Adventures of Blaster and Dorito--Trans Lab 2011

Discussion in 'Americas' started by blaster11, Nov 6, 2010.

1. inmate-n00b

inmate-n00b Ciao, Marco

Oddometer:
    Glad you're back, Rev.:clap
    I'm looking forward to the trip report. :freaky
  2. blaster11

blaster11 Still having fun!

Oddometer:
    Since the bikes are fully loaded and fueled up we decided to do a little pre-departure run just to see how the bikes will handle and to get some of the slick stuff wore off the new tires. Everything went well with only needing to stop and secure Dorito's gas can differently since it was sliding around a bit. Now to just finish the things around the house.
  3. EOD3MC

EOD3MC What will break next

Oddometer:
    Need anyone to babysit the 2 wheeled kids???? :evil
  4. NomadicOne

NomadicOne Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For those hitting the TLH in the near term, I just called the Town Office at (709) 925-3335 and was told there were no tour guides between August 12 and August 16. I plan on dropping by the office (August 15), grab a brochure and do a self-guided tour.
  5. blaster11

Oddometer:
    I will most likely start a new thread in Trip reports Thursday or Friday...we leave Saturday at 0530. :clap :clap :clap :clap :clap After about 9 months of planning its finally time to execute the plan. :evil Don't worry I will most likely start the planning for either an Alaska trip or a Continental divide trip for 2012 once I return...sounds like fun already. :lol3
  6. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    We had a friend cut the inside of a corner, the road gave way and he endowed his bike (front flip) at speed right out into the middle of the road. 5 minutes later a huge truck came barreling around the corner.

The sides of the road are soft in spots :nod
  7. Scotty P

Scotty P Funny Like a Clown

Oddometer:

I can come and exercise the horse.........does he like spurs:lol3

[​IMG]
  8. blaster11

Oddometer:
    It's not really whether he likes spurs or not, it's really how well you can you ride a wheelie....:poser Remember he is a Thoroughbred race horse and he likes to have fun with his rider. :evil
  9. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    I reckon the horsepower:weight ratio is probably higher on my Thoroughbred, than your KLR. :D
  10. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
    The hydro facility is 1000 feet underground it isn't likely you'll be able to do much of a self guided tour, but you can try :lol3
  11. blaster11

Oddometer:
    I bet that's a good place to hide stuff...
  12. RevChris

RevChris Merchant of Chaos

Oddometer:
    Churchill Falls is where I'm heading when the zombies come, but until then I'm staying clear. That place gave me the creeps. The power plant tour is cool, but you're not missing that much (unless you're an underground tunnel fetishist or something). Spend that valuable time at Cochrane's Pub instead. Also, when I was there I camped on the town beach-- there's an area off to the right as you're looking at the water that's a little more secluded than just being on the beach. They didn't have any signs saying you couldn't do that (and they have signs in the restaurant saying not to break the furniture, so I figure they wouldn't have overlooked it) and it's quite nice down there. Only problem is you have to leave the bike by the road, but if it's safe anywhere it's safe in that weird little town.
  13. Scotty P

Oddometer:

Well you know I'm happy to help if I can.........Wow sincerity. :D
  14. Scotty P

Oddometer:

we can give it a shot when you get back..........Arabians are skitish of their own shadow. Read "High Ho Silver" :lol3
  15. jdrocks

jdrocks Gravel Runner

Oddometer:
    City Center at Churchill Falls from last season...

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> I followed my guide over to this huge building and he pointed me towards the main entrance. I rode in there, but had to maneuver around a pickup. I was leaned over, went to give it a last shot of gas, found myself in second instead of first, the engine hiccupped, and the bike fell over. Welcome to Churchill Falls, and I crashed directly in front of the entrance doors to City Center. You might think my arrival caused something of a stir.

Nobody saw me ride up, just the aftermath. They thought I was dead, but then I stood up, a miracle in the flesh. Everyone wanted to call the ambulance, get me to the hospital…blah, blah. Forget that, just help me pick up the bike. I had gone down on the right, and when four guys pick it up on the right side, they nearly flip the bike back down on the left. Fortunately, the one guy on the left caught it, and put the stand down when I asked. Whew, I’m here anyway, let’s get a room. No rooms, booked solid, I should have seen that coming.
  16. High Side

High Side Squidventurer

Oddometer:

SOOOOOOOO sorry to have pissed you off Upper Canadian with the 13 stickers we marked over our 5000km journey. Now that your traveling in our neighbourhood, feel free to look me up so I can give you your own Squidventure sticker like the hundreds we gave out to those that we met throughout our tour.

Then you can stick it where it won't hopefully offend others like yourself.

Please though, don't take it the wrong way . . .
  17. RevChris

RevChris Merchant of Chaos

Oddometer:

Ha! Nice.

I don't think I saw a single person there who wasn't a traveler or paid to deal with me (clerks, tour guide, bartender, etc.) and it was a weekend. The empty skatepark and the kid's bicycles lying around... I was worried the rapture had happened while I'd been in the wilderness. Everyone I did meet was very nice, though.

I hung out with the road workers at the bar, and found that they agreed with me that Churchill Falls is kind of a weird place. I met a guy later in Lab City who told me a story from his road crew days. They were working near CF and the town was having some kind of celebration. They came out to the road camp and asked the crews not to come into town while they were doing their thing. "Now, if you tell 75 workers not to do something, that's the first thing we're going to do. We had a hell of a time, boyo. By the time we left that town they were all shaking our hands and thanking us for coming."
  18. REAPER_ONE

REAPER_ONE YOU'RE DONE

Oddometer:
    hey Bruce did you check the weather the first week... every day is rainy and in the 50s. :norton
  19. inmate-n00b

inmate-n00b Ciao, Marco

Oddometer:
    look on the bright side:

hopefully the rain will keep the dust down on the TLH without making it slippery.

the rain should keep the bugs away, but after the rain, they should come back in full force. that's how it was in AK. how do the black flies in Labrador compare with the mosquitoes in Alaska...?

50F means we won't sweat. i can do primitive camping in 50F weather.

you tend to get nice photos just after the rain ends.
  20. lakota

lakota Geeser

Oddometer:
    OMG's got it right - stay positive:D
    you will have a great time!