ADVRider Relay

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Shmerel, Apr 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ozimick

ozimick destination unknown

Oddometer:
    Ok Shmerel I will play, enter me in with the Qld contingent
  2. Shmerel

Shmerel

Oddometer:
    nsw =motorans
    qld =ozimick
    nt = smileymick
    wa = farwwayman
    sa =?!!
    tas = ?!!

(to help: rosscoact and others listed on this thread - see above))

posting it now on the jm main site.
  3. Shmerel

Shmerel

Oddometer:
    bump
  4. Trang

Trang ... 2nd last to the Sweep

Oddometer:
    http://www.ouraynews.com/Articles-i-2008-06-11-180022.112113_Stuffed_bird_puts_on_miles_in_crosscountry_charity_ride.html

June 11, 2008
    A motorbike dash across the country is helping raise money for health care in hard-to-reach places.
    On Monday, June 9, Sun reporter Robb Magley passed off "Pooey," a stuffed ostrich, to Karen Mesikapp, after taking him from Montrose to Ignacio's new public library, all to help a special kind of motorbike rider: health care workers on the African continent.
    Pooey is playing the part of baton in a massive fund-raising motorcycle relay that will eventually cross every U.S. state and Canadian province, before heading to New Zealand, Australia, India, Turkey, Scotland and points beyond.
    Magley took possession of Pooey Sunday night, June 8, from riders Mika Meyer, of Crested Butte, and James Eller, of Delta.
    On Monday the bird rode over Red Mountain and Molas passes, through Durango and into Ignacio. Mesikapp and her husband Karl will be taking the bird through New Mexico and on to Arizona.
    The Adventure Rider Relay began May 16 at a rally in Hot Springs, N.C., and has since passed through South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Nebraska and Kansas before reaching Colorado Saturday, June 7. The U.S. and Canadian legs are expected to finish in September.
    The relay ride was organized by members of the 65,000-strong online group ADVRider.com, a motorcycling forum for long-distance and adventure-oriented riders, to raise awareness and funds for Riders for Health, an international non-profit born out of the world of motorcycle racing.
    Riders for Health utilizes motorcycles as primary methods to access remote areas. For the majority of people living in rural communities on the African continent, the mobility of public health workers can mean the difference between life and death; for the people who live far from towns, the distances are vast — and the best roads a little more than dirt tracks.
    The group has programs based in the Gambia, Zimbabwe, Nigeria, Kenya, Lesotho and Tanzania, ensuring the vehicles used in health care delivery withstand the harsh conditions and keep running, mobilizing more than 1,000 health workers that reach more than 10 million people.
    To make a donation, send an e-mail to: advriderrelay@aol.com or visit the websites: Riders.org or ADVRider.com

Also See:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341891
  5. Mototrans

Mototrans Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    is rounding up his USA tour which means he's headed our way soon... I'm in for NSW... based in Syd...

Anyone else in NSW want to have a crack? If so put your hand up so we can start to put a structure together.

Cheers
    Moto
  6. Shmerel

Shmerel

Oddometer:
    I am reproducing below the ADV relay that is on thread at JM. Earlier this year I mentioned this to you, and received a strong interest from the Aussies who want to come on board.

Here's that thread; sit back and enjoy the pics ....
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341891

Once we get going, I will revert all communication to the JM thread, I am merley creating this thread temporarily to get this moving Down Under.

The bird has traveled all Canadian Provinces and 49 out of 50 US states. It is being prepped for Hawaii. Then it's on to us here!

A bloke called Horatio, I believe, has been given the bird and should be the one making arrangements with me for the transfer.

Horatio has my shipping address and should be contacting me soon, I am told. I am guessing the ETA on or before Oct 1st. Then it is our show, starting with an empty bird cage and whatever charity, if any, you want.

I was thinking the Flying Doctor Service (one of our perennial favorites) and am open to suggestions. Just let's put this issue to bed fast.

The key is to get a chain of riders to take the bird as fare 'round this big brown land (on bike!) as possible. It could even join the pudding for a while.

What I seek from you blokes and blokettes is a show of hands of people I can pass the bird to, who will reliably take a few pics of its travels, post it on the JM sticky thread, and then when we're done send the bird off to Oscar in Enzud for the next leg of the tour, and then after that over to the sub continent and then Africa.

So, please contact me on this thread advising me your name and the sector you want to cover. please do not delay, as time is of the essence and no one should miss out.

Obviously, this being a vast continent with much fewer riders that in America, we need some commitment here. Some of you have already PM'ed me (many thanks!), and I now kindly ask that you place your wish through this thread.

I would suggest that one person puts his/her name up for their state/territory, and then take responsibility for that area, with people then plugging into to the relevant sector.

I will take Vic and those of you who want to ride with the bird in Vic to Canberra should tell me so.

Last, for me this has come at a difficult time. The next 3 weeks is chockers of religious high holidays for me, and I have overseas family here. That means that I will not be posting so much. I can be contacted here or on 0417 358 837.

Righteeho! Let's do it, and show the yanks what a beautiful brown land we have here, that the bird can explore with us!

Gad, the worried ....
    .......................................................................................................

7. Shmerel

Shmerel

Oddometer:
    This list needs revision:

Victoria= Shmerel ... check .... on to crustyvarmint ? & farawayman. anyone else in mexico who wants a shot?
    ACT = ?
    New South Wales
    - Motorans (sydney) check ... on to Medimick and Romperstomper and ... ?
    Queensland= ozimick and ....?
    Northern Territory= ?
    Western Australia= farawayman ?
    South Australia ?
    Tasmania ?

i am sure it's OK if we fly the bird in between some places.
  8. smiley mark

smiley mark smiley

Oddometer:
    Gday, I put my hand up for NSW and said was travelling to NT in August... something has got confused here...do not think I can coordinate NT Cheers
  9. Marcbar

Marcbar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    AUSTRALIA

Victoria= Shmerel
    New South Wales
    Queensland
    Northern Territory
    Western Australia
    South Australia
    Tasmania

What happened to the ACT?
  10. Shmerel

Shmerel

Oddometer:
    are you putting you hand up for ACT? is that your bid, sir?
  11. DrPig

DrPig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Shmerel, Ozimick...

I'll put my hand up for ...... from Northern NSW - Gold Coast North to Gympie if it helps .... I am at your command !
  12. ozimick

Oddometer:
    Fine with me.

Anyone from north/north west Qld interested ???
  13. dastrom

dastrom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Happy to help if needed .

Hi Gad, hows the bm going?

Dave
  14. ozimick

Oddometer:
    Surely we can get enough ADV Riders together so we dont have to put the bird on a plane ?

I assume travelling anticlockwise yes ? Which would have DrPig to pick up from a NSWelshman to head north on the start of the QLD leg.

Is there anyone for the NT leg and pickup yet ?
  15. barra

barra trying to get there

Oddometer:
    Im in if that helps, Barra (Townsville)
  16. Peka

Peka Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd like to tag along with ozimick and drpig. When is the bird likely to be in our neck of the woods? I'm going to the GP so I hope the bird is still a few weeks away yet?
  17. aussiedav

aussiedav ... it's just a road

Oddometer:
    Mick and Gad, can't find a time frame here but if its any help I run to WA leave 15th Oct and head back from Perth area 27th Oct, heading Norseman>Ceduna>Port Augusta then Broken Hill. PA during 28th Oct.
  18. SteveRed

SteveRed Adventure Moto

Oddometer:
    I will be in the US from 11October to around 20October departing LA if I can bring the relay item from over there to over here????
  19. ozimick

Oddometer:
    Gad,
    Are there any confirmed dates as yet ? Arrival in Au ? Leaving from, Arriving at ?
  20. medicmick

medicmick Spike

Oddometer:
    I'm happy to do the mid to upper Mid North Coast leg...maybe pick up from Romper Stomper..... but it needs SYD to Romper..where's the Central Coast and Hunter/Watagan crew.... or Central coast mob? But I need firm dates so I can plan around shifts..

There should be a few from the Far Nth Coast that can pick up puie from say Maclean and run to QLD... there's a few from Lismore Nimbin Byron Tweed area.

I have 3rd 4th 5th 6th 11th 12th 13th 14th 15th 21st 22nd 23rd 24th 30th 31st of October off. Mick
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.