Adventurizing a Suzuki DRZ400S

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by XC Rider, Jan 4, 2015.

1. GR0NK

GR0NK Got some screws loose!

Oddometer:
    Yes you COULD, 16 years ago... :wink:

Because if you still CAN then somebody call Suzuki and tell them the RMZ is no longer needed. :deal

Sean :bmwrider
  2. MotoChris521

MotoChris521 motominded

Oddometer:
    Maff is hard . 2003 was 13 years ago. :D And weren't the magical koolaid RFS bikes available at the time ? Mike did beat out a couple of unknown racers, like Ty Davis and Kurt Caselli , on the lowly DRZ .

Then there is this goofball ,

in 2007 .
    Te Hopo likes this.
  3. GR0NK

Oddometer:
    So hard...

The link is from 2002, so actually 14 years ago. But the bike in the picture is Kiedrowski's 2000 Suzuki DRZ race bike. Not to take anything away from that DRZ (which is a factory race-prepped bike that has almost nothing in common with a stock E model and much less an S model) but the MX Kied would have won on anything.

You should probably read my post again. I didn't say it couldn't be done. :rolleyes The DRZ in question would be as good a choice for mostly street use as a KTM 520EXC of the same vintage. Thank you for proving my point.

As for Travis, his bike didn't make the finish in 2007. I'm sure he probably would've chosen a different bike if he wasn't sponsored by Suzuki. :wink:

4. XC Rider

XC Rider Motorcycle Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Gents, how 'bout y'all just agree to disagree. If nothing else, this discussion proves that there's love for both these brands. Lord knows I'm guilty as I currently own a KTM 525EXC, as wells as the DRZ. Each bike excels in certain areas and needs improvements in others; it all depends on your intended use of the bike which is "better suited"!
    tjzondrz, 148am and GR0NK like this.
  5. MotoChris521

MotoChris521 motominded

Oddometer:
  6. MotoChris521

MotoChris521 motominded

Oddometer:
    Just tired of the constant bashing . Seems the KTM types spend more time in the non-KTM threads than in KTM threads .
  7. GR0NK

Oddometer:
    Off-road friendly bike? Which one would that be?

I never said it couldn't be those things, I said it doesn't cross over into racing. The DRZ makes a fine adventure bike and certainly a capable off-roader.

8. Foxed101

Foxed101 Monkeywrench

Oddometer:
    Any mods after your trip?
  9. JohannesD

JohannesD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A bit late to the party here, but I’m very interested in doing the same. I have a DRZ that I use for local trail riding. Geared it very low with mx tires. Close to buying a second bike to use as my long distance traveler (cb500x or v strom 650), but adventurizing the DRZ crossed my mind. Gear it back, add some comfort to it and use it to travel far. Will it be comfy? Probably not, will it be able to rip up any trail that I come across riding in Europe? Absolutely!

Here’s how its looking this far: 108A7734-BA16-4E4B-8B5F-1E53D7B8E710.jpeg
    nostep and LJC like this.
  10. StanBo

StanBo Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Comfort can be had I ride my DRZ for hours and hours. Your bike looks a seat and luggage purchase away from being a great long ride bike.
  11. JohannesD

JohannesD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @StanBo Thanks for replying!

I’m researching the luggage options - what would you recommend? I want soft luggage, but do you think I should have a luggage rack beneath, or would simple throw-overs work? Many thanks!
  12. StanBo

Oddometer:
    Mosko Moto is my go to choice of drugs. I run a first gen R80 on the drz. You could probably run it without racks but I have racks from Happy Trails under there.

My DRZ is my go to "BDR" type ride bike. It is small for those events but that only counts when you are getting to the start or at the end when you have to go home. I trailer from now on.

Once the ride is going the DRZ shines. Light and happy in the muck.

Friends have Giant Loop stuff as well. I hate to say it but you might either have to get a couple bags or you can save some money and see some stuff in person.
  13. StanBo

Oddometer:
    Photos for fun.

R80 on the DRZ.
    R10 with fuel bottle holders on the KTM.

https://www.happy-trail.com/find-your-bike/suzuki/drz400s-sm/luggage-racks/klx400s-su-side-rack.html

The racks are also nice as a lift point when the bike is stuck in weird spots.

The only thing that I could see being an issue is having a sinch point for the top on the back (fender). So a flat plate rack might be needed.

For day to day riding I have an old Wolfman bag on the back. It is soft. Can hold two helmets. It is wonderful. I wish they still carried it. When nothing is in them I can sinch them down tight and small.

Attached Files:

14. JohannesD

JohannesD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @StanBo Thank you very much for the information and pictures! I had the Mosko bags on my T7 - super high quality, but I want something simpler like two open roll top panniers such as Adventure Spec Magadans. One opening so I can get to everything. The R80s were a little tight and cumbersome.

I guess I would need a rack to hold those panniers on the DRZ, but then I would need to beef up the rear suspension. Not sure if I want to do all this to a 18 year old bike vs selling and buying something like a used KTM 690 that already comes with rack for just a few thousand dollars more. What do you think?
  15. StanBo

Oddometer:
    I haven't had any history with the Magadans but they look cool as hell.

I did have my spring and forks tuned for my weight, racks and luggage. It was well worth it.

18 years old or not does the bike run well? Do you feel anything lacking that the 690 will supply? Even though it is 18 is it not pretty much the same as what are being sold today? To me that is 18 years of other bikes and spare parts when I need.

There is a local DRZ dismantler that I contact often for parts and spares.

For me I LOVE my DRZ. I love the 690 and it's PVC cousin. I just can't justify selling my drz to get a different bike to do the same type of riding. The DRZ has killed any dreams of getting a T7 and a few other bikes.

But that is my situation.

Ride the 690. After that all this talk could mean nothing........ If it hooks you right :D
  16. JohannesD

JohannesD Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for a pleasant response, your thoughts and questions about the DRZ made me reflect over my ownership with the DRZ. I just feel that its old and I would like a newer bike when traveling far down into Europe - but the DRZ is known for its reliability, so my concern might be silly.

I really like the Magadans, might just be the way to go, with a rack underneath so the exhaust doesn’t burn through.

By the way, I sold my T7 to get the DRZ, best decision ever. The T7 is just way too heavy for any offroading (IMO).
  17. StanBo

Oddometer:
    You're welcome!

Listen dependable or not. If it doesn't tick your tock you might need to ride something else.

THIS is why I don't ride other people's bikes when they offer. It is one thing to think "oh my that must be nice" another to ride the thing and get the snowball going on making that other bike happen.

If you can do without a rack the plates that many of these manufacturers sell can also give you a gap where you will not melt the bags. The Moskos on my KTM have never been damaged from heat.

Get the hell out!? I tell you that T7 is just beautiful but I don't have the skill to ride it like I do the DRZ in the woods. If I had one it would be a better option then the ST1200 when going offroad.

Either way have a great time man. Life is good!