Advice sought. Should I buy this cheap 2015 Multistrada 1200S Touring?

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by ELB, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Samtech79

Samtech79 Two wheeled lunatic

Oddometer:
    Wait... What? I bought a demo bike and the warranty started the day I took delivery.
  2. Florida Lime

Florida Lime Long timer

Oddometer:
    As stated and not often enough in Robbinsville, NC
    That just means that yours was used as a demo by the dealer, but it was not purchased from Ducati as a demo bike.
  3. ELB

ELB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I spoke to the dealer selling the new 2015 MTS with the expired warranty and they quoted $2,000 for a 3-year extended. Obviously, this is far more expensive, and for a shorter period, than the $850 5-year others here have purchased. This leads me to ask, can any dealer sell you an extended warranty or does it need to come from the dealer of origin? In other words, can I shop around for the warranty?

Thanks,

ELB
    bobw likes this.
  4. jtclark13

jtclark13 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ran into the same delima earlier this year, thought I came across a great deal on a new bike (2015) until I found out it didn’t have a warranty because it was a “demo” even with 0 miles on it. After some research and great feedback from this site I passed. I talked to a couple of service managers about the aftermarket extended warranties and they all hated them. I went with a used bike, which has some exposure, but I’d rather pay for repairs than have a bike sit for weeks as the negotiations go on and on with the dealership and warranty company. When in doubt talk to the shop you want to work on your bike, they’ll point you in the right direction.
  5. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    Different aftermarket companies for other Brands have different pricing guidelines from what I have read from those that had purchased them, I never did buy one though. Some were cheaper if the bike was still under the original warranty, length of coverage offered and almost all had "go to" dealers that sold the same policies at a huge discount, regardless where purchased. If you really want the bike and the Dealer sells this coverage, I would verify their experience using the warranty successfully for both shop and customer (maybe a couple of work orders they would show that went well) and also instead of full boat profit they offer it as way that doesn't cost them anything by selling a policy as close to "cost" as a way to move the demo they already have taken the incentive for. This frees up their floor space and their $$ to put towards fresh stock, etc. Ducati and others now paint themselves in the corner a bit as the incremental changes can make even a one year New Old Stock be a dust catcher, let alone 3 model years old. There are always guys like "me and you" that are happy to grab a deal, but most want the latest and greatest. The Dealer MUST move stock and shoving a $2,000.00 fist in yer arse just for some peace of mind just about blows the appeal and any real value gain, at least to me. If you really like it, send them an email or call and tell them to use a real sharp pencil after considering your thoughts on what it would take to make you write the check. If they can't come close, I would just walk and not look back as there are too many great bikes just like it that may get traded for the latest and greatest and could possibly still have warranty and be in great shape with any early niggles well sorted. Just my cheap arsed opinion.
  6. ELB

ELB Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OP here.

I'll keep this one short. To perhaps the amazement of those who have followed my new bike-seeking saga, I bought that 2015 Multistrada 1200S Touring. In the end, I got a great price on a pristine bike with 122 miles and a square deal on a three-year extended warranty. The dealership was refreshingly pleasant to deal with and utterly down to earth and genuine (seeming, at least).

Took delivery a few days back and it's far too cold to ride (as expected). That said, I did find a brief window of above 40-degree temps with a bit of sun during which I took the opportunity to put some Sta-bil in the tank, fill it at a local station and putter around town for about 15 minutes. Bike fired up the first time and ran flawlessly (not that I gave it much of a test, of course). Felt great and got me even more eager for April.

So, for those who said, "your deal is out there," I tip my hat. You're right. And if you can swing it, buy in winter.

And if you have a compassionate nature, say a little prayer to the Italian gods that this Duc is one of the good ones.

With gratitude,

ELB
  7. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Somewhat bemused observer Supporter

Oddometer:
    no