Adventurizing a KTM 500exc for RTW Riding

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by rtwpaul, Mar 7, 2019.

1. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Bags in bags in bags, then in some bags! They add weight and volume. A tube for instance if packed sufficiently doesnt need a bag.

Mosko Moto, nice gear. It does look as though they have made the latest luggage along the lines of the Kriega gear.
  2. AdvMoto18

AdvMoto18 NORDO Supporter

Oddometer:
    Coastal SC Low Country / Land of Shrimp & Grits
    All those non-Mosko bags probably weigh less than 1#. And to keep things organized based on need is crucial. You don't want to be unpacking EVERYTHING for a few necessary things in the middle of a T-storm or snow storm, at night.

I think Paul has it down to an art with his multiple RTW creds.

Go over to the Mosko Moto vendor thread, @Sideoff has a very good historical review of rackless bags (somewhere in the last 100 pages...or so).
    Ginger Beard and tlrmark like this.
  3. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    He buys it every day and stores/carries just a small amount.
  4. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    ”Probably”? :hmmmmm

”And to keep things organized based on need is crucial. You don't want to be unpacking EVERYTHING for a few necessary things in the middle of a T-storm or snow storm, at night.“ Where was the pump? Where were the warm clothes and how many bags to get to them?

Paul says “we carry too much”, meaning us. Maybe some, but plenty dont. Now going by that comment, it allows us to point out some obvious points with Pauls setup like the amount of bags. Keep it in perspective. Paul has a good setup, but so do plenty of others and it may differ from his.
    Fast1 likes this.
  5. spaceman_spiff

spaceman_spiff Long timer

Oddometer:
    It seems like you're looking to be offended for some reason?
    I'm pretty sure he said in his video that what works for him won't work for everyone else.
    Luckycharms likes this.
  6. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    You are over reading it for some reason. I took it as light hearted and not trying to say he has done it wrong. What he has done works for him. My further responses were to ADVmoto18. They are just observations nothing more. No need for people to get defensive.
    AdvMoto18 and spaceman_spiff like this.
  7. AdvMoto18

Oddometer:
    I don't think anyone is getting defensive. And I sure wasn't trying to cast stones at AussieAdv's post, just make an observation based on what Paul said in the video. Perhaps I am misinterpreting AussieAdv's post.

I haven't ridden RTW, but, I have done plenty of multi-week/month regional rides in Asia, Central/South and of course North America. Most of these rides were not out in the boonies for many days/weeks on end, but rather adventure rides. Almost always passing through towns and villages daily (got to buy fuel for the moto somewhere). Easy to score a meal or two during the day or pick up some groceries for consumption at that night's camp site.

I carry a Solo Stove Lite for boiling water for tea/coffee in the morning. Pretty easy to find a bunch of twigs to burn; and if scarce, I carry the alcohol insert. I'm not a big fan of carrying throw away fuel canister/burners or a dedicated fuel burning stove. Fortunately, there are many fuel/burner options to choose, so there is likely one to suit one's fancy. I particularly detest even the best, gourmet, freeze dried, boil water and add food. I consider that kind of food emergency rations. I will eat Good To Go meals if I'm really hungry (emergency hunger ;)) and I have one in the bag. But, I'd much rather eat a handful of nuts and/or canned fruit and hope to find a meal the next day.

I can count on 1 hand the number of flats I have in 10+ years on these regional rides. So I tend to pack my pump down low as well since it is rarely needed. I seldom carry a tube(s), especially in developing countries. 2 wheeled moto/scooter travel is usually the norm in many of these places. There is at least one scooter/moto wrench shop in every village. The local wrench will have tubes. Most likely not the precise size for my moto spec, but, a tube that will likely get me to the next major town with more moto shops with inventory.

I'm old and 6 decades ago learned how to patch tubes because tubes were expensive, patch kits not so much and I had to wait until Saturday for my parents to drive to the nearest big town if I had the coin to buy a new tube. So it was an easy decision...patch and ride! I've ridden a few tubes as a youngster that looked like a patch quilt! The internet with online ordering and instant gratification with 2 hour delivery wasn't around until well after I became a retiree.

I probably carry a bit more than Paul, but, not much, especially tools. My tool roll is one aspect of my kit I'm trying hard to reduce. What can I say, I like tools!
    AUSSIEADV likes this.
  8. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    I wassnt having a serious dig just a light hearted pointing at a few things. Paul saying “you take too much” allowed me to make a few comments with nothing behind them. He does like his bags though!

Im running Kriega. They are brilliant. Ive had a few get offs and it astounds me how well they have stood up. Now if i had the choice i would have been running the Mosko Moto. I reckon these guys have got it sewn up. We cant buy them locally in Aus though which is a real bitch. The cost to ship out here and exchange rate was just over the top. The way the Kriegas are going id say they will see me out.

I totally agree with Paul. Its so easy to pack too much. I used to. Theres no need to these days with lightness, compactness without compromising quality. We are lucky in this day and age with the likes of the 500EXC and the camping gear on offer.

Im in my 60’s and im not done yet!

Cheers guys.

Al.

8B2DDE1C-4277-4808-BBFB-B7598F3F4E79.jpeg

41BA6B4F-FB2F-4CBD-83E4-1DAD13C397A6.jpeg
  9. AdvMoto18

Oddometer:
    Cheers Al!

I'm 65yo and not done either. Although today's riding style is such that I can get out of bed and ride tomorrow. Risk management takes on a new meaning in the 60s since we don't bounce as well as we did in our 20s. Or heal nearly as quickly!

Nice machine! I like the rally headlight kit!

Bill
    steved57, JagLite, cprbusa and 3 others like this.
  10. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The comment of the tube in a bag-I’m pretty sure that bag is actually a fender bag. Paul & I we’re talking about that when we were doing bike prep however many months ago.

For myself I don’t like his chair, maybe I can do a fit for my Kermit chair on my 525.:D
    AUSSIEADV likes this.
  11. arr2

arr2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    RTWPaul who makes the skid plate with the tool box? I have looked thru the thread, but cant find it.
  12. Specularius

Specularius Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. arr2

arr2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you Specularious,.
  14. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    oh yeah. My foot last year from going slow!

4571E403-4130-4570-8D1F-36EB97D0EF35.jpeg
    AdvMoto18 and a2zworks like this.
  15. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    Yeah it looked like a fender bag.

My Helinox is pretty compact and light.

039DC7B4-19A5-47B2-B9F2-CF4AF8DD8FF8.jpeg
    JagLite and BLucare like this.
  16. AdvMoto18

Oddometer:
    Ouch!

Sorry to see that....

I don't necessarily go slow...
    Got to have momentum working for you!

Let's just say, I don't blast single track through a tight pine tree forest like I did 20+ years ago.
    Or ride like I stole it in technical terrain.

But, I love speed always have...why I know longer ride a sport bike because the reflexes (and more importantly, eye sight) just aren't what they used to be and the brain still begs to push WOT at every chance.
  17. AdvMoto18

Oddometer:
    Love the Helinox chair!

Loved the chair so much, I bought the Cot Lite for camping off the BMW R1200GS. The cot fits into a sleeve about the size of a tent pole bag and weighs not much more. Talk about luxury sleeping in a tent while camping off a moto!

But the Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL2 Bikepack tent Paul turned me onto is the best. Amazing BA can make a tent packing this small yet holds up well in a pretty good breeze. I still own and use Hilleberg tents but they are much heavier and take up far more packing space than the BA Bikepack tent. If I were camping south of Puerto Montt, Chile, I'd likely take the Hille Unna due to wild winds in that part of the world.

I only wish the tub walls of the BA Bikepack tent were a bit higher to block a cold breeze. But, the relatively low tub wall is industry typical for a lightweight 2 person tent.

Yet, the stiffest wind I've camped in was north of Bahia LA (Baja) on the Sea of Cortez. I don't know what the wind speed actually was, but it blew my BMW from one side of the road to the other. It was a bit scary a couple of times. We later found out wind gusts were in excess of 70MPH that day.
    petew likes this.
  18. AUSSIEADV

AUSSIEADV 2wo left foots

Oddometer:
    our riding sounds similar. I dont go slow usually. I dont go flat out but ride at a sufficient pace.

The foot never hurt. It didnt hurt when i did it, operated on, or beyond. Just never was uncomfortable. Too far from the brain id say!

Last weekend. Sorry for the whistling camera and doubled up footage in spots.

19. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You should stay to the right on blind left turns on dirt roads, people die from ploughing head on into oncoming vehicles.
    AdvMoto18 likes this.
  20. SRG

SRG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Perhaps not in Aussie land.

I found riding on the left in South Africa disconcerting. Driving a car (on the left) much less so.
    JagLite, AdvMoto18 and AUSSIEADV like this.