Adventurizing a KTM 500exc for RTW Riding

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by rtwpaul, Mar 7, 2019.

1. fredz43

fredz43 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Illinois (right by that road with a curve in it)
    Curious as to why don't you care for the company. I ask because I have been a customer for years and really like their Capalene base layers.

Thanks.
    Luckycharms, Treadless and Davidprej like this.
  2. rtwpaul

rtwpaul out riding... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Funny how a build thread about a 500 EXC turns into a conversation about underwear...:kat
  3. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    Anyhow...

Everything you read on the internet is true...Abraham Lincoln.

Somewhere the other night on the interwebs I read that a rear wheel from an early 640 adventure will fit a 2016exc...what, really drive on opposite sides, different generation, but it was one of the first bigger bikes KTM made with a cush hub.

I don't have an early model 640 Adventure but I do have the next best thing, a 625 sxc, basically, the same bike just with all the crap stripped off it to make it a lightweight enduro...for back then.

So this is just an FYI post for those of you that want a cush drive rear wheel for you EXC but can't afford or justify it...Honest Abe was right!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Flip it around put it in, its perfectly spaced

[​IMG]

just so you know there's no camera trickery

[​IMG]

Now go search Craigslist for someone parting out a 640ADV and get yourself a cheap cush drive wheel

+++++++++++

Normal build thread will be resumed when I get my ass in gear and mount some more parts

4. fredz43

fredz43 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Illinois (right by that road with a curve in it)
    Yeah, SBTMF :-)
  5. DIRTLER

DIRTLER Long timer

Oddometer:
    That worked out great! I do remember when Aaron.S in doing his RTW trip, he went through a few sets of rear wheel bearings so some extras might be a good idea to carry along? Great build...
    Aaron.S likes this.
  6. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agreed and another reason I wont use them.
    Linguinator and Dracula like this.
  7. boboneleg

boboneleg we can rebuild him.

Oddometer:
    Great stuff , I'm in.

Thanks once again Paul for saving me from the dross on the tele :jive
    Linguinator likes this.
  8. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    For Siberia, Mongolia and the 'stans, seals can be just as important as bearings (@Aaron.S) overload them with grease, check them regularly and packing them with your gear is way lighter, smaller and easier than loads of bearings.

This is all because of hundreds and hundreds of water crossings, rivers, steams, puddles etc
    Linguinator, M3B, JagLite and 2 others like this.
  9. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    Paul, that picture of my 520 has one of my spare 640 cush wheels installed.

Try and find some stainless wheel spacers as the seals won't eat the surface like on the stock aluminum spacers. I think I have some EE spacers on my bikes??

Cheers
  10. Aaron.S

Aaron.S Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are a sealed bearing but I have done the grease as well. I think it's more the extra weight. They are pretty small really so not a big deal to carry a couple. I'm anal about weight but I've seen and had too many go out not to have at least one. Now I have the Haan cush drive. They have used a slightly larger bearing and been a cushdrive there are three of them. It is also hard to check them as that burnt me the first time they went out when they felt good on replacement of a tyre (I checked and a mechanic at a KTM dealer)and they went out about 500k later. I've got into the habit of giving the rear wheel a wiggle when lubing the chain.
    I would also look at replacing the front swingarm OEM chain guide with something different once it's worn out. I used the TM design one last time and it's lasted way longer than stock. I'll probably do the full set next time I do a chain. Dirt Tricks washer is a must and case saver has saved me once. I had high hopes for the Pro Moto Billet stand after breaking 3 stock. On my second Pro moto now and probably need a third. Hefty spring in it which is good but weak on the inside and starts to bend the plate and get loose. I got a email back from their customer support that said I should of been using my hand to raise it so it wouldn't flick up. WTF?? It's a kickstand not a handstand.
    The only reason I got another is because now I've used it that part of my frame looks like shit if I go back to a different style.
    I also replaced the rear spring with a stiffer one. I'm 6ft and around 185.
    Great build.
    ADV67 likes this.
  11. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    So we are on the same page I am talking about #6, the seal FOR the bearing, not the sealed bearing

Screen Shot 2019-03-11 at 3.10.41 PM.png

That seal holds additional grease in the bearing area, the further east you go the worse it will get and ths will wear out allowing dust, grit, dirt, silt, bull dust to access your bearings, these weigh nothing cost nothing, but will help save your bearings if packed well with grease

Part # 0760324771 for the rear
    Part # 0760354771 for the rear

I've already ridden where you're headed, just an FYI

...and as Brian said above if you can find some S/S spacers, the aluminum ones do wear and once they do then they wear the seals a lot quicker which in turn wears the bearing quicker
    Linguinator and BelgardaBuddy like this.
  12. jon_l

jon_l Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pictures, or it didn't happen.

:hide
    Linguinator and Droptarotter like this.
  13. Droptarotter

Droptarotter Long timer

Oddometer:
    I usually pull one of the seals on the bearing and make sure the bearing is packed full of a good waterproof wheel bearing grease, then I put more of the same grease between the bearing #4 and the seal #6 to try and keep water/debris out.

Stock part #7 will get worn out by seal #6. Here's a replacement;
    https://enduroeng.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=35_102

Cheers
  14. Fast1

Fast1 Twisted Throttle

Oddometer:
    I'm sure most of you know this but adding a good coating of grease on the inner side of the seal and end of the axle spacer along with the axle before sliding it through the bearing/hub assembly can pay dividends to bearing longevity and ease of removal.

LM15, Linguinator, Schuk and 4 others like this.
  15. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am truly an sorry for contributing the following, but...

After wearing Exofficio for years - I swear this design is a game-changer:

https://www.saxxunderwear.com/collections/quest
  16. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is so much fun I think I'm going to build up my 525 on a very similar vein just for shits and giggles. That way I can actually join in the conversation.:lol3
  17. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^ you should buy some new boxers while you're at it. :amazon
  18. RedHawk47

RedHawk47 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Something to consider if you are thinking about this option:
    Back in the day when hubs had flanges and spokes had a right angle bend at the head the proper way to lace the wheel was with the "pulling" spokes on the outside of the flange (the head on the inside). This made a stronger wheel because the spoke had some support from the flange and the greater angle from the centerline. I know someone who recently had a custom built wheel of this style "blow up" because it was built for the opposite rotation direction.
    Your new wheel has straight spokes which are much stronger but the pulling spokes are the inside set. Is this a concern?

Dan[/QUOTE]
  19. rtwpaul

Oddometer:
    I am sending it off to be relaced anyway, as its out of true from last time in Siberia, so when it returns it'll be laced in the right direction, thanks for bringing that up though, a lot of 'newer' riders won't know that kind of stuff
  20. RedHawk47

RedHawk47 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think that that hub cannot be lace the other way; it looks like the drive side spoke holes are angled (not parallel to the centerline of the bike).
    Dan
    Fast1 and Dracula like this.