ADVRIDER round the world mascot relay?

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by GazzaFish, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Steel_Cowboy

Steel_Cowboy back in the saddle....homeward bound

Oddometer:
    I like the list for voting. If we can't come up with more mascot choices over the course of a few days, we can post it in Jo Mama, for the most views/replies, eh?

yes, we'll need to see if someone else rides in Antarctica. Another possible animal could be a crow, a mysterious, ingenious bird that takes to flight everyday... just a thought.
  2. dangerz

dangerz es veee

Oddometer:
    This idea sounds awesome and I'd be glad to trade hands in the Southern states somewhere.
  3. GazzaFish

GazzaFish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    glad to have aboard dangerz.

OK, the list so far :-

1. Mooning Gnome
    2. Wolf of some sort
    3. Crocodile/Aligator
    4. Crow

As soon as we agree on about 5 mascots we'll put it to the vote. Might have to find a few links to where we can get the mascots from..??? I'll have a look....
  4. Fat Toney

Fat Toney Long timer

Oddometer:
    A mascot...seriously...so we have something to put on all the cheerleading outfits?

[​IMG]
  5. Fat Toney

Fat Toney Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry guys...I misunderstood...I thought this was posted in Jomomma...
  6. helixblue

helixblue Daredevil Clutz

Oddometer:
    I've done this a few times with geocaching.com travel bugs (http://www.geocaching.com/track/faq.aspx). The concept there is slightly different however.. you hide the mascot at a known location in between people. I think the relay way is actually better because you get to meet with other ADVriders. If the relay gets nearby N. Georgia, I'm there. :)
  7. Cooltours

Cooltours Rider of passion

Oddometer:
    Now.... would anyone now fire that first ball finally up or do we talk the thing dead? I'm anyway worring a bit that this ass-gnome won't ever make it over the pond...... :-(
  8. Steel_Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Coverage for the US at this point includes:

ROcky Mountains
    South: Texas (dangerz) and N. Georgia (helix blue)
  9. EagleFeather

EagleFeather Flyin' High

Oddometer:
    Count me in -

ps. I think the mooning gnome rocks!
  10. Steel_Cowboy

Oddometer:
    ... a croc biting his ass would be HI-larious!!

I really can't think of anything else right now... and it doesn't really have to start with a ADV mascot, we could use the mooning gnome and start planning the ride, that would be great, eh?
  11. GazzaFish

Oddometer:
    Cool. OK, how long should the journey take? What if we try limit the trip to a maximum of 12 months. That gives about 6-7 weeks per continent roughly. I can start the trip in mid jan 2008. I'm planning a 9 day trip leaving melbourne, crossing to tassie via the 'spirit of tassie' ship, doing a lap of Tassie and then back home. I'd then need someone to run a trip from melbourne heading to with Sydney of Adeleaide around early Feb.

Then again, If someone else wishes to start the trip earlier, im happy to for go the starting rights as long as im still part of it. I.e. if someone wants to make sure the mascot is in melbourne mid jan, then I can take it from there..

In true Advrider spirit, being part of it is all I need. :D
  12. Steel_Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Yes, a year sounds good: January 2008 to January 2009, we'll start with you in Australia and then we should decide if we go clockwise or counter. Whats the cheapest post from Australia? That may be the answer.

If we can find someone to ride in Ant even for a few days, that would be cool!

We have several takers on the US side, so we need to get a European/Asian/African /S. American contigent going. Let's divide it and post in the regional forums. Shall we put a vote for this rides mascot in Jo mamma for more coverage???
  13. GazzaFish

Oddometer:
    Yep, I'll post a 'vote' in Jo Mamma and see what we get back :evil

Once we have a mascot chosen, I'm happy to actually buy it / souce it. Then we need a volunteer from each continent to help organsie things. I'll do Australia..In about 1-2 weeks, we'll put a post in the regional forums for interest.

Cheers.
  14. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    I'm in if it gets to Alberta Canada :patch We did this on an Intruder forum and many members got the chance to meet each other. Cool idea :lurk
  15. Steel_Cowboy

Oddometer:
    GazzaFish, once you post in JM, if you haven't already, post a link here, so people who come across this can cross reference it.... I haven't seen it, but also I CAN't read!! This is gonna be fun! :D
  16. Dakar Dan

Dakar Dan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gazza, great idea.
    How about a wombat?
    Would it need to be posted from continent to continent, or could someone actually carry it? If we have enough lead time, it could travel personally, even if its only on a business trip. That way the handover process would be continuous and, ahem, personal.
    We could start a "sticky" trip report where peeps could post pics of the mascot in spots around the world.
    Imagine the quarantine the furrry little f***er would be subject to on returning to Oz :rofl
  17. dangerz

dangerz es veee

Oddometer:
    Awesome, I really hope this kicks off. Everyone should make sure to take some pictures and maybe even some video with the mascot at spots that represent your area. At the end of the yearlong journey, we can make a really cool video of the mascot travelling the world :)

If you can get the mascot to me here, I can kick off the United States run. In fact, I could probably ride it from Texas towards Helix Blue in Georgia since that seems to be a good distance. I'll stop off at the Mississippi River and other misc spots (feel free to suggest any) along the way. I'd be leaving from Benbrook, TX.

If we do it around a time when I can pull off a 4-day weekend (Thanksgiving time period), I can stop in New Orleans as well. It adds a couple hundred miles extra so I'd need an extra day.
  18. GazzaFish

Oddometer:
    Excellent. This will definately fly. I'll start it off in january with my 9 day trip around tasmania, then hand it over to someone in Melbourne to continue the journey. The link in Jo mamma is here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265066

WOW. A video made up of 5 minutes from each advrider carrying the mascot in each different part of the world... Sounds interesting.. I'd be happy to do the editing of all footage into one production (although I am also happy for others to put their hand up)..:clap

The idea of a pig as a mascot actually sounds OK to me... tough, grunty, plays in mud....
  19. dangerz

dangerz es veee

Oddometer:
    I like the book idea as well. Make sure to list all the spots that the mascot went to next to your name as well.
  20. Fast_Boy_Slim

Fast_Boy_Slim Don't call me Wighty

Oddometer:
    Count me in for the UK leg of "Pass the Possum" or whatever this is going to get called.

FBS