Adventurizing a KTM 500 Exc

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Migolito, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on doing some longer camping excursions on my 500. Mostly dirt and some secondary slab. I'll be adding the Mosko reckless 80l bags, however, I want to hang them from a bracket due to the weak sub frame. I'm looking at the Globetrottin rack. Any experience with this? Other rx?
    Also, I'm planning on changing the front sprocket to 16t for better road use. Any experience with a 16t?
    Also, I'd like to add some kinda windscreen-more than a simple fly screen-something for a little more coverage. Again suggestions? Maybe a Rally?

The rest of the build. It's already set up for dirt pretty well. I'll be adding:
    1. Bajadesigns Squadron Pro lights
    2. Acerbis 5.3 fuel tank
    3. Replacing the rear spring to account for the extra weight.

Suggestions?
  2. allengt

allengt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Britannia Fairing http://www.britanniacomposites.com/us/ is a great solution for wind protection and great lights. I also have the small Glogetrottin rack and I also Have the Mosko 80L it is a good solution but for larger camping set up the large rack might be better.

Here is my set up: With the 5.3 Gal Tank KTM 350.jpg
    ErÑete, chrisek, MxFan69 and 2 others like this.
  3. Dan950ser

Dan950ser Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer:
    There would be no reason to even consider running a 16 tooth sprocket in my mind. That is way to much gearing for the 500 to even pull. Just run 15/50 or 15/48 and it will be plenty to cruise at 75 at least. I run 14/49 on mine and can run down the freeway at 70 for hours and still ride tough single track. I run the Highway Dirtbikes rallye light fairing with the 5 gallon tank. I have a GL coyote bag and plan on running the globetrottin mini rack. Other creature comforts are heated grips and seat concepts comfort seat. I ran the Britannia Composites Lynx fairing on my 690 and it is nice but pretty heavy and also made of fiberglass. I prefer the HDB setup since the it's made from a high impact plastic for the fairing piece and either aluminum or HDPE. It is also lighter my and runs squadrons for both lights. Here are some pics of my setup.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    ErÑete, Benduro, chrisek and 7 others like this.
  4. 0405canvet

0405canvet Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hoon!!
    bigbrad likes this.
  5. Luke308

Luke308 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Allen & Dan: Are either of you running a cush hub? I see so many conflicting opinions on the necessity of using one.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
    ande2078 likes this.
  6. two trackin fool

two trackin fool Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sweet thanks for this thread ! I will be lurking .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
  7. jackbyo

jackbyo @sunnysideup_mc

Oddometer:
    gketell, Allucaneat and Cuttlefish like this.
  8. K9Scout

K9Scout Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like where this is going. I'm curious about the Cush hub as well. Is it worth the xtra money if not in sumo configuration? I thought the r80 was big on my 690(tons of storage and works great), to big for a 500??? I think the racks would definitely help.
  9. jackbyo

jackbyo @sunnysideup_mc

Oddometer:
    80 litres is overkill IMO, especially on a dirt bike. There's quite a few good rackless options out there if you can keep the volume to 50L or less above the back wheel. Many riders do this with no subframe problems
    AUSSIEADV likes this.
  10. Dan950ser

Oddometer:
    I don't run a Cush hub on my 500 and am not really worried about it. Just know that the clutch rubbers might need to be changed sooner if you doing a ton of pavement. I do have a dedicated dual sport set of wheels and a separate off-road wheels with tubliss.
  11. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    +1, might as well be riding a KLR at that point, the 500 will be handling like one. 80L is a little outside the typical mission parameters for an exc. I would suggest loading up the bike with an equivalent weight and take it for a spin.
    gxshrimp and two trackin fool like this.
  12. Dan950ser

Oddometer:
    +2. You just have to relearn how to pack even lighter. I would look at the 40L bags from GL, Altrider and Mosko. Once I get my rack I will have my coyote bag with all my clothes and camping essentials minus tent poles. Then my soft cooler for food and drink with tent pull cinched to the top and my Enduristan tank bag for my baby wipes, camera etc... This will be my setup for Baja in May on the 500. My buddy @BajaDave will be setting up his 2017 500 for the same trip so it will be interesting to see his build up.
  13. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi

Been doing the DS camping thing for bit now on a 350xcfw and before on a 530excr and before that on a 625sxc and before that on a 640adv.....notice a pattern ???.....less is more : )

Here are my thoughts.

1...you DO NOT need a rack...it is just extra weight...the sub frame is strong enough IF you do not overpack. A rack does not increase your sub frame strength....it still transfers any weight to the subframe. It only gives you unneeded mounting options for luggage.

2) Go light go fast !!! Do not overpack...most folks bring way more than they need...invest in good quality LIGHT and COMPACT gear.

3) the 80l system you are considering is to big !! ...I get by on 55 liter size of rear luggage space + Small Tank Bag + My Camelback Hawg backpack.... (I Run Wolfman E-12 saddle bags + a 30l duffel.

You will tend to pack to the size of your luggage. ..with 80 l of luggage space you WILL over pack.

3) Pay the extra for XL squadron lights...the even wider and longer light pattern is worth it.

4) I agree with others your gearing the bike higher than needed...you will lose to much slow speed handling in the dirt.

4) I use Garmin Montana GPS with their powered ram rugged mount for navigation. ..very happy with it. Add bonus it doubles as a handy camera !

5) living and ridding all over the SW I think the big 5+ gallon tank is to much...very rare that gas is ever more than 150 miles I run the 4.2 gallon size on my 350 and before that the 3.8 on my 530...fuel range was seldom an issue....only came up on the white rim trail and kokepellia trail...both about 160 miles fuel to fuel....and I had no problems....I did carry 2 extra Gatorade bottles with fuel on this ride when I had the 3.8 gl tank...with 4.2 gl tank...I shared fuel with another rider and still got home with fuel to spare. Buy the 4.2 tank...you will be happy.

6) I do not use a cush hub...and I had no problems with driveline wear on my 530 and I put over 15,000 miles on that bike.

7 ) Rider comfort is key to enjoying these rides...dump the stock saddle...the seat concept saddle works well for myself and many others !! Add double take mirrors

Good luck...have fun....keep your load LIGHT !!!! Not over packing is very important.

Scott
    Piedrosa, jdubb75, _David_ and 10 others like this.
  14. K9Scout

K9Scout Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_2707.JPG
    I really enjoy camping with buddies that don't ride. They can haul all my junk and the kitchen sink. It's hell waiting up for them though.
  15. RideFreak

RideFreak Torque Junky

Oddometer:
    These day I roll into a mom n pop hotel, preferably with a hot tub a ice cold beer nearby. A nice steak is a great bonus. Camping is cool but there's a handling sacrifice over the entire trip and the overnight comfort level is usually proportional to the weight you're carrying.
    enduro16, Piedrosa, wheelan and 9 others like this.
  16. brianpc

brianpc Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm evaluating my next bike purchases with this kind of stuff in mind.. 500exc is definitely a contender, but dual sport touring on it will mean motels / hotels, or stays with friends, so I'm not packing a tent w/ sleeping gear and cooking gear on it. I'm sure it can be done, but I'm not in that market right now.
    I'm also evaluating options for a "camp occasionally" long distance dual sport setup, and I'm wrestling between the honda AT, R1200GS, and the 2017 1290 SA "R", all for different reasons - but mainly, they can also hold decent camping gear and supplies.
  17. danptobin

danptobin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The mosco 80 is to wide besides holding to much eeight. The 40L is a good fit though. Stock gearing on my 14 had no problem doing 100mph. What kind of riding will you be doing? Highway to a riding area back roads to a riding area? Long distance to a riding area? If doing lots of highway put on road tires and carry lobbies with you to change out for the trails or your knobbies won't be much good for when the trails get messy. Road tires will also give you much better braking for when some a $$ cut you off and are better in light snow then knobbies.
  18. Bitingdog

Bitingdog That's not my dog

Oddometer:
    Thou shalt use thine cush hub, or the wrath of the worn countershaft shalt plague thou like twenty score of heathen sodomites (or maybe that was locusts? Whatever. It's bad regardless)
    K9Scout, davesupreme and Migolito like this.
  19. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    GREAT stuff!
    1. The luggage. I here ya. I will be carrying my full on SLR setup, so, I think I was over estimating. I'm a gram counting mountaineer, so, I have really lite gear. Perhaps the Mosko 40l. The Mosko will also be going on to my other 'Adv' bike a 1973 Honda CL175(just being completed). Last year I lost my Wolfman Tail bag when the luggage rack broke off, so, I'm a little overly cautious. I'll try sans rack and see where it goes.
    2. The HDB fairing looks like exactly what I was looking for. Just a little something to keep the wind/rain down on slab runs. Love the HDB hand guards I'm running.
    3. Your right, may as well put on the XL. Does the light cover the close in sides/corners well?
    4. I'm running 15/48 right now. Maybe just return to stock 15/45. Just need to try it out with the new tires.
    5. Acerbis makes a 4.1. The Acerbis 5.3 apparently is just slightly wider. Does anyone run this? How does it feel?
    6. Heated gear. Took it to Alaska and used the vest and pants on the Goldwing. Was nice, but, not really needed even in 25 deg weather. Might use my heated glove liners...(?) Again, slab in cold = frozen hands.
    7. I have a Wolfman Tank bag, but, it is in the way when I stand. So, I just replaced it with the WM day tripper.
    7. I'll be doing single track, but, like I say @ NooBs. I'm the worst dirt rider ever. So...

I'll start assembly and farkel buying post NooBs. Stay posted and we'll see how this turns out.

I would say that a 'more street appropriate' bike is in the future (KTM1190/1090, Triumph/BMW 800, AT) but, the wife (RERE) now is part of the forum, so...
  20. danptobin

danptobin Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got the 5.3 acerbis it seems fine to me. Run it full when going long distance but let it run down for less weight for rough offroad. Weight and bulk work against you offroad especially as a beginner like me. If you can take the luggage off for the offroad sections then put it back on before you leave.
    Migolito likes this.