1. ** Enter to win a $250 gift card! We want to hear from you, please take this survey **

Take this survey which covers a range of questions about improving the community, the things that interest you and anything else you want to share with us. All responses will remain anonymous.

Click here to take the survey
    Dismiss Notice

Adventures between a Cliff and a Wet Place. Brighty in Central Asia and Mongolia

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by ChrisUK, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Steve canyon

Steve canyon Adventurer

Oddometer:

That's a shame about the Mankini.....:D will check the Hubb, prefer to move my date forward a few months .escape the UK..:D

If the weather stays shite they might be glad of such a bike on the grid...

:rofl
  2. ChrisUK

ChrisUK Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Made it onto the telly! The gf feels the pic doesn't present her in the most flattering of lights :evil

[​IMG]

And a couple of double weekend winner, Yorkshire's own "Our Tom" Sykes:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. rexzeppelin

rexzeppelin n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Chris, great RR, lots of detail and beautiful pictures! :clap

I had a question for you: I'm going to be crossing into Mongolia from China on July 3.

I was wondering what the Mongolian customs policies are for motorcycles???

I don't have a carnet and I'm going to try and sell the bike when I leave UB for the USA. It's an old 250 cc Honda and not worth too much I reckon.

Have a great trip to Siberia! My ex-gf was from Barnaul too, it seems like a nice place.

Also, any advice on river crossings? I will be solo and cannot afford any dunkings, as it were, though if I'd been in the same situation as you I'd have been under the moment I got in the water. Is it useful to walk the bike, you think?
  4. ChrisUK

ChrisUK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you like my little missive. I entered with my bike at Tsagaanuur in the far west of Mongolia. They put my vehicle details (temporary import for a month: the length of my tourist visa.) into their database. From what I could work out, their system is networked. I was given several bits of paper. My bike is still there because I was required to import it, so I could park it for a year in UB. No Carnet required.

Have a look over at http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/ particularly in the Northern Asia section.

As you've seen in the video, asking me on advice on river crossings isn't wise:evil. I've learnt to check the depth and speed of all crossings, particularly after heavy rain. :deal Even if it's bad where you are (on the road/ track?) checking further up or down stream may be easier. Or put your bike on a truck.

Enjoy your trip. I'm looking forward to Siberia.
  5. rexzeppelin

rexzeppelin n00b

Oddometer:
    Haha, in my experience that makes you just the person to ask. I'm very stubborn and generally only learn from my mistakes, but in this case I'll be going solo and I have a tiny fraction of the experience you have, so I need to be very cautious :eek1

Thanks for the tips, very helpful. I'll try and make my very first RR when I get back!
  6. Tachedoutoffroad

Tachedoutoffroad Mr. Parrish

Oddometer:
    Really, really like this pic.

[​IMG]

You solidified my thoughts of buying of a TA! Thanks :freaky
  7. ChrisUK

ChrisUK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you like the picture! The TA is a great bike.
  8. ChrisUK

ChrisUK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. REALGRAVEROBBER

REALGRAVEROBBER LEAVING GRAVES EMPTY

Oddometer:
    A fan of your great rides and journalism Chris, your crazed-bones photo inspires a new fad!

[​IMG]
  10. ChrisUK

ChrisUK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey L
    Very Very Good! :rofl