Adventurizing a KTM 500exc for RTW Riding

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by rtwpaul, Mar 7, 2019.

1. TobyG

TobyG SlothRacing.eu - Travel and Racing Products

Oddometer:
    Curious on how the luggage will turn out.

And the rest of the bike, of course, this is gonna be good, I bet. :lurk
    rtwpaul likes this.
  2. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pegs...stock ones are just too small to be standing all day!

Flea market to the rescue, I was looking at the KTM adventure pegs, a quick scan of the flea market and I saved about $50 for an as new pair

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Down in that same area more for peace of mind, stock shifter and brake pedal had to go, replaced with Hammerhead set up and a brake snake added for all that long grass, roots and such that could potentially cause an issue in Siberia hiding in 100's of water crossing and puddles deep enough to hide a beetle

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Up on the bars these have to go, sorry KTM but they are crap, these have 500 miles on them and are coming apart already!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My preference is for 714 rally grips, for me, they are the most comfortable and long lasting, and $10. I know everybody will have an opinion on grips but each to his own...

to show you the longevity, these are the original 714's on my Super Tenere with 62,000 miles of riding

[​IMG]

I get a mild hand cramp sometimes when riding, if you look at your hand there is an indent in the middle

[​IMG]

when a tight grip on the bars is necessary it flexes that part of my hand and a cramp happens, I counteract that by using a technique in the grips used on the older British bikes...raising the middle section so your whole palm is always on the grip.

This is easy to do with a small build up of electrical tape.

[​IMG]

makes the grips a bitch to get on but when they are on there I add a few wraps of safety wire to stop rotational slippage

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. TheNetworker

TheNetworker Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
  4. Dracula

Dracula On a Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very curious how does the "brake snake" work.. I never heard of it. :dunno
  5. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    Cyath, petew, chefGSpot and 8 others like this.
  6. Piggdekk

Piggdekk love speed, hate rush

Oddometer:
    I'm more of a RTB (Round The Block) type of rider, but in my wife's cabinets vacuum bags work like a charm to store 4 (or probably 6 or 7) seasons. Would that be doable on a motorbike luggage? I'm sure there has to exist some kind of small manual vacuum hand pump so You don't need a dyson vaccum cleaner with You.
    ChicoProf and rtwpaul like this.
  7. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    One thought I had if ever I was to rig an enduro bike for travel, is to pop off the top end and add a 0.25 mm thicker base gasket to give a very slight lowering of compression.. This slight detune would hardly be noticeable while at the same time add a little safety factor if you happen to get some bad fuel.. Interesting to see what you come up with to brace the subframe for luggage..
    chasbo, dunc289, dgeezer and 2 others like this.
  8. Piggdekk

Piggdekk love speed, hate rush

Oddometer:
    On a highly tuned engine like the 500's this will increase squish distance and probably increase the chances of pinging, not reduce them. If I was going to reduce compression I would probably machine a bit the center of the piston, but leave the combusiton chamber geometry unaltered.
    What You are suggesting would have worked on a G/S, but on newer engines there are better ways of doing it.
    luca
    tobiism, JagLite and rtwpaul like this.
  9. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to the packing detail. On some trips my version of laundry has been a trip to the nearest Walmart and a walk past a dumpster with the stinky stuff. T-shirts are cheap.

I wonder is Siberia has a Walmart? Swing through for some tighty-whities and a handle of vodka....
    Dillard, HiJincs and rtwpaul like this.
  10. HickOnACrick

HickOnACrick Groovinator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Paul, regarding clothing: Through-hikers of the AT and PCT swear by Ex-officio boxers, Merino wool baselayers, and Darn Tough socks.

I have been using these items for a few years now. The Ex-Officio boxers last for years, dry quickly, and don't stink as much. Merino wool does not dry as quickly as synthetic, nor will it last quite as long, but can be worn comfortably for days without acquiring the stink. Under-Armor type synthetic shirts start stinking fast and never lose the smell, even after a wash. Cotton does not smell as bad, but takes forever to dry. The Darn Tough sock brand offers a variety of different lengths and thicknesses. Like the Merino Wool, they can be worn for days without stinking, and they come with a lifetime warranty.

Darwin On The Trail has a plethora of youtube videos discussing gear he uses or has used for through-hikes. Much of his intel can be applied to moto-travel.
  11. MP5

MP5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great thread RTWPaul. Been following you for a while now. Excellent choice for a bike too. Love my 500 exc. Started a complete overhaul to it a few weeks ago, for prep on a west coast of NL trip this summer. And yes, take extra in tank fuel filters. They get gummed up quick. I have a fuel sock, change out my inline filters regularely and use only 91 octane with Seafoam 100% of the time...and you can see the black shite that came out of my filter. That is from the fuel pump components breaking down inside the tank. Replaced everything...but will be swapping out in tank filters every 15 hrs or so from now on...just so I dont get stranded like my buddy on his 15 Husky 501 last summer in the Maine woods.

Love your build man...

20190210_230138.jpg

20190221_175822.jpg

20190221_225511.jpg

20190215_124235.jpg
    choutos and drewis like this.
  12. MP5

MP5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A few more

20190211_163340.jpg

20190215_120305.jpg

20190210_231243.jpg

20190215_124235.jpg
    boboneleg likes this.
  13. MP5

MP5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In tank filter and a few other add ons

20190210_234917.jpg

20190210_234938.jpg

20190215_120326.jpg

20190228_080956.jpg
    LM15, ADV67 and rtwpaul like this.
  14. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey MP5, are you going east at all on the island? Our moto B&B will have a soft opening this year.

As for the brake snake, good idea but I think I'm going to a Clake left hand rear brake and I'll probably remove the foot brake entirely.
    rtwpaul likes this.
  15. MP5

MP5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. benjamin1031

benjamin1031 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I respect any company that wishes you to use their gear. Partially because you use these products in just about every condition imaginable, but mostly because we know you’ll shoot us straight on how well or bad the product did. So if a company asks you to use their stuff I know they are truly interested in being better not just some RTW traveler to get their name out there...
  17. Dracula

Dracula On a Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you!
    rtwpaul likes this.
  18. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    I had the same thought a few years back, I found some HD vacuum bags with a one-way valve, no Dyson required. I then lined them with duct tape to add strength...they last about 3 months.

I then came up with a different solution, I'll add it here once I get to the packing stage
  19. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    I resemble that remark!
    There is a whole lot of nothing in Siberia...but vodka is one thing that isn't in short supply...ANYWHERE!
    alvincullumyork and EZ-D like this.
  20. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    good thoughts, I pretty much use what you are saying already and have for years, but i'll check out the vids