ADVmonster LED Headlight!

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by sanjoh, May 8, 2014.

1. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Depends on the bike, what bike are you considering them for?

Typically newer bikes have an electronic flasher that is load independent, so no resistor is needed.
  2. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    They might flash faster. You just need to buy an electronic turn signal flasher from the auto parts store. For most Hondas, it wires right in. For many other bikes you'll need to make an adapter harness.

Charles.
  3. George Hanson

George Hanson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A 2016 Triumph Scrambler (air cooled), but I already have aftermarket running lights/turn signals front and rear from Newbonneville. Thinking of replacing the incandescent bulbs to save watts.
  4. Dirty D'

Dirty D' Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    For those looking at the Native H4 I Just finished some videos on the bulb I Purchased

I have recently learned how every bulb is going to have a different effect in each and every housing
    So use this video as just a basic example for a Oval reflector housing
    The bike is a Kawasaki Z125 Pro

5. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    So, I put the H4 R3 bulb in my vintage bike. It's a heavily modified bike, but what matters is the headlight is a universal 6.5" headlight from Cycle Recycle Part II. The headlight is on this page: http://newmotorcycleparts.net/electrical/lighting/head_tail_light/head_light.html about halfway down. It's listed as "Universal 6 1/2 Inch Headlight" and is a replica of the VF750C headlight shell.

In this setup, the R3 bulb is actually useful. In the SCR950 headlight shell it had no visible hotspot when shone on the garage door. With this headlight, there is a hot spot. The pattern is narrow and tall, however. It's a big blob of unfocused light. I rode around a bit, and what it means is that with this reflector, I get a huge beam directly in front of the bike, but almost nothing to the sides. When cars are passing me on a straight road, I don't get so dazzled I can't see. However, I am slowing WAY down for the turns, because there's just no light out the sides of the reflector. The sides of the road are pitch black, and when leaning the bike I lose all vision into the turn. In this respect, the standard halogen is a lot better, it lights up more of the sides of the road. BUT, it's not that much better, and it's overall dimmer than the R3 bulb - with this reflector.

Turning hte high beam on makes riding through the curves a bit better. It fills in a lot of the missing light to the sides as it projects far ahead, and it's a pretty good pattern.

So, for my vintage bike with a weak charging system, this bulb is a reasonable compromise. I can run this headlight and have enough power for my heated gear, and see well enough. It's not great, but it's usable, and it does use fewer watts than the F2 or Cyclops. And since I already bought it, I'll use it for this application.

That said, it's still only passable with this reflector. The low beam pattern is not good and it's simply not as bright as the F2 bulb. This reflector by the way was one of the best I've used for a regular halogen pattern. This was the only bike I didn't have trouble seeing at night on.

Charles.
  6. 2nerkid

2nerkid n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey there Sanjoh, I was wondering if you guys are going to restock the H4 R3 or replace it with something new? Seems I juuuuust missed the boat on ordering mine.
  7. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    We've restocked them regularly but they fly off the shelf! Sorry for the inconvenience.
  8. 2nerkid

2nerkid n00b

Oddometer:
    Ok, guess I'll just keep checking back now and then til they're in stock
  9. Elderber

Elderber Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry if this has been answered already.... which bulb will fit a Ktm 640 Adventure? I thought it was the H1 R3 but I don’t see that on the site anymore so I’m guessing it has been replaced with something else
    Thanks!
  10. Tytus

Tytus n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey there Sanjoh, can you please tell me, with the stock wiring, on my Honda NC750S (H4), I want to use the good old H4 Led Rev2 (working like a charm, from many ears, on my previous bike, good job!) and a pair of M5 Led,wired to high beam, can I do this safe, without the Rotary dimmer with high beam bypass?

So: Stock headlight halogen: 55w/60w

Led H4 Rev2 : 20W low/ 45W high (second led lights up with first)
    M5 pair: 14.4W
    Total on high beam: 59.4W

Am I right?

Thank you.
  11. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Should work fine.
  12. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    So, after extremely minimal use, my ADVMonster R3 H4 bulb has a wobble. It does not stay firmly, securely locked into the base. In fact, it easily wobbles up and down or side to side by several millimeters at the end, which drastically effects the bulb focus. In a cramped headlight bucket, the wiring can force the bulb one way or another. This is preferable to a non-cramped bucket, where the headlight just bounces around with engine and road vibration.

All in all, I'm not happy with the R3 bulb.

Charles.
  13. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Hey Charles,

If the bulb has been inserted and removed a bunch of times, the nylon H4 base adapter can get worn by the metal tabs on the led. Take a look at the id of the adapter (where the bulb tabs ride) for wear and let me know what you find. You'll want to minimize pressure on the bulb as it isn't intended to carry additional weight.
  14. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Yes the nylon appears to be worn significantly.

It’s difficult NOT to put any kind of pressure on the connector side of the bulb. It’s absolutely huge and is difficult to fit in all but the largest, most empty housings. All in all I wish I had bought the native bulb instead. I liked the idea of the R3 bulb because of the high and low beams on together, but the bulk ones and excessive wear and difficulty mounting it in some buckets, along with the fact the extra thick nylon base just doesn’t play well with some reflectors has this bulb sitting on my shelf and an h4 halogen in both of the bikes I had hoped to use this in.

Charles.
  15. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Charles,

Send us an email (advmonster@qualireg.com) with your current shipping address and we will send a replacement H4 adapter base.

You can then put it in the FM, as we can not keep them in stock, it will go fast.
  16. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Thanks a lot, I appreciate that.

Hey, how hot does the Native H4 bulb get? Could it be used with a plastic reflector that originally housed a 35/35 H4 bulb? This kind of reflector works fine with 35 watt bulbs, but 55/60 watt bulbs melt it.

Thanks.

Charles.
  17. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    You're welcome, we threw in a couple of H4 halogens as well. We have buckets of them.

The Native H4 will never get hot enough to melt plastic. Typical max temp is 130F. There is a concern regarding airflow if the headlight is small (front to back) where as the front of the Native would be close to the front of the headlight housing, blocking airflow. What bike is the headlight in?

If the headlight housing/reflector has heat damage it may be toast, ie no longer a reflector.
  18. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    It does not currently have damage. I've just used this type of 5 3/4" reflector before, and it works fine... so long as there's a 35 watt bulb in it. I tried in the past using a 55 watt bulb and it melted the reflector.

The bike is an SSR Buccaner 250C, which you've likely never had experience with.

Charles.
  19. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Have a similar size headlight in a BMW Xcountry. If you can fit the H4 R3, it is loads better than the Native. Here's a reference on a Xco install.
  20. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    I can't fit the R3, I tried. The headlight bucket is full to the brim with wires and connectors. There is no room.

So long as the native is better than a 35 watt halogen, I'll be happy. I tried upgrading the reflector to a metal one... and surprisingly it wasn't as good. Yes I can run a 55/60 watt bulb now, but the plastic reflector that came with the bike has a FAR better pattern. To the point where I can see better with the 35 watt halogen than the 55 watt, even though the 55 watt is technically brighter. So I'd like to put the original reflector back in and try a native bulb.

Honestly I wanted to install one of the Sunpie 5 3/4" Daymaker clones, but the wires in the headlight bucket prevented that from fitting big time.

Charles.