Advice for painting air cooled cylinder and exhaust

Discussion in '2 smokers' started by fastdadio, Nov 22, 2020.

1. fastdadio

fastdadio Still gettin faster

Oddometer:
    This winters project is give my '78' TS 250 some much needed attention. It's been in the family for years and still only has about 3500 miles on it. I'm going to repaint the cylinder, head, and exhaust. I need advice on prep and paints from those that have been here before. How to do it and what to use. I rattle canned it with some high temp grill paint years ago, but that's pretty much all flaked off now and the aluminum has begun to oxidize on the fins.
    Here's a pic of the olde boy at one of my club runs about 5 years ago.
    182.jpg
  2. dlearl476

dlearl476 Two-bit Throttle Bum Supporter

Oddometer:
    For the cylinder and head I would go with a lovely black ceramic coating. Then polish the edges of the fins with an angle grinder and a 320 grit sanding disc. (Not sure if a ScotchBrite roll lok disc would work on ceramic coating, but it would give a better finish if it did.) pretty and functional, too.

For the exhaust, most people get good results with BBQ black. But you could ceramic coat it, too. Just like regular paint, you can choose the amount if gloss you want.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
    fastdadio and Richarde1605 like this.
  3. JKady

JKady Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I haven't had a need to paint any of my heads/cylinders yet (all are on the same level of oxidized/shitty to match the bikes they're in) but I've used VHT "FlameProof" paint on a couple exhausts now with good results. I don't see any reason VHT engine enamel wouldn't work on the head/cylinder with good prep.
    fastdadio likes this.
  4. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Back in the early 70's at multiple different expansion camber makers I worked for (including FMF), rattle can BBQ Black or VHT engine enamel was what we used. Damn, your finger would hurt after about 20 minuets and you still had 30 or 40 more pipes to go.

Ceramic coating is great for exhaust systems because t helps keep the heat in (like exhaust wrap). But for that very reason it would be terrible idea for the cooling fins on the head and cylinder.
    spokester, fastdadio and KennyV like this.
  5. mikeysduck

mikeysduck Slow Ride to Nowhere

Oddometer:
    I powder coated the iron cylinder on my Norton. I was told, after the fact, that it would flake off. Since I only have 126 miles on the bike, after 20 years, the paint still looks great.
    dlearl476 likes this.
  6. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Powder coat is also a poor heat conductor.
  7. grandpa_ken

grandpa_ken Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer: