Adventures of Blaster and Dorito--Trans Lab 2011

Discussion in 'Americas' started by blaster11, Nov 6, 2010.

1. buhhole

buhhole n00b

Oddometer:
    Good point
  2. REAPER_ONE

REAPER_ONE YOU'RE DONE

Oddometer:
  3. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    I don't want to be a party pooper but man, you've got over 900 posts before the ride even starts :huh

Labrador isn't the end of the earth.

Enough chit chat ... get out there and enjoy :deal
  4. CanadianX

CanadianX Don’t leave a steaming pile for others.

Oddometer:
  5. REAPER_ONE

REAPER_ONE YOU'RE DONE

Oddometer:
    we arrived - Plattsburgh, NY :norto
  6. Dmarino

Dmarino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  7. REAPER_ONE

REAPER_ONE YOU'RE DONE

Oddometer:
  8. zombie

zombie lost in space

Oddometer:
    just finished the trans-lab
    no big deal , just took our time and meandered our way through
    [​IMG]
  9. Radioman

Radioman Moto rider

Oddometer:
    Far too clean and shiny :)
  10. BluenoseGuy

BluenoseGuy Adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. Scotty P

Scotty P Funny Like a Clown

Oddometer:

I would like to see more pics of that Tiger loaded for the trip:thumb and what tires he's runn'n
  12. 6USMC6

6USMC6 -U-

Oddometer:
    Ditto.
  13. bmah

bmah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It must be a great feeling to have finished this ride! I've been following the thread for the past few months and will likely be leaving next week solo to run the Trans Lab clockwise. I will be starting from New Hampshire on my Husky TE630. Maybe I will see fellow inmates on the road.:wink:
  14. Hulked Up

Hulked Up Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm leaving Friday for the Trans-Lab from Western Mass. Should be in Baie Comeau on Monday. Also doing a solo clockwise trip.

[​IMG]

Blog and Spot link below...
  15. REAPER_ONE

REAPER_ONE YOU'RE DONE

Oddometer:
    good luck. if you make your way to st. john's, look me up. staying in trinity bay Sun, mon, tue.
  16. Hulked Up

Hulked Up Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I won't have time for a run to St. John's. Going to stick to western Newfoundland, plenty to see there. Maybe I'll see you on the ferry to NS
  17. REAPER_ONE

REAPER_ONE YOU'RE DONE

Oddometer:
    I'm boating from St John's to North Sydney - arrive morning of the 24th. Getting breakfast with an inmate and heading to Calias ME. Or this :dg + :ricky and not this :muutt
  18. Radioman

Radioman Moto rider

Oddometer:
    Might meet up with you on the 24th. Think I will be getting there for the ferry to St john. :)

More ride to eat !
  19. REAPER_ONE

REAPER_ONE YOU'RE DONE

Oddometer:
    Nice. Firefighter651 can meet Radioman. I'm good like that. :beer
  20. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    We have completed the Trans-Lab and came home earlier than planned, 2 got homesick and one has an illness in the family and one stayed on the rock for another week flyfishing....lucky bastard!
    The Trans-Lab was not what I expected, it wasn't the fire breathing beast we're all lead to believe, nasty yes but if respected it is tamable. I mean it when I say you must respect it at all times....one second of loss of 100% concentration and you get a fast reminder that you are flirting with a very dangerous beast! You go from riding semi easily and you start to think of something other than where the best line is or what can happen and BAM! You get quickly reminded where you are and how fast things can go really bad really fast! I didn't learn this very fast....I bet it took me 5 or 6 good wobbles or mild tank slappers to get the drift of it. The grader is the worst part you need to beware of is the grader and the trucks that don't care if they slow down or not. The grader leaves a very loose 10-12 inch berm that if you try and cross at any angle besides 90 degrees or close to it will send you into a flaling display of arms and legs just trying to stay upright. You only need to learn this once! The worst situation was when we had a pick up truck pulling a trailer come towards us at highway speeds and drifted close to our line which was on the far righthand side of our lane, lucily because we would be just a news story if we were in the lefthand side of our lane! We saw many many pick ups towing trailers near Lab City and Churchhill Falls if my memory serves me correctly. All of the others slowed down to save us from the dust or rocks they throw up as they pass.The worst place for deep gravel was just south of Lab City too where the road crosses the train tracks a hundred times or so it seemed. It was close to 6 inches in depth in places and very sandy too. Oh yeh, we were almost run over at the same location by a truck with a flatbed carrying a huge block of steel. He had miss judged the corner and slid into our lane and forced us to take the shoulder and then the ditch to get out of the way. Luckily the shoulder was firm and at the same hieght as the rest of the road and we could move over by 10-12 feet! Most of the shoulders up there are very dangerous as they as reported before are very soft and unpredictable.
    We semi followed a pair of GS riders from Maine and would meet up with them from time to time, but on this section before Lab City one of them came off doing roughly 50mph when he tried to cross the grader berm incorrectly. He hurt his knee and was having trouble riding with it when we met them for the last time. After that we left them and never met them again. Too bad as they were good guys to camp and chat with.
    The weather went from high 80 maybe low 90's the days before we got to Manic 5 to 50 to 60 for most of the Trans-Lab and even at the top of NFLD. We got rain on the second day and the second last day. Both were especially great for me as after an hour my brand new rain suit leaked like a siv every time since....so on my way home I stopped in at Royal Distributing and got my money back!!! Not before asking for the names and phone numbers for the people at the top of the company so I could explain my frustration with the service I got from the store manager who wasn't going to refund my money without a fight! The damned thing was guarranteed for 3 years to be 100% waterproof!! Bullshit!!! Nothing besides 1/8" rubber would be waterproof after what we rode through to get home.
    Any way....I would highly recommend everyone ride the Trans_Lab as soon as they can as the paved sections really ruin the ride and atmosphere of the vastness of the location.
    It was a great ride and I had a blast.....next time I won't pack so much stuff....I won't have so much to unpack tomorrow if I had taken less....:freaky