Adventurizing a KTM 500exc for RTW Riding

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by rtwpaul, Mar 7, 2019.

1. ADStryker

ADStryker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The 1999 640 LC4 uses the same rear wheel as the 2004 640 LC4 E, which uses the same rear axle as the 2004 640 Adventure. The '99 LC4 rear axle is a different length than the 2004 Adventure axle, but the diameter is evidently the same, so the wheel should fit a 500 axle.

For the spacer, aside from just making some measurements to see what you need, if you wanted to find OEM spacers that might work you can use the previous links to look up your year model 500 and see what bushings and spacers it uses, and how that those compare to the various LC4 models. Click the ">" symbol on the right end of the part number line to see which other models use that same part.

Spacers and bushings are, I think, a much easier problem to solve than getting a good deal on a cush-hub wheel that fits your axle. But, I bet someone here knows what you need.
  2. SR1

SR1 Going to America!!!!

Oddometer:
    Ill try to do this but it’s way beyond my knowledge base. Sure I know what all the parts are but I have no idea how to find the correct spacer for something non standard.
  3. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I just taped a pair of Barkbuster bar end weights to my 500's handlebars and they seemed to have reduced the vibrations down to a tolerable level. I'm gonna go with them at $45 instead of the $399 Mako 360.
    JP4 likes this.
  4. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Similar solution here. 1/2" thick, 1lb vinyl coated lead diving belt weights zip tied to the outside of my handguards. Running strong for almost 2k miles in the last year and a huge reduction in vibration. The high frequency hand numbing buzz is gone. 949823510.jpg
  5. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I saw your post, which was what inspired me to try the barkbuster bar-end weights. I was going to buy them after my test, but the guy who runs Tokyo Offroad is going to make me a set of brass inserts that weigh about 200 grams apiece and will double as a mounting point for handguards. Similar to the Fasst inserts but heavier. I like this approach as it won't add width to the bars.
    Wattner and JP4 like this.
  6. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Btw, how do you like the Aeerbis handguards? I almost bought a set when they were $69 on Amazon. I like the looks a lot.
  7. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    I like them a lot. Very beefy aluminum bars and the spoilers are huge, which I like because most of my riding is in cool and wet weather. I have them mounted to the BRP handguard mounts, so they are very solid. $69 is a great price on them.
  8. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Good to hear you like 'em and they work with the BRP mounts. They're up to $94 now, but still not a bad price.
    JP4 likes this.
  9. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the monster ones on my 640 which I like but I'm thinking of going HDB on my 525.
    [​IMG]