ADVrider - Bay Area Rim Job

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by R-dubb, Jun 5, 2002.

1. boyscout

boyscout sittin' down

Oddometer:
    m-kay.

Looking closer to the description of this ride I realize it is on a Wednesday. Might not make it but we'll see.

-BS
  2. Baldy

Baldy Founder of ADV Administrator

Oddometer:
    Gonna ride the RT or the KLR?

I've got a similar decision to make since I haven't got on the stick yet and put the KLR up for sale.
  3. jcolombo

jcolombo Lurking Moderator

Oddometer:
    Hmmm. 500 miles on a KLR. I know you have that nice Corbin saddle, but I think you might be wishing you were on the racing bike at the end of the day.

I'm actually going to take the GS. Seems to be the right scoot for the roads. (and yes, I have a GS now. It's a sickness, really). In fact, given the choice between the KLR and the KRS on theses roads, I might actually lean toward the KLR. The weight of the KRS on the tight roads was always a bit tiring to me, although I'm not in triathalon shape.

-JC
  4. Jean-Luc

Jean-Luc Throttle committed

Oddometer:
    What ever name you'll give to it, R-Dubb, that's a really cool idea you got! 500 miles of very twisty roads in one day... uh... better be at a very fast pace :evil Me think taking my new beast then: the V-Strom :ssmile

BTW, BS congrats :thumb on your new Adventure! You're gonna suffer on your way to the Death Valley next time but you will rule over there.
  5. Jean-Luc

Oddometer:
    Oh, I will, I will! I'm still in the break-in period though and so I'll write a review later. First impression is very positive for what I was looking for: having a lot of power and a good handling on twisty/bumpy paved roads. I still have my Dakar for real Dual-Sports rides...
  6. boyscout

boyscout sittin' down

Oddometer:
    You know, you and Baldy seem to be glass half empty kind of guys. I happen to believe that this is going to be an extremely comfortable bike.

-BS
  7. R-dubb

R-dubb Dubbious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    jeez Jean-Luc,

With you twistin' the grip on a V-Strom; me think I better give you a Garmin file and you can find the way.... :eyes

We be quick...

The ride should be way cool. With the exception of finding a good, not too long or too rough way down from the top of Loma Prieta the route just kind jumps off the map.

Any of you South Bay guys know the way from Loma Prieta over through the Mt. Elizabeth Preserve? :1zhelp I think the Casa Loma way down to the west from Summit Rd is closed.... Not that its is a big deal, cause going around takes less time anyway.

R-dubb
  8. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Out.
  9. Baldy

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm gonna be tired by end of day. I rode the KLR long days to Baja and it wasn't a problem except for the slab. I'm thinkin' I'll have more fun on tight twisties with it.
  10. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:

This implies that you have not ridden the KLR in tight twisties yet?
  11. thwack

thwack Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can tagged with a shortened schedule at work today...no day-long partying on work days for me for a while. :mad: Likely to have some weekends screwed up too...oh well, at least it keeps me participating in the "payroll continuation plan" so it's not all bad...

What time does Alice's open for breakfast? Maybe I can catch the start of the ride and at least get in a salute or two...

Thwack
  12. mongox

mongox ARRRRGH!!!

Oddometer:
    How about Highland Road to Eureka canyon Road to (I think) Brown's valley road to Mt Madonna Road ( the old one) down to Redwood retreat ( about 2 miles of good dirt road) to watsonville road to Morgan Hill Up Montery (or Santa Teresa or Uvas) to Metcalf, Up Metcalf to Quimby and up Mt. Hamilton. Good roads, lots of twisties. I have left out a few connector Roads but they are there)
    Mongo_X
  13. Baldy

Oddometer:
    Got about 2,000 tight twistie miles on it. It's fun because it's so bloody light and the wide handlebars make it a breeze to toss back and forth. Only problem is the tires aren't very confidence-inspiring on the pavement.
  14. jcolombo

jcolombo Lurking Moderator

Oddometer:
    I'd put some new skins on it for the ride - will only help the resale if/when you decide to sell it. I've got a set of tire irons if you want to purchase the tires and try the "manual" method. I could use the practise. Otherwise, Road Rider in San Jose could probably set you up with little trouble.

-JC
  15. Jean-Luc

Oddometer:
    Sorry BS, I didn't want to spoil your excitement about your new bike. FWIW I'm definitely not a half empty kind of guy! I just try to see the pro and cons when I want to buy something as important as a bike. When I tried the KTM I decided it was not what I was looking for: I went for the Dakar who has also its pro and cons. Enjoy your ride:smiler
  16. Jean-Luc

Oddometer:
    You already did all the work :thumb : I would surely love to have the Garmin Routes. The "ideal" for me would be to ride in small (2-4) riders'groups and meet for foods/drinks. What do you guys think?
  17. boyscout

boyscout sittin' down

Oddometer:
    Yah- I know. I was just joking around with you. I realize the shortcomings of the bike.

-BS
  18. Jean-Luc

Oddometer:
    Cool! Are you going to be done with your break-in before this ride?
  19. boyscout

boyscout sittin' down

Oddometer:
    The smaller group thing sounds like it makes sense. I'm thinking that I will not likely do the whole thing. --Insert list of excuses here--. Even if that were not the case, this ride would definitely be pushing my limits. I'll hang with ya'll till around lunch though.

-BS
  20. boyscout

boyscout sittin' down

Oddometer:
    The bike is a demo bike that was set up for a City Bike article. It has 280 miles on it already with the first 100 put on by the shop to get it tuned for the test ride. I should be able to get it through at least the first 650 by the ride.

-BS