM owners. After a slight hiccup or two, we rode the Beast home on June 22nd. The Beast is truly amazing and has us planning all of the rides this year and plotting grand adventures next year.

Bringing the Beast home:

IMG_8333.jpg
    BSA66, Solo Gato, Trip Hammer and 7 others like this.
  2. Hiff-Hiffs

Hiff-Hiffs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    July 4 and 5: Day tripping with kittens and food!

Yesterday, @badboy2000 and I took the beast out on a short jaunt to visit family. It was our first time taking her off pavement and on gravel roads. While I logically know we want to do crazy off-road adventures with the Beast, the first time on gravel and getting her dusty was slightly painful. I have issues. :rofl Even with my apprehension, she did great and seemed to like getting out in the country.

The Beast made a friend
    IMG_8427.jpg

And another one....nobody can resist her sexy looks :D
    IMG_8424.jpg

Today (July 5th), we took the Beast out for our longest ride on her to date. (Have to make that 600 mile break in by next weekend after all). We did a 150 mile loop around Eastern Washington and part of North Idaho. Along the way we stopped for tasty food, great scenery, and ice cream! I am a very food motivated individual, and all trips are planned around the best places to eat. No exceptions!

FOOD!
    IMG_8430.jpg

IMG_8429.jpg

Stopping to admire the view...and all of the birds.
    IMG_8434.jpg

The Beast really seemed to enjoy getting out today. She ran beautifully, ate up the miles, and purred like a kitten even in the 95 degree weather we hit.
    IMG_8435.jpg
    BSA66, Solo Gato, misterk and 6 others like this.
  3. MazztheSpazz

MazztheSpazz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Excellent! My wife started riding on the back of my Tenere a few years ago, we liked it so much we ended up living off the bike for seven months. Enjoy!
    bobw, Hiff-Hiffs and HoneyBunny like this.
  4. Hiff-Hiffs

Hiff-Hiffs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I love riding 2-up with Badboy. We used to do long weekends with my in-laws on the Harleys. But once my father-in-law wasn't safe to drive anymore, we stopped going. It has been something both of us have really missed doing together. The plan with the 1290 is to be able to longer and longer rides on a bike that will handle most anything. It would be so AMAZING to live off the bike for months at a time. Long term goals for us. Your rides sound like so much fun, especially since you are doing it together!
    eaglescan and bobw like this.
  5. Hiff-Hiffs

Hiff-Hiffs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Taking the long way round for desert….

Yesterday, I hauled the Beast out into the driveway and gave her a good washing. With us being back in a motorcycle riding mood, I seem to have developed an obsession with washing the bikes and keeping them looking shiny. Badboy doesn’t seem to complain either. He hates washing bikes and has happily bought all of the supplies in exchange for me keeping them clean.

After a good polish and time in the sun, the Beast really needed to get out for a ride. Ok, maybe it was more like I was looking for a good excuse to fit in a short ride. I batted my eyelashes and convinced Badboy that we should go for an evening ride to test out the headlights. Smart hunh!?! And since we were taking the bike out, we should go look for a sunset picture and stop for frozen yogurt too.

While out riding, we saw one deer in the fields and a bunch of birds. I truly love this area that we live. The rolling hills and colors of the fields as the harvest grows always makes me feel at home.

My favorite view! I love seeing the road flash by while chattering the ear off my best friend.
    IMG_8444.jpg

I just missed the sunset. Oh well. The ride was worth it, even if I didn't get the photos I wanted. There is always next time.
    IMG_8457.jpg

Sadly, the KTM is now at just the right amount of mileage to get us back to the dealer next weekend for its 600 mile service, so we will be taking a break from the Beast for a few days. Instead, I think we will haul out the HD Sportster and use it for commuting to work this week.

PS: Badboy took us through a cloud of bugs, and now my shiny clean bike needs another good scrub. Blech!
    Solo Gato, Trip Hammer, bobw and 2 others like this.
  6. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You guys will enjoy the 1290.
    bobw, TheBritAbroad and Hiff-Hiffs like this.
  7. Hiff-Hiffs

Hiff-Hiffs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It’s the end of a wonderful long weekend and we managed to get a ride in all four days. Tomorrow we will be back to work, remembering the wonderful adventures had, and dreaming of rides to come.

Before that though, here are the highlights from today’s ride.

IMG_8487.jpg

IMG_8501.jpg

IMG_8506.jpg
    Solo Gato, Amphib, bobw and 2 others like this.
  8. TheBritAbroad

TheBritAbroad Just ride. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great thread. Love the pics and the enthusiasm!
    Hiff-Hiffs likes this.
  9. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking and sounding good!! Congrats on “ the beast” !! We too are up here so maybe we’ll meet up and do some double 1290 trippin’ !! Will follow along for sure. Cheers!
    Hiff-Hiffs likes this.
  10. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    Great thread! Congrats on the new ride, the Beast is an excellent choice and I hope you guys enjoy many fun filled miles together.

Cheers
  11. Hiff-Hiffs

Hiff-Hiffs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We are enjoying it SO much! I loved motorcycle riding with Badboy before, but this has taken it to a whole new level.
  12. Hiff-Hiffs

Hiff-Hiffs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you! It is hard to contain my obsessive delight and passion for the 1290. My non-motorcycle riding coworkers and friends seem to completely miss the awesomeness. :)
    TheBritAbroad likes this.
  13. Hiff-Hiffs

Hiff-Hiffs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It would be great to meet up with other 1290 riders in the area. There are a fair amount of the 1290s running around this area now.
    Oldschoolrocker likes this.
  14. Hiff-Hiffs

Hiff-Hiffs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you! If the last 500 miles on the Beast have been any indication, we will make tons of memories together over thousands of miles.
  15. Hiff-Hiffs

Hiff-Hiffs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Breakfast pastries, first service, and...Ice Cream!

Some days, you ride 600 miles and start with freezing snow/rain and end with 100+ degree temperatures wondering if you will make it home before you melt in a sweaty puddle. Other days you hit the road with clear skies, the air fresh from the surprise rain storm a couple hours earlier. The bike runs perfectly, almost like she is as excited about the day as you are. Even when the temperatures rise to the low 90s the clear blue sky, fluffy clouds, and twisting blacktop pull you in. Everything just seems to fit together and the miles fly by. Those are good days.

Yesterday was a good day. Okay...it was an amazing day. The kind of day on the bike that makes you fall in love with riding all over again and wonder why more people don’t understand the thrill. Maybe I am just being over-dramatic and sentimental since we just got the KTM and the newness hasn’t worn off. But I truly loved riding with Badboy yesterday.

We started the day by waking up and hitting the road by 7am. Ironically, even getting up and being on the road that early still felt like sleeping in compared to our weekday mornings. We had a 9am appointment at the dealer for the Beast’s first service and didn’t want to be late. It was 65 and sunny when we left. I don’t have any pictures from that first part of the ride. It felt magical and I was distracted by enjoying the ride too much to remember to take any pictures. Oops.

At the dealer, we checked the Beast in for service and spent 3 hours waiting at the dealership. Which was really just an excuse to hang out with my father-in-law (bringer of tasty pastries), look at all of the shiny bikes, and try on gear. I am on the hunt for some updated motorcycle gear and having a horrible time finding anything. As a short woman with short legs and a long torso, my options seem to be either look/feel like a football player or a 6 year old playing dress up with men’s coats. Really! The one jacket that fit me in length had an extra 5” in the sleeves. I couldn’t even get my fingers to stick out of the cuffs. Badboy laughed. And laughed. Helpful.

Around noon, we forked over some cash and sprung the Beast. We loaded up and rode with my father-in-law to get lunch. Since he is a local, we trusted him when he said he knew a great road that took us where we wanted to go. Never again. Turns out navigation is not his thing. About the time the road turned to gravel, Badboy made an executive decision and handed navigation back over to me. Not that the KTM couldn’t have handled the gravel, but we were hungry and my father-in-law’s Harley is just not quite up to everything the Beast can do.

Back on track, we found a great little sandwich shop for lunch. Food!

2019-07-13_Food.jpg

After lunch, Badboy and I headed out on a drive around the lake. Our destination, a little place with the best huckleberry ice cream ever! The sun was out; clouds were fluffy and moving across the sky in grand patterns. After a 40 minute stint in construction traffic, we made it off the freeway and back onto the quiet back highways.

2019-07-13_Road.jpg

The ice cream was WORTH IT! I love a good huckleberry ice cream on a good day, and on a really hot day riding the motorcycle, the ice cream is even better.

IMG_8573.jpg

After ice cream, we were getting tired and decided to head home the shortest way. I had mapped out 3 different return routes for going home, and by the time we finished our ice cream and drinks, going home was sounding good. I know we could have ridden farther, but I also firmly believe in riding when it is amazing, and calling it quits before it gets miserable. I am not the best person to be around when I get hot, tired, and cranky. While we weren’t there yet, I wanted to head home when we were still loving the ride.

2019-07-13_Road_2.jpg

By the time we rolled into our driveway, we had added 250 miles to the KTM’s odometer and were already discussing what our next ride would be. Tomorrow we will be back to work and commuting on the KTM instead of traveling miles on her. However, I am counting down the days until our big 4-day trip around Oregon in a couple weeks. It will be our first big trip on the KTM, and our first big trip on a motorcycle in several years. Until then, I continue hunting for motorcycle gear that fits, and planning out how I am going to pack everything including bike tools and my knitting on the bike for Oregon.
    bobw, EMFL, shuckinator and 3 others like this.
  16. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great stuff and glad your having fun! Can you please post the locations of where you riding and food etc. inquiring minds need to know! We are headed your way tomorrow to check on our house prchase stuff and look at it again. Cant wait!! Cheers!! (We’ll be on the Concours 14 this trip. New tires and oil change)
  17. Hiff-Hiffs

Hiff-Hiffs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Totally valid request. I can't believe I missed that. Sorry! Lunch was at Caruso's in Coeur d'Alene. It was our first time stopping there, and we would visit again. Their full size sandwiches are massive. The ones in our pictures are only halves.

As for the ice cream, Harrison Creamery in Harrison, Idaho! Whether you get there via the walking/bicycle trail or on the motorcycle, it is an amazing ice cream stop. There are some great places to eat in Harrison too.

It is exciting that you are getting closer to moving out this way and closing on the new house! There are so many amazing places to ride to on this side of the state.
    bobw likes this.
  18. EMFL

EMFL It's an adventure if nobody died Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great report! Completely agree, ice cream is better when riding. Enjoy your adventure
    PNW Buttercup likes this.
  19. Hiff-Hiffs

Hiff-Hiffs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Adventures through Oregon - a four day tour of Oregon food and roads

When we first brought the Beast home, we were thinking of only doing some long day rides and maybe a short overnight ride this season. Saving our grand adventures for next year to celebrate our anniversary. However, the Beast had other ideas. She kept up a constant whispering in our ears; a week later, we had a 4 day trip booked.

We have a system worked out for all of our adventures. I do all of the route mapping, navigation prep, hotel finding, and sight seeing research. Badboy books the hotels and provides final route review. Once on the bike, Badboy obviously does all of the driving, while I am responsible for route navigation and pictures. Overall, it works great for us and plays to our individual strengths.

This adventure was no different. My in-laws happened to be spending a couple weeks on the Oregon Coast and conveniently provided a basis from which to build the ride. I added a detour around Mt. Hood and the Hood River National Forest as we had never driven there before. Plus, it is nice to get off of I-84. Crater Lake National Park became the capstone piece of the trip and our 6th new National Park visited this year.

Once mapped, I had a ~1,300 mile, 4 day ride with new country, detours for all the best food, and the perfect excuse to take the Beast on that first long ride she had been begging us for.

2019-07-30_17-21_censored.png
  20. Hiff-Hiffs

Hiff-Hiffs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 1: 0 to 192 miles

Friday afternoon, we bailed on work early and set out. We had spent the week prepping all of our luggage and getting everything situated on the KTM. Excited to get on the road, we geared up, climbed on, and set out. To get stuck in road construction traffic for the next hour and a half. There is nothing like sitting in full gear, watching the heat gauge on the KTM climb, and knowing that once you started moving, you would be driving over miles of hot, fresh oil. The added bonus was the temperature read out showing 101 degrees. At least we KNEW it was hot!

The heat gave us a perfect excuse to stop at the Country Mercantile, just outside Pasco, Washington. Such a cool place! The ice cream was delicious and the food hit the spot. I had the BEST strawberry ice cream with chunks of real strawberry and Avalanche ice cream (amaretto, chocolate chunks, and maraschino cherries). YUM! Badboy had peach (complete with real chunks) and chocolate ice cream. We also enjoyed a french dip and a fiesta chicken wrap. If you are ever over by Pasco and looking for a great place to eat or enjoy some desert, the Country Mercantile is worth a visit.

Day_1_food.jpg

Feeling more human, we hit the road again. Taking the back way down to Hermiston, we drove along the Columbia river. It was a beautiful drive on roads we hadn’t driven before. When we finally reached Hermiston, I was thankful to see our hotel. Working all day and then putting 192 miles on the bike is tiring. My feet (heels) felt like they were going to melt off if I was on the bike any longer. Even better, there was a 24hr Denny’s next to the Best Western. Breakfast was set!

IMG_8635.jpg