Adventures from Arkansas

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Ozark08, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Ozark08

Ozark08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Come visit! I'll give you a tour!
    deserttowers likes this.
  2. Ozark08

Ozark08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had several hours to kill on my one day off so I traced out a piece of the AR Trans America Trail route, from my house up to the Oark Cafe. I added in a couple detours to local creek crossings and an old fire tower lookout hill peak. I can confirm that the burgers are delicious. The local roads are also AMAZING. So if you want to enjoy some asphalt as a break from the dirt you will NOT be disappointed. Hwy 103 south from Oark is amazing. Incredible views and the corners... when you see scrapes out of the road surface you know they're good. I'll go back soon and get more pictures of the road route.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    bobw likes this.
  3. Ozark08

Ozark08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hwy 103:
    [​IMG]
  4. Ozark08

Ozark08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    bobw likes this.
  5. HPPants

HPPants Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Please (PLEASE) stop describing the Arkie roads this way. Throw up the pictures, but don't tell anyone where they are. For 20 years, we've managed to keep it a secret, and most of the squids and pirates and posers just keep going east to the Dragon. I fear the end is near though.

If I lived where you do, my tire budget would be MUCH larger than it is. Holy crap, that chip seal grips! I've left a few thousand dollars worth of rubber along Hwy 123 alone.

Leaves looked real nice last week. Beautiful pictures.

What is it that makes Haw Creek appear turquoise at times?
    Ozark08 likes this.
  6. Ozark08

Ozark08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The inconsistencies in the road surface are the only issue. I put the traction control to the test on 123 south of Mt Judea the other day when one of the switchback corners was repaved in smooth blacktop. It was also damp, and I'm on brand new knobby tires. Bad combination. TC to the rescue, works great and I barely list any momentum.

I do a trip to the Dragon every year with my car club, and it really is only worth it for the comradery. The roads here are equal to if not surpassing the Dragon. I love where I live :)

Yes, the creeks are beautiful!
  7. Ozark08

Ozark08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The treacherous thing about the dirt trails and forest access roads this time of year is that some, not all, of the really tight banked corners have gravel dumped on them to keep them from washing out. Right now there's a nice layer of leaves over everything and you can't tell that there's gravel there until you're in it. That's fun :) I'm pretty impressed with the Shinkos. I went through the gravel with no real issue and they're great in the type of mud we have here.
  8. ragtoplvr

ragtoplvr Long timer

Oddometer:
    True, you have 3 surfaces, stickey clay with rocks, rocks with stickly clay, and 6" of pea gravel. Often all 3 in a mile.

Rod
    Ozark08 likes this.
  9. Ozark08

Ozark08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Exactly! Even with the rain we've had there are long stretches of 50+mph dirt. So much fun.
  10. Ozark08

Ozark08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In addition to running local backroads and trails, I'm trip planning for the CDT next year. Any input is welcomed and appreciated. Seeing as it's literally around the corner from my house I plan on doing the western half of the TAT the year after.
  11. Ozark08

Ozark08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got the rest of my Mosko stuff in and mounted up. WOW. I'm a huge fan. Pics after work. The BC35 set is amazing, and everything works together so well. I can't wait to get it all dirty and go places! I've scavenged stuff from my normal tools to make a tool kit and nor I'm realizing I need to go shopping... I can't keep pilfering one tool set for the other when I work on my cars. So a list is being written and a trip to Lowes is on the books for my next day off. Yay.

I'm feeling very inspired by re-reading my sister Amanda's journal from 2006. She rode a bicycle from San Diego to Guatemala. Pretty impressive. Link posted below. At the time she was in a very similar personal situation as I am now and I really feel like a long trip on two wheels would do me a lot of good. New people, new places, and nothing to pollute the experience. Yes please. Maybe I'll ride home for Christmas and take the long way back...

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?doc_id=1429
  12. Ozark08

Ozark08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I may have a problem. The mounting decision is genius.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. BackroadsOnly

BackroadsOnly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gear looks good. In the video, it looked like a Nomad tank bag. How does it fit on the AT as I am leaning that direction on mine.
  14. Ozark08

Ozark08 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think it fits just fine. Stays flat enough to keep my ipad in the bottom pocket. I don't have an issue with interference when standing, but I'm 6'5" so keep that in mind.