Adventures 2-up on a KTM in the Pacific Northwet - 2019

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Hiff-Hiffs, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Hiff-Hiffs

Hiff-Hiffs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 2: If we make it through the Gorge...everything is going to be okay... aka (192-533 miles (341 miles for the day))

Saturday morning, dawned bright and early. We were up and ready to make tracks. The first order of business was breakfast, and Denny’s delivered. Breakfast taken care of and the bike loaded, we were ready for priority number two for the day. Second skin patches for my heels. We weren’t sure if it was the heat coming off of the exhaust, my boots, or what, but I couldn’t survive many more miles without blisters developing on my poor feet. Ouch. The local Safeway provided some blister protection bandages, and I sat in the parking lot taping up my feet. Badboy had a laugh.

Feet wrapped, we were on the road. The weather report called for 30mph wind through the Columbia river gorge, and it delivered. Between being on I-84 and the wind, I have no pictures from that stretch of the day. My only goal in life was to be Badboy’s backpack and behave myself. We did a slight detour in The Dalles to stop at Fun Country Powersports. With my heels still sore from the day before, and the bandages only a temporary solution, finding new boots for me had become a priority. Fun Country was a great place to visit. Sadly, they had no boots in my size. Dang it! Being small can suck.

After drooling over their KTM display, we were on the way again. At Hood River, Oregon, we separated from I-84 and headed south. Driving through the National Forest and along the base of Mt. Hood was inspiring. After the brutal winds along the river, being in the trees with less traffic and new scenery was a treat.
    day_2_mt_hood.jpg
    Coming into Gresham, my navigation hit a minor speed bump and we ended up slightly “lost”. There is this one exit for I-5/Salem that you need, and we NEVER get right. It doesn’t matter if we are in the car or on the bike, we ALWAYS take the wrong one. And that is after always having the same conversation together about how we always take the wrong exit, and that this is the right exit. Nope. Wrong exit. Again.

The bright side about ending up “lost” in Portland, is we were able to go to MotoCorsa to check out their gear lineup. Once again, we struck out. They had a great selection of boots, including a couple of my top choices. But they were out of my size. Oh well. It was still a great little detour and a chance to look at some sexy bikes.

By this point, I needed food. Life is better when I don’t get overly tired or hungry. And I was reaching my limit. Poor Badboy. Some coworkers of ours had recommended Burgerville, and I never turn down a chance at a great burger. The coworkers were right. AMAZING burgers. AMAZING marionberry milkshake. I inhaled my burger and fries before Badboy even had a chance to take a bite of his. So tasty!
    day_2_food.jpg
    With our detours and getting somewhat lost, we were off from my navigation printout. We had also missed the amazing Hawaiian BBQ food truck in Tillamook that was on our list because they were closed for the day at that point. So we mapped a new route to Lincoln City and set out. After a couple of minor wrong turns, we arrived safely at our home for the night. It was awesome seeing my in-law’s camper parked along the street waiting for us.
    day_2_flowers.jpg
    day_2_ride.jpg
    Pie had arrived. There is a place in Yachats Oregon, LeRoy’s Blue Whale. And they make fresh, incredible pies from scratch every couple days. It is a tradition in the family to eat pie there when we vacation on the coast. My in-laws had graciously ordered ahead and picked up our favorite pieces of pie before meeting us in Lincoln city. We checked into the room, hauled our luggage in, and proceeded to eat the BEST pie. What a great way to end a great day.
    day_2_pie.jpg
    BigDogRaven, AZ Mark, bobw and 2 others like this.
  2. Hiff-Hiffs

Hiff-Hiffs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Days 3 & 4 will be up later this week.
    TheBritAbroad likes this.
  3. Oldschoolrocker

Oldschoolrocker a.k.a. EZE Supporter

Oddometer:
    O boots for you at Atomic Moto in Bend?
    Brtp4 likes this.
  4. Hiff-Hiffs

Hiff-Hiffs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Spoilers...but sadly no. When we went through Bend, everything was closed since it was a Sunday. I survived with taping my feet every day and dreaming of the perfect pair of boots I am going to find...someday....soon. Heat venting on the 1290 has become a high priority. :)
    Oldschoolrocker likes this.
  5. Oldschoolrocker

Oddometer:
    I’ll send a PM tommorrow and explain what I did. I know what your talking about! Cheers!
    TheBritAbroad and Hiff-Hiffs like this.
  6. Duanob

Duanob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This thread is inspiring to me. I love getting east of the Cascades.

A riding buddy and I will be doing the east of the mountains thing next weekend. I plan on heading to his house in Cashmere and then we ride north into BC, then HWY 3 east bound to about the Washington Idaho border, then south and take HWY 20 back west. A good weekend trip.

I guess the secret is out! We bought a house there a year ago and we're moving over this October. I can't wait to get the frick out of Puget Sound area! Way too many self involved, self important cagers here. And way too much traffic of every kind.

The one thing I am looking forward to is two laner riding on back country roads right into and out of town. The Old Pullman Highway starts a mile from my house, I never have to get on an interstate again if I don't want too. But then again the freeway traffic in Spokane is nothing like the entire I-5 corridor from PDX to Vancouver, BC.
    Hiff-Hiffs and Oldschoolrocker like this.
  7. Oldschoolrocker

Oddometer:
    Damn right!! After you head west for a bit outta Republic be sure and head north and loop over to Chesaw! Great canyon carving headed back north!! Stop at Chesaw Tavern for a bad boy buffalo burger. Then west! Cheers!
    Hiff-Hiffs likes this.
  8. Duanob

Duanob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tip! My mom used to live not far from that area in Omak. I'm a bit familiar. Always looking for new stuff.
  9. Hiff-Hiffs

Hiff-Hiffs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There is some fantastic riding east of the Cascades. Your route sounds like an amazing weekend trip! If you have never been before, Tim Hortons in BC is a great place to stop at. Coffee, donuts, and bagel sandwiches that are fantastic. We try and stop any time we are in Canada.
  10. Hiff-Hiffs

Hiff-Hiffs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 3: In which I am actually at a loss for words... (533-930 miles (397 miles for the day))

For day three, we were up at 5:15am and on the road by 6:30am. Since Crater Lake was on our list for the day, we both wanted to make good time in the morning so we weren’t rushed in the park. It was a beautiful morning. The sun was out and the sky clear. Such a nice change on the coast. However, it was 55 degrees and COLD. So very few pictures were taken in the first part of the morning. (Apparently my photo taking goes down drastically in proportion to whether I am too cold or hot.)

Depoe Bay, Oregon
    IMG_8752.jpg

We skipped eating breakfast before we left, which became a problem later in the morning. We were freezing, looking for somewhere to eat on the way to Crater Lake, and not finding many options. There is something slightly un-satisfying when you end up eating Subway for breakfast – shivering uncontrollably between bites. Memories were made and adventure had.

Driving Oregon 58 and 97 towards Crater Lake National Park, was an unexpectedly amazing ride. When I mapped the route, I knew it when through national forest land and looked decent on the map. However, looking decent on a map doesn’t always equate to a beautiful ride. It was stunning. Twisting, winding roads. Stunning vistas. And frequent little towns to stop for drinks and ice cream bars as the day warmed up.

day_3_ride.jpg

Crater Lake National Park was…I don’t know. It left me speechless. I knew from reading and general knowledge that it is a lake within a volcanic crater. But nothing prepared me for the sheer size and impressiveness of the crater and lake. I walked up to the edge at the first pull out, looked out, and was rendered speechless. I think the first words I managed to dredge up were, “It’s huge!”. Badboy laughed, and asked what I had expected. I am still in awe of the place.

The Beast earning her first sticker at Crater Lake National Park
    IMG_8820.jpg

While we were at the first pull-out and I was picking my jaw up off the ground, a KTM pulled in a bit farther down the hill. With two riders. On a 1290 SAR. People like us in the wild. Exciting! Badboy and I then did something totally out of our normal character; we walked down and said hi. It was awesome talking to and seeing someone with a 2-up setup on a 1290. I know there are a bunch of us running around on 1290’s 2-up, but getting to meet in person was a blast. We traded upgrade information, gear recommendations, and talked 1290 shop. To the couple from Southern California/Sacremento, it was great visiting with you!

Continuing our way through the park, we stopped at the Rim Village visitor center. I picked up my park pen, magnet, and vinyl stickers. Now we have our inaugural sticker for the side luggage on the bike! Priorities. With the all important sticker out of the way, we hunted up lunch from the Rim Village store. Lunch wasn’t bad, though I will say, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich made on swirled rye bread with caraway seeds is an experience. Not one I am in a hurry to repeat either. Competing flavors.

day-3_crater.jpg

Once last thing we did before exiting the park and heading to Redmond for the night was stop at where the road intersected the Pacific Crest Trail. I obsessively follow through-hikers and the PCT every year. The chances of us ever hiking the PCT are slim to none, but I really wanted to set foot on the trail and see at least a part of it.

Our Motel 6 was in Redmond, OR that night. We had opted to drive up to Redmond instead of staying in Bend due to hotel prices. It turned out to be a nice room – very reminiscent of dorm rooms. While checking in, we asked the clerk for dinner recommendations and were steered to Cindy’s Chinese Garden. Delicious! It was a nice place, with a great menu, and wonderful food.
    day_3_food.jpg
  11. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    Really enjoying your thread! Great road and food choices :dukegirl

Not to hijak, but comfort is always important and more so the longer the rides where minor issues become real old real fast. My dealer is BMW and KTM and they have a good range of price point gear options with BMW stuff having a fairly decent selection of men and women's gear. Aerostitch will pretty much tailor fit their gear too. I'm sure there are others too, but for many years of comfort and safety provided I've found it worth the few extra dollars up front that actually averages out over the years to be a solid value. Harley too should have a good selection of women's gear I would think and in designs that provide the safety and versatile protection from the elements. Anyway, back to riding and ice cream and pie and............ :beer
    Hiff-Hiffs likes this.
  12. Oldschoolrocker

Oddometer:

Sorry I couldnt help it!! Cracks me up everytime I hear Aerostitch. Great stuff! Cheers!
  13. Hiff-Hiffs

Hiff-Hiffs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You aren't hijaking. I am always looking for ideas of good gear options. I will look into what BMW has. Some of my gear that I use already is HD, though sometimes the rhinestones can be a bit much on their stuff. :)

Now back to riding....and ice cream. Always ice cream! :-)
    bobw likes this.
  14. Hiff-Hiffs

Hiff-Hiffs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome! That made me laugh. Thanks!
  15. Hiff-Hiffs

Hiff-Hiffs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 4: ...two wheels and I'm gonna make it home tonight!...(930-1,359 miles (429 miles for the day))

Monday morning came way to fast for us. Thankfully, we had prepped everything the night before, so all we had to do was get up, get dressed, load the bike, and find breakfast before hitting the road. It turned out, there weren’t many places open at 6am for breakfast. McDonalds it was. Sausage egg mcmuffins, hashbrowns, coffee for Badboy, and hot chocolate for me. We were successfully on the road towards home by 6:30am.

Day 4 was scheduled to be our longest day on the road and we were focused on making tracks for home. The first part of the ride was bloody cold. We started out with our mesh jackets and waterproof layers underneath. Within 20 miles, we stopped to add a thermal layer under all of that. Feeling more like michelin men than motorcycle riders, we climbed back on the bike. Good news, even with all the layers, I still managed to smoothly swing up on the KTM and NOT pull us over. Yay! (I live in secret fear that someday I am going to screw up getting on the Beast and pull her and Badboy over in my clumsiness.)

While the temperature was a balmy 50 degrees, the sun shone brightly and gave a deceptive impression of warmth. We tried to enjoy the cold in between the shivers as we knew it would be hot as hell by the time we hit Walla Walla.

IMG_8943.jpg

Driving across Oregon on Highway 26 proved to be one of the best roads of the trip. The scenery was constantly changing, the road had some but not too much traffic, and several awesome bathrooms. You may laugh, but I rank nice bathroom locations up there with the best luxuries of travel. There is something that just sucks about trying to use a tiny, stinky portapotty in 80+ degrees, while in full gear, trying not to fall over/in, and avoiding germs. Blech! Which is why, the nice, park-like facilities with running water in Mitchell and Dayville Oregon stand out as the best on the whole trip. Mitchell is apparently on one of Oregon’s cycletouring routes and is set up with a hostel and camping facilities for the cyclists. Dayville was a sleepy little community that had a park, cute bathroom structure, and a drinking fountain.

Old farm buildings near Fox, Oregon. I can't believe I managed to snag this picture while moving at highway speeds and the buildings turned out centered. Lucky shot.
    IMG_8973.jpg

Community church in Fox, Oregon
    IMG_8979.jpg

After starting the day at 50 degrees, we steadily climbed in heat until we topped out at 96 degrees around 4pm. By that point, we were stopping roughly every 30 minutes to soak our shirts in cold water and drink. The heat got to me and made the last 3 hours home pretty miserable. I felt sorry for Badboy having to put up with me needing to stop continuously to cool off. However, we were both thankful that it was me over him having the hard time. I just had to stay awake and coherent. He actually had to drive. By the time we made it home, I was wiped and pretty ready to be off the bike. That said, now 3 days later, our new 2-piece heated seat is installed on the KTM and I am already scheming on how to convince Badboy we should move a couple of vacation days and take another 4 day trip on the Beast. Obviously, I wasn’t scarred too badly. :)

This is my favorite shot from the whole trip. I love how this captures the bike, gear, trees, and the spirit of the adventure. I can't wait to get on the road again!
    IMG_8998.jpg

When we planned and booked this 4 day ride, it was intended to be our first major shake down ride ahead of one or two 6-8 day trips we are planning next year. We wanted to try a longer weekend/multi-day trip to see how we would do and learn some things. Looking back retrospectively on the trip, here are some of my/our takeaways:

• I am happy that we used almost all of the motorcycle gear that we took

• While we used space for our tool kit, we never had to use it. I am sure we will get to eventually. Having it though and the peace of mind it brought was worth the space.

• We can do 400+ miles in a day. However 300-350 miles in a day is our sweet spot. That gives us enough time to make distance, while allowing for stops and the time to enjoy the adventure we both want to make our priority.

• We can do 3 full days of riding in a row, but the 4th day should probably be a smaller day mileage-wise to give ourselves a bit of a break.

• We will need to stop and do laundry every 3-4 days. I love our luggage setup currently on the bike and I can’t pack much more into what we have.

• The rear stock tire on the 1290 is NOT going to last us for the whole season and we are going to have to get a new one before too long.

• Venting the heat coming off of the exhaust on the KTM is our top priority. Even if I find boots that fit, I don’t think the boots and taping my feet will completely solve the issues. And heat blisters on the bottoms of your feet can be a real killjoy on a trip

• Last, but not least, I freaking LOVE the KTM. A girl couldn’t ask for a better early anniversary gift than a new motorcycle, luggage, and adventures with her husband. I can’t get enough of the bike and riding with Badboy!
  16. badboy2000

badboy2000 n00b

Oddometer:
    Well, if we want to get technical, I did use the pliers from the tool kit to pull some goat's head thorns out of our tires. It's possible I did that just so I could say I have used the tool kit though.... :-)
  17. Oldschoolrocker

Oddometer:
    Great report, pics, text and most of all enthusiasm!! Well done you two!
  18. Duanob

Duanob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I absolutely love HWY26 across Central Oregon, then take the roads 7 and 410 through Granite and Sumpter through Anthony Lakes up towards La Grande, Joseph and Lake Willowa.
  19. Hiff-Hiffs

Hiff-Hiffs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Another weekend, another Saturday, another trip to the KTM dealer

We have discovered one of the experiences that come with KTM ownership is the frequent trips to the dealer. 600 mile service – visit the dealer. Install heated grips on the bike – visit the dealer to activate. Install heated seats – visit the dealer. Sneeze – visit the dealer…okay it isn’t quite that bad. But still. We are getting to be regulars at our dealer now. They know about our long weekend trip. The changes we have done to the bike. Everything. Plus, I think they are secretly enjoying the fact that I have at least an hour of “shopping” time while I wait. :) Badboy may not be enjoying that quite as much. This past Saturday was our trip to get the heated seats and grips activated. We did all of the installation work ourselves, so we just needed everything turned on for the first time.

Saturday morning we were up bright and early. Way to early for a Saturday. The forecast called for thunder showers at some point during the day. Oh well…maybe we would get to try out the snazzy heated grips/seat. The morning ride to the dealer was BEAUTIFUL. That type of perfect riding that just excites your soul and sets you free. As this is becoming a frequent trip, and we had to make an appointment time, there was little time to dally.
    morning_ride.jpg

While waiting for the Beast to get her fancy upgrades, we did a bit more gear shopping. Full gear suits and boots are still on our list, and I like to try and shop “local” as much as possible. While I struck out on boots, I did manage to find my next helmet, and the most amazing, mid-layer, Klim jacket on sale – in pink! Now what Klim calls “pink” can only be described as neon fuchsia or watermelon hot pink. Perfect! It goes great with my KTM orange neck buff. Badboy will never loose me in a crowd. :)

After the Beast was released, we took the long way home because…why not. Lunch was at the Harvester in Spangle. Great little place that appears to be a popular, local farmer hangout. Badboy had a french dip. I had a bacon cheese burger. The huckleberry milkshake…totally worth it! Great place to eat. I would go back again. Awesome fries, tasty milkshake, and perfect bacon. My kind of place.

food_harvester.jpg

As our afternoon meander home continued, those thundershowers that the forecast had warned about became more and more of a real threat. We got to watch the thunderheads form in the sky above and in-front of us. The sky looked at odds with itself. White fluffy clouds met dark sky and grey clouds. We started racing the storm home…and lost. About 4 miles from home, the first drops started to hit. Ouch. Big, fat raindrops that felt like pellets hitting. By the time we pulled into the driveway, the heavens opened up and it poured. Riding the KTM in the rain…check.

IMG_9060.jpg

IMG_9061.jpg

IMG_9065.jpg

Overall, it was a wonderful Saturday and a great way to put another couple hundred miles on the bike. Fingers crossed, my new boots will arrive, fit, and solve part of the melting heels issue. I must look for a good 2-4 hour ride for the coming weekend. With food obviously.
  20. Oldschoolrocker

Oddometer:
    2-4 hour ride eh? With food? Haha! Try the Conkling Marina! It is sweet! Sit out on the deck all comfy..looking out at the lake..people frolicking. Heck yeah! And if you want you can visit the Bgunn family at their boat repair/marina place just up the street. Sure you seen Tim (live2ride) invite everyone to come stop by “the shop” !! (Spokane thread) haha!!
    Then if you really want to get psyched ride to St Maries and onward to Avery then north on “Moon pass” to Wallace! Nice easy gravel with a bunch of old train tunnels to ride through. Awesome ride! Cheers!!
    bobw and Hiff-Hiffs like this.