Adventurizing a KTM 500exc for RTW Riding

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by rtwpaul, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Kyron

Kyron Purveyor of Thneeds

Oddometer:
    It'll never work!

:hide

Looking forward to this
    Linguinator and choutos like this.
  2. joenuclear

joenuclear Still here....

Oddometer:
    Allucaneat and Aaron.S like this.
  3. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Firstly before this gets rolling (from me) I will let you know this is not a low budget set up, the bike had a nice and easy first 500 miles but from here on out, I will be doing my best to ride the life out of it daily, then get up and do it all over again the next day.

The bike to me was a screaming deal at $9k which included
    • a high end set of SuMo wheels, PM if you are looking, they are up for sale
    • a rekluse clutch, also up for sale as it doesn't suit my style of riding
    • Akrapovic muffler
    • rear end tail tidy and LED's
    • two sets of brand new tires
    All said and done with what I can sell and what I don't have to buy, I guess I'm in it $7k.

[​IMG]

So I guess to answer a few none KTM owners that follow me and wonder why I bought a 2016 and not a newer 17, 18 or even 19. A few things that made that decision for me is larger oil capacity a kick start, billet triple trees and a solid rear brake rotor, all things that I would have bought, so basically a money saving.

I did find a stock 17 for a similar price but then add just those few things and the price made it not worthwhile.

The 6-days over a stock bike? The 6-days has a slightly higher component level and I couldn't find an equivalent standard 500exc for a better price

There are a few options the way I look at it for what a bike needs to be...

1. A local riding bike - Ride it as is, replace stuff as it breaks with stock or better parts
    2. A TAT, BDR type bike - change the seat, tank, suspension, basic protection
    3. A RTW ready bike - upgrade from stock all parts that are likely to break or fail easily, not satisfy mechanically or visually, increase range, comfort, and protection
    This bike will be #3. It will have to appeal 'to me' for me to want to ride it every day. I just can't get on a bike that doesn't look right in my eyes.

Then it comes down to quality product that is tested, durable and RTW ready. If you are going to take a bike into the middle of nowhere for a long time there is no point trying to save a few $ by buying Chinese eBay crap. Take the pain once and buy quality from companies that stand behind their product and actually answer the phone.

Go back to post #1 so I can explain that map and route a little.

The US, Canada, and Baja are what I consider a test ride, a warm-up if you will, gives me time to get the bike exactly as I want it, comfort, performance, and adventure ready. If at the end of the 'test' anything needs changing or upgrading I will be in the US to do that easily.

Then follow that dotted line...this is where hell begins, otherwise known as Siberia, shipping into Magadan, and hitting acronyms like RoB, OSR, BaM, from there a triple crossing of Mongolia then into the 'stans, then onto a complete loop of the TET.

Let's begin...

Quick simple swap from the stock muffler to the Akro...it was in the box so just threw it on, done.

The other swap was to take out the Rekluse and put the stock unit back in, I noticed that the Rekluse gasket had a minor crack/ tear but thought nothing of, the Rekluse is in the flea market if anyone is interested in a unit with around 300 miles on it at a bargain price.

[​IMG]

Next up protection, the bike will be taking abuse, lots of it so it, protection and stronger parts where necessary that could take abuse. It needs a bash plate a sturdy one, a very sturdy 5mm Enduro Engineering Extreme bash plate

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Was done for the day, came out the next day to carry on as stuff was arriving and the bike was on the lift and a small drop of oil was on the ground, but from where?

The bike had been on its side stand and when I dropped the oil it did seem a little low, but I had changed anyway back to stock levels. Looked all over and nothing obvious until I looked closer.

obviously, one of the PO's had been a little overzealous on the hardware and tested the strength of the clutch housing case, putting it back to stock must have been enough for a hairline crack to appear

[​IMG]

So the question, replace with a stock one or aftermarket, I had planned to add protection over it, but as the stock cover and protection was north of $130 it seemed a lot more logical to upgrade to a Hinson cover

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Round the other side, I called Cain @trailjammer who coincidentally I had interviewed (have a read) and got his stator cover so now protected both sides, trailjammer designs covers are tried and tested and way better than the other plastic options.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Mr Head, GringoRider, LM15 and 37 others like this.
  4. Cycle_Path

Cycle_Path Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That trail jammer emblem will last about 50 miles of riding.lol. I opted for scotch brite mine so its just silver now. MY 16 500 exc at 4800 miles only left me stranded once. IT wasn't the bikes fault it was the internal fuel filter. Crazy that even here in America my fuel turned to blackened sludge inside. I'd advise carrying many fuel filters and some easy attachments to make them easier to exchange them out in the middle of nowhere. Since then I only buy ethanol free stuff. Have you checked out the motominded. com wire organizer and pci slot charger? The rats nest behind the light is the only thing I would actually worry about on a RTW ride on mine. Also the negative wire from the battery to the frame often gets frayed. That's it, these bikes are insanely reliable.
  5. Dracula

Dracula On a Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    How many hours on each?
  6. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not important, but the TJ logo and the rest of the cover still look great on mine after a couple thousand D/S miles.
    jays100 and rtwpaul like this.
  7. vipers

vipers Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    20171224_081519.jpg
    Nice bike choice. I have the same skid plate too, works well for oil changes. I've got 8k and only basic maintenance and in line fuel filter changes. I'll be watching.
    Xchemie, davyjones, bike and 8 others like this.
  8. DIRTLER

DIRTLER Long timer

Oddometer:
    Speaking of which, I was wondering on the newer generation models as you had mentioned, what is your thought on this broken engine case via swing arm bolt area. Loose motor mounts or? Glad this RTW rider selected the model he did as it ''IS'' proven. #8312 #8337 Or did they go a little too far as you suggested?
  9. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    I broke a clutch cover like that, it wasn't from over-tightening, the issue in my case was I had a Rekluse, and if you don't buy their deeper aftermarket clutch cover, you instead use a thick gasket. In my case that gasket compressed or broke down so the bolt hole was not well supported from underneath, so it cracked like that. So I replaced it with the Rekluse cover which uses a regular-thickness gasket (or o-ring, I forget) and no problems since.

Not that it matters to you since you're ditching the rekluse but you mentioned the crack in the gasket and the broken clutch cover and it reminded me... to whom it may concern.
  10. Mountainhound

Mountainhound Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would be worried about all those holes in the skid plate.
    dgeezer likes this.
  11. ADV67

ADV67 Alsace rider

Oddometer:
    Subscribed! I am really looking forward to see the bike build details and will follow the travel!

I bought a stock 500 EXC 2016 sixdays lately with 5400mi to transform it for for purpose #2, Paul obviously prepares for purpose #3 RTW.

[​IMG]
  12. Dracula

Oddometer:
    If I ever come out of this thread without my first ever KTM, I'll never consider getting one again. I always wanted a KTM, just didn't know which one to get, I mean which would be most fun!
    StanBo and rtwpaul like this.
  13. Magus

Magus Never grew up... Supporter

Oddometer:
    690 / 500 for Dual Sport. It’s hard to go wrong and I am not dissing any of the smaller bikes either. When I finally bit the bullet and got a 500 XC-W, I realized I had found something special ;)
    Racerman27410, Junya, rtwpaul and 2 others like this.
  14. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you decide to go with a stainless oil filter, be aware they can seat in there pretty tight and a special tool (or method) may be needed to get it out for cleaning. Even the paper filters can be a bugger to get out.
  15. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    If not reusing the stock OEM paper filter you can just take a ice pick or small flat blade driver and poke it through the center of the filter at a 45 degree angle to extract it.

Not sure which way you are going with luggage RTWPaul but I have been running some sub-150 mile day rides on my 501 testing out these loaded 27 ltr per side saddlebags which are throw overs with two straps and four attachments for side racks. So far so good and I do like how the weight is carried low on the bike and not having to throw the leg over a 45" high bundle on the rear fender.

Will be interested to see the route you take with luggage for your ride. I'm assuming you most likely will require some suspension spring changes to accommodate everything you are taking along.

upload_2019-3-9_19-24-22.png

upload_2019-3-9_19-28-14.png
    davyjones, MihaiVeniamin and jays100 like this.
  16. Dracula

Oddometer:
    I know Paul had used extensively his 690 in other RR before, and so I am intrigued by his new choice. I know he is a big guy who can use more bike, so to my mind it made sense his prior choice.
  17. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    For the stock paper filter replacement, I just use a magnet.

Embarrassed to admit this, but I had to drill out the Scott's oil filter I used to have. I tried magnets, picks, hemostats, pliers, cussing and praying and could not get the thing out.
  18. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    I'm gonna say no on the s/s oil filters this time around for this KTM, have them on my Suzuki and Yamaha but the KTM is a little more refined. I had one on my last KTM and I think it might have been part of the cause of its demise on that bikes RTW.

I wrote an article for the editorial front page HERE you might find interesting to read, but don't skip the comments section there are some good thoughts and opinions in there as well, it generated some decent discussion
  19. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    Luggage is a thing that's always an issue for a RTW, the problem is you need to pack for four seasons so you have no choice but to seem overloaded.

Right now while this build thread is in progress I am in talks with a lot of very specific manufacturers and the plan is to create a 4 season detailed pack list with good solid hi-end gear, that has the smallest pack size available in each required area but still be covered for all seasons and I'm not talking about hating life in a bivvy for days on end or wearing the same clothes for 3 months at a time.

By the time I finish this thread, I will have that together to share as well
    Mark Thom, Xchemie, 'Bob' and 28 others like this.
  20. mak

mak n00b

Oddometer:

so glad this build thread is happening!!
    dgeezer, Hopey, torch and 2 others like this.