ADVmonster LED Headlight!

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by sanjoh, May 8, 2014.

1. jas67

jas67 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the Native in my 1974 Moto Guzzi Eldorado, which has no room for any of the LED units with any sort of heatsink on the back. It is kinda strange to look at from the front, as the whole reflector isn't lit up, about 240 degrees worth of it is. BUT, the beam pattern is excellent.

I have it mounted in an aftermarket H4 reflector assembly, as the Eldorado came with a sealed beam stock.
    Here is the reflector assembly I'm using: http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=37_154&products_id=949
    sanjoh likes this.
  2. Brutalguyracing

Brutalguyracing Long timer

Oddometer:
    what bulb will fit a 2016 650 strom housing?
  3. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Two H4 type bulbs. Sent you a reply to your email.
    Brutalguyracing likes this.
  4. ChopperCharles

ChopperCharles Long timer

Oddometer:
    The ADVMonster Native bulb really has an amazing low beam. It makes a mediocre reflector into a blazing fire of low-beam awesomitude. The high beam doesn't really work, because it can't fire downward. It mostly just lights up the trees and is good for flashing to pass, but that's it. As a replacement for a 35 watt halogen, this Native bulb is awesome and it makes the bike absolutely rideable at night. So I'm happy.

That said, I do miss having a usable high beam. But it's a tradeoff I have to make due to lack of space in the headlight bucket, and a wimpy alternator.

I do notice at idle the native bulb flickers a little. At idle with the high beam on, the low beam flickers ever so slightly, but as soon as revs rise the low beam stops flickering.

BUT, my bike's headlight is powered by DC voltage directly from the regulator. One regulator output goes to the headlight, one goes to the battery for charging. So this is probably normal for a LED. Hope it doesn't kill it, it was pricey!

Charles.
  5. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Thats a strange setup on the regulator! You can add a capacitor and it will stabilize the light output, sounds like the voltage is dropping significantly at idle. Or you can connect all the reg/rec outputs to the battery and it will stabilize the voltage.
  6. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    The thing is, I had other problems with the ADVMonster native bulb. It used more power than my H4 bulb. I could not run my heated gear on high with with the ADVMonster bulb installed, and I could with the 35 watt halogen that came with the bike. Moreover, the ADVMonster Native bulb caused the LED indicator bulbs on my heat controller to flicker in-time with the headlight. (I could run it on low, sometimes on medium). I replaced it with a an Evitek E1 ballast-less and fan-less bulb. The native had a slightly better low beam pattern, but the Evitek has a FAR better high beam pattern (Eye of Sauron!). It also uses 20 watts for comparable light output, which frees up even more wattage for my heated gear. So I'll list the native for sale on the marketplace eventually. It does work great in limited-space headlight buckets, it's just not the right bulb for my application.

Charles.
  7. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    CC

Your native used 2.1a at 12.7 vdc when it left our facility. About 27watts.

It would be a stretch for the Native to use more power than a 35w haolgen. Do u have a voltmeter on the bike?
    magikk likes this.
  8. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Well, something about it interfered with my heated vest operating. The bulb itself flickered at low rpm, and it caused the LED on the heat controller to also flicker at the same rate. As rpm increased, the flickering of the headlight was no longer noticeable, but the flickering of the LED on the heat controller still was. Granted, that bike was a weird one, as the power to the headlight comes directly from the regulator, and is theoretically isolated from the battery and the rest of the electronics... in practice it was interfering with the regulator somehow.

Charles.
  9. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    CC,

I highly recommend a voltmeter.

The behavior you describe is indicative of a large load being pulled from a lower output charging system. The system is discharging the battery while voltage continues to drop as the stator cannot supply adequate wattage.
  10. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    Right. And that happens with the Native bulb, but not the Evitek E1 bulb. I have a voltmeter, I've tested it with the stock 35 watt bulb and my heated vest, and it worked with a slight voltage drop at idle. The Evitek bulb produced no drop at idle. I didn't bother to test the native bulb, it was very obvious it was not working well with the funky lighting system, and it made the vest unusable.

Charles.
  11. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    CC,

I'd really like to understand how your heated vest can work with a 35w halogen that uses significantly more power than the led and not work with the led?

A bike mounted voltmeter may save you from towing/trailering the bike home.
  12. nvklr

nvklr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^^ I would guess that there is some sort of RF eminence from the LED bulb that is interfering with the heat controller on the vest. I had some fleabay LED's that induced static into my truck radio so I went back to the halogen bulbs. Could be something to that effect maybe?
  13. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    That's easy. There's something odd with the design of this LED bulb, at least for this application. I've tried three other LEDs on this bike - the Evitek E1, Evitek F2, and the ADVMonster H4 R3. Four total with the Native bulb. Only the native bulb flickered. And the native bulb flickered even when the vest was not plugged in or turned on. None of the other bulbs did that. Only the Native and the Evitek E1 actually fit. (And only the E1 fit in the original reflector, the Native bulb did not, but I had a spare 5.75" reflector that it did fit into).

Now remember, my bike is odd. It has two 12V power outputs from the regulator. One goes to the battery, one directly to the headlight. In this manner, the headlight is only on when the bike is running. On a different bike where the LED is on the same circuit as the battery and the charging system, it doesn't seem to flicker. I should test it on one of my other bikes with the heated vest plugged in, and see if it works or not.

The idea of RF interference on the power line messing with the vest is a distinct possibility.

Charles.
  14. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Wouldn't explain why the led flickers as well. As described, it is a power (watts) issue. IE the electric vest was "unusable". The Native has been used on much more complicated bikes without any issues.
  15. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    The native bulb flickers with or without the vest plugged in, so it’s not the vest’s fault. If it’s a power draw issue then the fault is the native bulb because a 35w halogen and literally every other LED bulb I tried worked fine, without flickering. Even a different advmonster bulb. Something about the Native bulb doesn’t play well with my electrical system.

Charles.
  16. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    CC

What's the voltage going to the headlight at idle?
  17. ChopperCharles

Oddometer:
    It doesn’t matter. I have my solution now. I’m not going to pull it all apart to experiment further when I have a solution that works for me now.

Charles.
  18. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    CC,

Didn’t ask for any experiment! Simple question not specific to the bulb being used.

Attempting to determine if the Native has an issue.
  19. Zeewe70

Zeewe70 Beer and more Beer

Oddometer:
    What bulb for the 2019 RE Himalayan?
  20. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Probably a h4 type. Check your owners manual. Haven't found any RE parts fiche.