Advice on how to sell a R1100GS in Arizona please?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by pict685, Nov 23, 2020.

1. pict685

pict685 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi,

Though I live in Canada, I have kept a 1995 R1100GS ABS in the Mesa AZ area for the last ten years at our winter trailer. With the road border closed this year we will not be able to go down by car (we have dogs) so I am flying down tomorrow to clear out our place for rent or sale. Part of the clearout will involve selling the bike and I am wondering if anyone has any ideas on the quickest and safest way to sell a bike in Arizona. I've heard nasty stories about Craigslist transactions, so would eBay be the best way to go? I'll have about 2 weeks down there to get it sold. Also curious as to what a fair price would be. Bike is fully functional in good but not pristine condition and has a few extras. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Low mileage circa ~45,000 miles
    ABS brakes
    Givi luggage – 2 side panniers and 2 (large and small) top boxes – large in photo takes 2 helmets. Luggage all keyed the same.
    Fornales rear air shock with inflation pump
    Autcom Super Pro AVI intercom installed – with 2 headsets for fullface helmets
    Carbon fibre rear wheel hugger
    Stainless brake lines
    Odyssey AGM battery
    Givi windshield
    Bigfoot sidestand
    Assorted spares and tools (oil filter wrench, clutch cable, spare fuel pump, valve clearance gauges..)

DSC03198.jpg
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  2. PineyMountainRacing

PineyMountainRacing Oops....

Oddometer:
    is the bike registered in the States or Canada?

I’ve sold several bikes here in the FM and on Craigslist, no problems but you will find jerks and scammers both places

to get it sold in 2 weeks or less your price will need to be very realistic, maybe below market (whatever that is) and someone will be getting a good deal. Priced “right“ you’ll have several buyers, priced too high and the phone won’t ring. Good luck, if I was in AZ I’d come look at it, and I don’t need any more motos in the garage :lol3
  3. pict685

pict685 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It is registered in Arizona and located in Apache Junction.
    John

Attached Files:

4. PaulBarton

PaulBarton Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wouldn’t pick eBay over Craigslist. CL will most likely be local-area buyers which you need as you have a critical timeline. I have bought and sold on CL and in the FM. On average, FM is higher quality buyers but that’s only “on average”.

As PMR states your selling price needs to reflect your urgency. Have you tried to contact any dealers in the area that might be able to consign it for you? That may be an option you could consider and eliminate some of the urgency. Anxious sellers make for screaming deals.

yours looks like a good low mile example of a bike with a near cultish following.
  5. PineyMountainRacing

Oddometer:
    I didn’t think of consignment, good idea to consider
  6. pict685

pict685 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice. Does FM mean Facebook Marketplace (never used it and am guessing)? If it doesn't garner much interest while I am down there I can always leave it there until May when we hope to go down again (have the place rented meantime till then). Seems like now is a good time to sell with the stupid hot weather having calmed down, and plenty of cooler riding days ahead.
  7. PineyMountainRacing

Oddometer:
    FM is the flea market here on ADV
    Rips Millar and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  8. PineyMountainRacing

Oddometer:
  9. pict685

pict685 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for flagging those forums.
  10. mwoods

mwoods Back for more adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you want to move it quickly, I would price it aggressively, and list it in the marketplaces here. I would avoid facebook and Craigslist of possible. Just too much BS listing there.
  11. AZgman

AZgman Addicted to curves

Oddometer:
    I would sell it here on ADV rider or on Cycletrader.com. If you need some help, I am 1 mile from Mesa Gateway Airport.
    mikegc, Gezerbike and lewisjr1 like this.
  12. pict685

pict685 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks AZgman I appreciate the offer. Will PM you if I'm stuck with anything.
  13. wellcraft

wellcraft Long timer

Oddometer:
    The quickest way to move the bike is to take it to a dealership and sell it them or put it on consignment. You'll get less money if you take it to a dealership but you also walk out with a check in your hand. Some dealerships take consignments so that may also be an option, you'll get a little bit more money but probably not as much as you would selling it yourself. On consignment the dealership takes on the responsibility of advertising the bike, selling the bike, arranging financing if necessary and it also frees you up from having to deal with scammers, picture collectors, tire kickers, thieves, and answering a bunch of dumb questions from people who have no intention of buying the bike. Yes the dealership takes a 10% or sometimes 15% fee of whatever the bike sells for but if you're pressed for time the trade-off is worth it in my opinion.
  14. Ray916MN

Ray916MN Dim Mak

Oddometer:
    Craigslist always works best for me. Since CL instituted a $5 fee for listing, the quality of listings has gone up and the scam sellers largely disappeared. My last sales of vehicles on CL have all taken less than a week and the last bike I sold, was gone in under 4 hours.

A solid ad with lots of pictures and just the facts works well, but the price is key. With the right price and ad, buyers ask few questions aside from when and where can they see the bike and they show up with the cash to buy and they buy without negotiating.

There's a comparable to what you're selling on CL right now https://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/mcy/d/black-canyon-city-bmw-1996-r1100gs1983/7236030215.html I'm not an expert on the value of these bikes, but I'd guess if you listed at $3500, you'd sell within a day or two of listing.

GLWTS.
    MojoRooster, Prmurat and Foiler like this.
  15. gratefulJED

gratefulJED long strange tripper

Oddometer:
    wait a minute, I must have missed the price. That will move or not move the bike. Is it ready to roll? Fluids, ect...10 years long time!
  16. Rips Millar

Rips Millar capt. mediocre

Oddometer:
    Offer @AZgman $500 to do it for ya, win win!!!
    I would if it wasn’t winter in Reno.....
  17. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and Love

Oddometer:
    1) Read the rules
    2) Click this LINK
    3) :1drink

Flea Market Rules

The FM is for inmate to inmate sales only. All sales and trades etc. are buyer beware.

If you see a problem click the "report this" link and we will look into it.

When an item is sold, found, gone or if you withdraw it from sale please edit your thread title by adding a Prefix - top right of your original post > Thread Tools > Edit Title > Popup > Drop down > select the appropriate Prefix.

Old ads get locked after 30-45 days of inactivity.

If you fail to meet the simple rules, the ad gets removed. We do not have time to point out each failed ad, so if your ad vanishes check the rules before re-posting.

• If it is not yours, you cannot sell it here. This applies to responses to WTB ads.
    • No outside links: Craigslist, eBay, Kiji... Mentioning sales on these sites, or others, will be treated the same way as if you posted the link; we will remove the thread. Similarly, if you state that it is listed locally or employ some other linguistic gymnastics, the thread will be removed. This also applies to WTB ads. Directing people to these sites will result in the removal of your posts, as well as thread, forum, or site bans for those who do it repeatedly.
    • Each ad needs a clear location* and each item needs a price (trade value WTT), pics are optional but your ad will be much better if they have them. *Please note your profile location no longer shows on mobile devices.
    • To show your appreciation for an ad, please use the "like" button. Replies to a thread are limited to inmates who have a serious interest in purchasing or supplying an item and follow-up responses by the original poster to these. Comments other than this will be deleted and should not be replied to. This restriction is for the purpose of fairness. It prevents ads from being driven off the front page by otherwise well intentioned "GLWTS" type responses. Every ad should get an equal chance at front page time.
    • No bumping your thread within 5 days (from the date of the last post), we may remove the bump or we may remove the entire thread.
    • Multi item sales (3 or more of the same item) go in vendors, if we find one it is gone. We have a vendors forum.
    • Spam - this gets nuked and you get banned.
    • No posting of PMs or private info - instant ban.
    • No firearms or related items allowed, this includes illegal weapons of course.
    • This is not Jo momma, Jo Momma type posts will be removed and the inmate may be banned. The Flea Market is not a discussion forum: Please do not crap in the seller's thread with negative comments such as "your price is too high, your item is in bad condition," etc.. Use the Report link to inform Moderators of such violations.

Let's keep it nice and about the sale. Helping each other out vs. making a profit is what this is about.
  18. PukaWai

PukaWai Long timer

Oddometer:
    FleaMarket on ADVrider is your best bet, especially if you list it well before you journey to the land of Covid and set up some possibilities. CL is still full of CL-flakes despite the new fee, not something I'd want to deal with remotely or during your precious two weeks down here. CycleTrader used to be good, but now it seems like mostly dealer ads and I don't waste my money buying that rag any more. As mentioned before, money talks, and 1100s and 1150s are going for around $3000 or less unless you have time to sit around for months waiting for that buyer that for some reason thinks your bike is the bee's knees.
    I've sold 4 bikes through ADVrider, and one on CL after wading through lots of BS, and have bought 4 bikes through ADVrider, two of which were fly-n-rides. I'm sure there are a few flakes on ADVrider out there, but so far my luck has been holding and I've been more than satisfied all of those sales and buys.
  19. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have used CL, ADV Fleamarket, Facebook Marketplace, and Offer Up to sell vehicles this past year. The latter two allow you to see feedback on potential buyers.

I'm in Mesa if you need assistance.
  20. pict685

pict685 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    szurszewski likes this.