Adventurizing a Suzuki DRZ400S

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by XC Rider, Jan 4, 2015.

1. Starchamp

Starchamp Rebel Scum

Oddometer:
    Updates?
  2. XC Rider

XC Rider Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Good question! Got back last week from a week long of riding offroad in Utah. I started out from Cortez, CO and wound my way to Blanding, UT, From there I went up to Moab, and spent an extra day in Moab enjoying the trails. From Moab I followed the TAT west and enjoyed the Black Dragon canyon and Eagle canyon (and a few others) while crossing the San Rafael swell. When I reached Emery, UT I turned south and cut through the Capitol Reef national park. I ended up looping back to Blanding, UT. I then turned south and swung through the Glen Canyon recreation area and into the Valley of the Gods. I swung by Muley point and then dipped a bit into Arizona to ride a bit in the Navajo reservation before returning to Cortez, CO.

The bike performed flawlessly, aside from a little flat tire issue. The fairing worked like a dream, as did everything on the dash except for the dual USB power port; midway thru the trip I lost power to it for some reason I have yet to troubleshoot and discover the reason. All in all, I'm super happy with how everything has turned out and the functionality of it.

If interested, you can check out my ride report of the trip by CLICKING HERE.
  3. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't throw away the wooden mold. Post it as a new KLR fairing!
    Ha!
    Great thread!

4. Starchamp

Starchamp Rebel Scum

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great trip, glad the faring worked out! A lot of those pics look like they could have been taken right here in NJ!! :rofl
  5. RolyKBiker

RolyKBiker Road Worrier

Oddometer:
    Well done XC, seriously good work.
    You could/should think about marketing the design. :D
  6. slowpoke69

slowpoke69 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sell the plans for like $15-20, they do the work, you've done the r&d, testing, etc., so they know it works. Even at that price it's a steal for a proven dedign.
  7. 4play

4play Next?

Oddometer:
    Another option is the ADVmonster setup

[​IMG]
  8. XC Rider

Oddometer:
    A little update; for those of you trying to figure out what to do about the lights, here is a little headlight shoot out. All three bikes are Suzuki DRZ400S. The only thing that is different is the "bulb" inside the headlight housing. From left to right they are: HID, Stock, LED.

[​IMG]

You can clearly tell how much less light the stock light puts out in comparrison to the HID and LED (stock light has a slight amber/orange glow to it). Differences between HID and LED were negliable. In the end we prefered the LED; while the HID did better in lighting depth, the LED was a little brighter and gave a wider beam. Also LED is a bit cheaper, and the LED bulb drops right in (plug and play), no need to make any modifications and you can always just drop the stock bulb back in.

You'll notice also in the above picture that the bikes on the outside have and LED bulb in the rear tail light and the center bike has a standard bulb in the rear tail light. Once again, a small difference in brightness there.

The big savings here is electrical wattage now being available for other things like heated grips, etc...
    tjzondrz, Te Hopo, nickguzzi and 2 others like this.
  9. Zuber

Zuber Zoob

Oddometer:
    The missing 6th gear, can be helped with a Rekluse clutch. You can gear it tall and still get around off-road. Helps, but can't be totally fixed.
  10. XC Rider

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, now that's thinking outside of the box; I like it! Something to keep in mind when I find myself with some money burning a hole in my wallet!
  11. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    Love the fairing. I want to make one for my DR650. I was thinking of mounting my fuse block on the dashboard face for easy access. See any downside to that? We used to do that with our rally cars in the UK when I was a teenager.
  12. Pete-NZ

Pete-NZ Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. 2002maniac

2002maniac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great project. I think a DRZ would be the perfect do it all bike if it had an extra gear! I'm glad youre not letting that stop you. With current gearing at what speed do you cruise on the highway?
  14. 4play

4play Next?

Oddometer:
    It's still a 5 speed but the ACT transmission makes the bike single track capable and mine cruises 75mph very well. 72mph is the sweet spot.

[​IMG]

KTM350's can be very capable light dual sport as well.
    GR0NK, sparkingdogg and Te Hopo like this.
  15. XC Rider

Oddometer:
    I personally wouldn't do that with the same fuseblock that I used. I used the Denali PowerHub2 fuseblock (link), and it is not a sealed/waterproof fuseblock. Hence why I tucked mine up under the dash to protect more from the elements. Grant it, if you were to used some sort of sealed/waterproof fuseblock, then I don't see why not.
  16. XC Rider

Oddometer:
    I agree with you that I often find myself wanting another gear; however, it has not stopped me from travelling great distances with a DRZ. I bought my first DRZ back in 2009 when I first attempted the TAT. Long story short the KLR that I had been using to run the TAT died on me near the Nevada/California border. I ended buying a DRZ in San Francisco, went back to where I got off the TAT, finished the TAT, and then rode the DRZ all the back to Virginia. I'm now on my 2nd DRZ and I've ridden around 30K plus miles on a DRZ. I've always kept stock gearing on my DRZ and with that I can comfortably run 60 to 65 mph all day. I can get up to 70/80mph but I don't feel comfortable sustaining that speed for any extended amount of time.
  17. XC Rider

Oddometer:
    Both the ACT transmission and a big bore kit are on my mind as future projects. I'd also love to just see Suzuki step up and do the right thing like make a 6 speed transmission and fuel injection standard!:D
    4play likes this.
  18. 4play

4play Next?

Oddometer:
    I've told many people if Suzuki would invest in a proper transmission, they would put a serious hurt on KTM sales.
    That said, I have done a couple of big trips with a guy riding a KTM350. That bike has done very, very well.
  19. GR0NK

GR0NK Got some screws loose!

Oddometer:
    Apples to oranges comparison.

People don't choose a KTM EXC over a DRZ solely because of the transmission. :wink:

Could you also say that if KTM would just make a better seat and kickstand Suzuki would stop making DRZs? :dunno IMO no.

Two very different bikes with some overlap. The DRZ can't cross into racing territory and the KTM doesn't suit well to guys who want to ride it on the road more than 30%. In fact, many KTM riders gear their EXCs for mainly dirt use with little compromise for any road-going comfort at all. Not saying it's not done on either count, just pointing out that it's rare.

Nice job on the bike BTW.

Sean :bmwrider
  20. MotoChris521

MotoChris521 motominded

Oddometer: