Adventurizing a KTM 500exc for RTW Riding

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by rtwpaul, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Royce Cochran

Royce Cochran was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    That black stuff in the in-tank filter is most likely carbon from the brushes in the fuel pump.
    Here is one I cut open... some people are using a little 2 stroke oil in their gas to help lube the pump.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    nzrian, rtwpaul, Fast1 and 3 others like this.
  2. Dracula

Dracula On a Timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now, that's really pushing it? Just wondering how do you adjust your riding reflexes to use something like that :scratch

:eekers
  3. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    If Clake makes a lever that still allows you to retain the rear brake pedal, I think I would go that route.......although...........if you do run a Clake it might not be too easy to get a replacement in Bumphuk, Newfoundland if you brake a lever. At least sticking with KTM, levers are much easier to come by.

Paul;
    Please correct your install of the Rally pegs......cotter pin should be on the bottom.

Droptarotter's rule of fasteners.........Bolt or Pin ALWAYS gets inserted from the TOP ( if you can) so that if you lose the nut/cotter pin/circlip, the bolt/pin will at least be retained by gravity!

Cheers
    LM15, brianpeck, nzrian and 2 others like this.
  4. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    30C729D4-93F5-453A-B273-42526549174C.jpeg F75624B8-5FB4-4756-8CC3-9F850784438E.jpeg Great choice in bikes Paul. Mine has been going strong for 19 years now and only needs a few maintenance parts for a RTW, at least the bike is ready!!
  5. gunnerbuck

gunnerbuck Island Hopper

Oddometer:
    I have reduced compression in such a way on the older KTM lc4 engines and it did make it into a much smoother engine which is easy to feel on a rattle platform like that.. Likely it also reduced chances of detonation..

Ideally machining the piston crown would be the way to go, but it is a change that can not be undone without replacement if it does not provide the desired results..
    rtwpaul and dunc289 like this.
  6. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    My problem is my right foot does not extend from an old skiing injury which makes such that I can’t use the foot brake at all riding off-road hence me wanting a Clake, I can get a spare leve4 when I buy it.
    RTWstare and Dracula like this.
  7. MP5

MP5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just came from the Clake site. Apparently there's been quite a number of riders who have gone back to oem levers (or others) from a Clake because of maintenance issues, and are finding it difficult to get any tech support from Clake except through phone calls...to Australia..between 8 and 9 am...their time...lol

However, I have been considering a Clake One for a few yrs now, as my 50 yr old left arm is getting some serious arm pump from that stock dds clutch. Would love to make it lighter, and no, the Mid West Clever Lever did not fit properly.
    rtwpaul and JagLite like this.
  8. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lots of offroad riders run the cotter pin up since it's not smacked to death by rocks in a few hours. It means you have to watch it like a hawk, but maybe you won't put a foot down to nothing. And that's not a conventional cotter pin I noticed...
  9. DIRTLER

DIRTLER Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. adventurebound9517

adventurebound9517 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hello Paul, it always amazes me how your build threads always seem to take on a life of there own. It's great to see how many people are trying to help you build the perfect bike and keep you safe. I have been following you since tour last KTM build and RTW adventure. :clap
  11. jm19328

jm19328 2020 KTM 500 Exc

Oddometer:
    Wow i didn't know the Adventure pegs bolted right up? Thats a awesome idea i want a set for my 500!

Linguinator and tobiism like this.
  12. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    exactly I have companies contact me, not the other way around because they want a straight answer about their product out in real-world use
    RTWstare, Linguinator and EZ-D like this.
  13. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    Sorry going to have to correct you here because certain rules that ALWAYS apply don't always apply due to the situation in hand.

The newer KTM side stand is the one item I think I have read the most about failure, so a Simple swap is to use a better quality component, like Pro-moto-billet

[​IMG]

Due to the mounting bracket, I could insert the pin as you suggest with the head at the high point, but the mounting it in reverse, head of the pin downwards it is now IMPOSSIBLE for the pin to come out unless the side stand falls off first.

[​IMG]

I get rid fo the cotter pins due to the lack of quality, they are basically single-use cotter pins (so worthless to me), the absolute worst quality I have ever seen in over 25 years in the motorcycle business. I replace with hardened steel hair clip pins and then as added security bend one end over to secure it, but also at the same time this can be taken out and reused.

For the peg to come off I would have a lot more things to worry about believe you me.

and this ⇧⇧⇧⇧⇧ is the other reason, it is way more prone to damage
    glittleman, LM15, 'Bob' and 12 others like this.
  14. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    They come up in the Flea market all the time, when I bought mine there were three sets for sale
    jm19328 and EZ-D like this.
  15. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 on Patagucci boxers. I don’t care for the company but their boxers will survive the apocalypse.
  16. Royce Cochran

Royce Cochran was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    One of my riding buddies had an in-tank filter split on a ride we were on in CO a couple of years ago. He replaced it with one of these... :dunno
    [​IMG]
    rtwpaul likes this.
  17. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    DOH..........point taken...........but go back and read my post......in brackets......(If you can)

Cheers
    rtwpaul likes this.
  18. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    "Might" be retained, better chance anyway.
  19. EZ-D

EZ-D Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
  20. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer: