Advice: Pre Trip checks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JT.witt, Oct 23, 2019.

1. JT.witt

JT.witt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What’s the list of things to check before a trip and/or maintenance items to do?

Obv tire pressure
    Oil
    Battery

I have a 2013 KLR 650

Thanks!
  2. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    Fill the oil check the gas.

:D

After my accident, I check my luggage before I head out. Make sure there's no loose straps or anything hanging near the wheel.
  3. Emmett

Emmett Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Clean, lube, and check chain tension in addition to what you mentioned if you're going on a long trip.

I start a packing list a few weeks before a trip, and I start organizing items early. Trips to different terrain, and at different times of yr require different camping and riding gear and perhaps different tools as well. I then use the list to "check" to make certain I've got everything I need.
    SmittyBlackstone and JT.witt like this.
  4. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Depends on the trip i guess.
    I do my maintenance when I get home from a trip/riding, so the bike is ready to ride at any time.
    I know what remaining life I can expect out of my tires, chain/sprockets, brakes ect. Thats goes a long way. I always start with a fresh airfilter, and usually pack spares.
  5. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cash

And bank cards

Insurance/tow plan
  6. MotoChris521

MotoChris521 expert apprentice

Oddometer:
    milk crate fasteners!
    flei and dtysdalx2 like this.
  7. dtysdalx2

dtysdalx2 Knowledge is horsepower

Oddometer:
    Check for nails and screws in the tires that haven't started leaking yet. :D

Electrical connectors that are ready to fail (loose) and nuts, bolts ready to fall out.

How far is the trip? Nothing if under 50 miles.

Everything if it's over 1000 miles.
  8. shu

shu ...

Oddometer:
    Check for loose fasteners:

Start with the smallest bolt size that you see on your bike and get out the socket and wrench that will fit. Put the tool on every bolt that size you can see on the left side, then do the right side of the bike. Look up under the rear fender and on the front wheel, same way.

Do the same for next size up fastener until you have checked every visible fastener on the bike. Then take the seat off and do the same. Be sure to check the battery connections (clean the posts and put some dielectric grease on the posts and nuts.)

You're not trying to make everything tighter, just making sure it's not loose. Doing the whole bike will probably take less than an hour.

If you find anything coming loose, consider using a light/medium threadlocker on it.

While you're at it, spray a little chain lube into anything that pivots: pegs, stands & cable ball ends.

...............shu
    concours likes this.
  9. PunkinHead

PunkinHead Moobless Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I make sure it's 106 miles to Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, a half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.
    BluByU, Yinzer Moto and JR356 like this.
  10. RJT

RJT Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Don’t forget they have SCMODS.
  11. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    upload_2019-11-6_15-31-56.jpeg

JR356
  12. Schmokel

Schmokel Key to Happiness: Low Expectations

Oddometer:
    ...two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls....
  13. BluByU

BluByU Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nothing worse than a dope fiend on an ether binge

OH Ya watch out for the bats
  14. Houstrom46

Houstrom46 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Before we go on trips (in the cage, by plane, on the bike or whatever), Wifey brings all kinds of crap from a check list; most of that is never needed and easily obtained if the need ever arises. OP didn't mention the destination, distance or how long the trip would last. I say, don't over think it. Chain maintenance, fluids, filters, tires, all that stuff is something that should be up to date regardless if on a trip or just puttering around on weekends. If going remote in the sticks 30, 50, 100 miles from civilization for a long period of time, then yes there are some things to account for. If the tires were previously aired down for off road, then I would ensure they were pressured to my needs for the trip. Aside from that, gas & go. Good luck, and have fun..
  15. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    The only maintenance foible on the guzzi is one of the rear lamps vibrates itself to death every few thousand miles. The only bulb that ever failed. Now we have LED's , that's fixed too. Never had a bolt come loose but the steering head races tend to loosen slightly, less than a 12th turn.
    Like several have said, my maintenance is always done. I know roughly how much fuel is in the tank, despite not having a gauge, and how many miles the tires in their current state will do. The bike tends to breathe a bit of oil. I might add 1/2 a quart in 5000miles. It's a crankcase vent thing.

Since I got the bike in 1980, now speedo says 180,000miles although there was a time I didn't have a cable.
    I have had one alternator rotor go - shit Bosch crap, a well known failure at the time - on the very first ride abroad, I only got 80 miles. A detour to a dealer sorted that and we caught the ferry.
    Second was my fault, a shitty solder on a new throttle cable. A French agricultural engineer fixed that, wouldn't accept a drink for his time.
    A scant handful of punctures - so check your ability to deal with them. Patches and levers or worms, mushrooms and a way to inflate.
    Ditto with chains if you have them.
    A few turns of duct tape, a few feet of welding wire, some electrical wire, fuses and zip ties. I can hold in my hand all the tools to completely dismantle the bike, although I have never had to, a friend blew his head gasket. Fixed it on a campsite in Germany. Caught the bus to the guzzi shop.

The shitty handle bar switches got swapped for Honda ones, but at home in the comfort of my front room. I find the surroundings more convivial for messing with the bike. All those tools and parts you may need, just a hand stretch away. Or at least you will know where to get them fastest.
    Road side repairwork is overrated.