What the hell, I reallize that this thread probably wont be as exciting as some of the other threads in here, but I figured I'd go ahead because of the part that I'm working on at the moment. Truth be told I bought this bike April, 2014 and have been slowly doing a few things to it here and there. However over the course of Thanksgiving, while hanging with friends, we tentatively made plans to possibly do a little trip together in March. For me, the DRZ would be the bike that I use for this little trip. One of my buddies also has a DRZ, and together we both wanted to perform several upgrades to our bikes. While this little upcoming trip was the impetus for starting the work, in the bigger scheme of things, I potentially see myself using this bike to complete part of my RTW adventure travels, therefor it's worth my time to properly sort this bike; that and I just enjoy wrench on bikes in the garage too! The plan, to turn this Suzuki DRZ400s into an adventure touring machine. Here is what the bike looked like to begin with: That's a relatively close to stock 2009 DRZ400S. It's got but a mere couple thousand miles on it, and the only work that's been done to it is: 1) Seat Concepts seat, 2) ProMoto Billet aluminum rear rack, and 3) a Pelican type case rigged onto the rear rack. I got it for a good deal from a guy I know and trust, so I know that the bike is solid! While there's not much on the bike, the few things he did do are top notch. Having owned a DRZ before, I know exactly which direction I want to take with this bike; just for the sake of curiosity and to try new things, I go a slightly different route with the gas tank and radiator guards than I did on my first DRZ. After all, trying it out is the only way I'll know for sure which parts are better. So my first order of bits include the following: 1) IMS gas tank (I had a Clarke on my last DRZ and loved it, but I wanted to try out the IMS to see which I prefered), 2) TT case savers, 3) Cyra Probend hand guards (been wanting to try these out for a while because they look so bomber), 4) Devol radiator guards (I had the Unabiker on the last DRZ, but similar to the gas tank, I wanted to try these to see the difference), and 5) a true skid plate. I mount all these parts within 2 weeks of having bought the bike. The only issue I had was fitting the Cyra handguards; in order to get them to clear the front brake master cylinder and the dash, I had to add some bar risers (Rox 2") and I also swapped out the handle bars for the Renthal Hi-Bend. Yeah it's more $$$ to spend, but these are all top quality components and since I plan on using this bike thoroughly, I might as well prep it solidly. Once all the parts are in, the work is pretty easy to complete. I don't have any good picture of the bike at this point in the game, but I'll take one soon and post it up. So fast forward through the summer when I was playing around Europe on the XC Adventure, and up to Thanksgiving when I was talking with my buddies, and here are the couple of upgrades that we wanted to do: 1) kick starter kit, 2) heated grips, and 3) auxiliary lights. Parts were ordered, and during the Christmas holidays here we got together to perform the work. First order of business was the kick starter kit. Now you may as why!? Well, my response is.....why not!? We've got a funny little inside joke about kick starters on DRZs (ask me about it when you see me in person, it's a funny story in retrospect), but in truth it's just cheap insurance, and it looks BAD ASS! The work was pretty easy and straight forward, especially with the help of THIS FANTASTIC HOW TO write up. The instructions that come with the kit are mediocre at best. The only "hard" part we encountered was with the "kick starter stopper"; this is a small tab that acts as a stop on the return of the kick starter lever, it positions the lever at it's resting position. We both found that we didn't perfectly like the position of the lever and wanted to adjust it a touch. As it turns out we had to about about 1/20000 of an inch; we did this with some bronze brazing I think it was. Good thing we've got access to a variety of tools and just enough know-how to get ourselves in trouble! Other than that, the only issue we ran into was in removing the screws that held on a small retaining bracket. On both bikes we stripped out one of the phillips head screws; in putting it back together again, we used machine screws with recessed hex heads! With the kick starter kits done, we then moved on to installing the heated grips. Once again, pretty easy install work. However we didn't fully complete the install (i.e. we didn't wire them up) because in the process we started talking about how cool it would be to have a nice dash to mount switches such as the one for the heated grips; also how nice it would be to maybe mount the GPS on the dash. The impetus for this idea came from a pretty sweet DRZ BUILD that my buddy had come across. Here are two pictures from this guy's build, showing his sweet fairing & dash: [/URL][/IMG] And so was born the idea to fabricate our own rally style fairing with a good size dash....... ....to be continued.