Adventurizing a KTM 500exc for RTW Riding

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by rtwpaul, Mar 7, 2019.

1. Kshaw

Kshaw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Been messing with my reckless 80 for a couple days on my 2021 500 exc and I’m trying to decide if I should keep it or not. My plan is to only use the legs, and leave the top beaver tail empty most of the time. This would keep the weight low and forward while leaving the tail of the bike empty.

I am worried about exhaust burns though since it seems to hover above the exhaust a few inches in the back. Any issues with this? I do not want to add a rack if I can help it.

On mosko vendor thread they suggest burning new holes to angle the legs up more but I’m hesitant to try this in case I want to return it.
    Magile likes this.
  2. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    If the bike is stock height, you may have the wrong stand. Measure it and check with PMB.
    Buildzall and renogeorge like this.
  3. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have been thinking about that. Seems like a good possibility, given the sh*tshow it was working with them. As we all know by now, COVID created a high demand and severe shortages of adventure bike gear. Fastway/ProMotoBillet was one of the hardest hit - good for their revenue, but terrible for business operations. After talking with them for a while, and getting a "good faith" estimate on the backorder time frame (3-5 weeks - seems reasonable), I ordered the stand on June 24th, knowing I didn't really need it until a few days before our planned trip on August 15th to run the NEBDR for a week. Well, the long and the short of it is that they had the mechanism back in stock in that time frame, but for some reason the machining run for the specific kickstand leg made for my 2014 350 EXC never got done until the week AFTER my trip in August. After all the confusion and seemingly inept management of their production resources, the most likely answer is that they shipped me the wrong stand. However, I see that the stand is currently on backorder now, so I can't see how they could make it right even if they did ship me the wrong part.

They make great products, but I think the have to reconsider how they are managing the business operations - probably just some hacks that like bikes and got lucky. Now they are well over their heads, so I will have to factor that into all of my future buying decisions. I suggest others consider this as well if you are in the market for any of their products that are on backorder.
    tlrmark, JagLite and Bt10 like this.
  4. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    Have you compared the length to your OEM stand?
    Fast1 likes this.
  5. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    I have also been frustrated with delays from PMB and other suppliers during COVID times. But I think you are reading in a lot from your experience. I have found PMB to be very professional, certainly not a bunch of hacks. FWIW
    LJC, JagLite and Wattner like this.
  6. powderpig

powderpig Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It would be a pretty simple repair for a welder to just shorten it. Might be easier than going through the hassle of an exchange.
    Burro driver likes this.
  7. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    It's made from billet aluminum and is pricey. I don't think I would chance cutting and welding it. If it's the wrong stand, PMB/Fastway should conjure up a replacement. Email or phone them to verify the length. If the length is right, there is an issue with the height of the bike itself.
    Wattner likes this.
  8. 2old2Bbold

2old2Bbold was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    When I shortened the rear of my 450xcw, I cut the bottom of the stand and made a new foot... easy. :D I realize it's not a stock stand but surely something can be fabbed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    LM15, JagLite and jm19328 like this.
  9. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    I cut and re weld them all the time. Never a problem. But it should fit if right part and normal height bike
    JagLite likes this.
  10. powderpig

powderpig Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Aluminum is no problem for a good welder. Easy, peasy.
  11. renogeorge

renogeorge Let's ride!!

Oddometer:
    Since we’re on stand shortening....the oem stands are easily shortened without welding. Just use some heat and unscrew the plastic foot. Cut stand and reinstall foot. FWIW
  12. chilejack

chilejack Viajero Viejo

Oddometer:
    Ah, heat, that was the problem, thanks!
  13. Das alpha tier

Das alpha tier n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,
    I am a Namibian who has been doing rides/tours on my 500 exc for the past 2 years. We did many tours around namibia, all unsupported. We did the first unsupported trip through south west angola where you cover around 650km without fuel or anything else. We came across active landmine fields and went through the famous Acre of Death.
    Have a look at some of our videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGCQDeeB2xVSheeJ-E2_5hw

About our setup:
    We have 2018 ktm 500 ex's ( australian spec).
    We have the Acerbis 15.5lt tanks, Brake disc protectors, swing arm protectors and aftermarket plastic bash plates. Those are about the only mods we have.
    Tires we run mitas C02 in the rear with Michelin desert race mousses. Front we use whatever has good grip with Michellin desert mousses also. We get around 6000km out of a rear tire and the same out of the front. If you want more info just contact me.
  14. BDG

BDG Long timer

Oddometer:

Great videos thanks. I’ve ridden in Namibia back in 2008, I loved the country, you’re lucky guys
  15. Kshaw

Kshaw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if you can drop down a tooth in the front sprocket without serious wear and tear on the chain slider?
  16. Buildzall

Buildzall Rooster Supporter

Oddometer:
    I run 14 with no problem s
  17. atomizer

atomizer Be here now Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ran a 13 with no problems...
  18. WR450Pilot

WR450Pilot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Paul.

Thanks for sharing all this. It's opened my eyes and got me thinking.

I've never ridden an "adventure bike". The closest I got was riding a friend's DR600 out of a snowy trail on terrible tires.:)

I presently do a lot of single track/technical riding on a YZ250FX and YZ450FX. I totally get wanting a light, versatile bike for trail riding. But I also think I'd want something that is fairly comfy on the road and that would carry luggage well.

What terrain would you ride on your world tour that would be more technical than what this guy did on his Tenere 700 ?

How much does your prepped 500 weigh full of fuel but no luggage ? How much does it weigh fully loaded, without you ?

How comfy would your 500 be on the road compared to the Tenere 700 ?

What stopped you from getting the Husky 701 ? Weight ? Would the 701 be more comfy on the road ?

Thanks

Then there is this...

And this. He claims to have ridding 100.000 km (62,000 miles) in the last 3 years.
    https://eatsleepride.com/c/332703/a_wobbly_review_of_the_2021_yamaha_tenere_700
  19. WR450Pilot

WR450Pilot Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Seems to keep up with regular dirt bikes pretty well. In good conditions, anyway.

Around the world on a T700.
  20. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Guessing the 700 would be a little more comfortable on the slab but a good saddle and good ergonomics make up for a lot.