AdvRider Stella

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by climbamt, Dec 9, 2013.

1. climbamt

climbamt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Howdy all,

Just picked up a 2003 Genuine Stella 2T. Got it for a great price and plan to turn it into something I can throw the sleeping bag and tent on and head for the massive hills of Maryland ;) and some of the great summer camping rallies the Mid-Atlantic offers.

[​IMG]

The owner said it wasn't running, but it kicked over on the second kick once we got it home.:clap Ran a mix of SeaFoam and pre-mix through it and it is now running GREAT!!! It was quite smoky at first, that is when I realized I used the premix gas can... Ooops ;) Pulled the jets and they were very clean....

[​IMG]

Funny story- pulled the left cowl and there was a heart with Ramsay + Momi on the inside. They are members of the local Baltimore Scooter Community (and married to each other now). The scooter has been in Va and most recently a pit bike on the Eastern Shore of Md since Ramsay sold it.

[​IMG]

Here are a few of the projects ahead:

* Deep scrubbing and waxing main body and leg shield
    * New tires
    * Paint or plastidip rims, rack, and leg shield guard
    * Light bondo to cowls
    * Plastidip cowls, horncast, and front fender
    * Saddle blanket seat cover
    * New cables where necessary
    * Cigarette lighter for charging phone

I am looking for a few parts if anyone has a parts Stella:

* Right brake lever
    * Electrical connector for the right brake
    * RH mirror
    * Battery strap
    * Front fender or fender guard
    * Rear turn signal lenses

Stay tuned for more updates as they happen. I hope that I can get it running and participate in the Cold Weather Challenge at
  2. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome. I also have a Genuine Stella 2T. Mine is an '09, avocado green, light brown seat, wide whitewalls. I put the seat and whitewalls on it. I bought it new, and have had a few minor problems. I had to replace the top end at under 500 miles, and a stator at just over 9,000 miles. The starter switch broke, so I removed it and wired up the kill switch to be the starter switch. When I replaced the stator, I removed the electric starter, and it is now kick only. IF I ever sell it, which isn't likely, I can put the electric starter back on. I'm already making plans to build a new more reliable engine for it. Stellas do smoke quite a bit on startup if you use the choke. But I like it. It's an internal combustion engine.
  3. climbamt

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jerry,

This smoking was excessive, but pretty sure it was due to the pre-mix and SeaFoam. It calmed down after it ran empty and we added fresh regular gas to the tank. :happay

The float valve had been sticking we think, but seems to have cleared itself up after the SeaFoam. That is why there is a pan under it. It is missing the plug at the back of the carb enclosure where you adjust the mixture.

~Gd
  4. JerryH

Oddometer:
    The plug is not needed. Mine was plastic, and I broke it while removing it. I believe it is just there to prevent you from messing with it. After I fried a top end, I rejetted mine richer. You will find lots of information on Stellas here. http://www.scootercentral.net/forums/
  5. hound dogger

hound dogger ain't growin' up

Oddometer:
    Is the Ramsay & Momi heart just written with a finger or something more permanent ? Pretty cool if you can leave it.
  6. climbamt

Oddometer:
    It has been on there for a while, and I plan on masking it off when I paint the cowls. It would be a shame to cover it up :wink:
  7. climbamt

Oddometer:
    It has a leg shield guard that mounts into those holes. It is going to be perfect for strapping a tent/sleeping pad to for camping. If I come across a front rack I would love one, but am also pushing forward on a budget. Thanks and stay tuned :evil
  8. climbamt

Oddometer:

Thanks Jerry!
  9. climbamt

Oddometer:

Thanks DaBear!

I was going to get another one. I figured it was there to keep gunk out.
  10. Indy21

Indy21 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice looking Stella, I have the same color only mines a 79 Vespa P200e, love the bike, alot of fun to ride.

Looking foward to seeing your upgrades, please comeback and post pics afterwards so we can all admire your work! :clap
  11. climbamt

Oddometer:
    Will do! Thanks for reading!

:deal
  12. Katesy

Katesy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I also have a P200 I've had for the last few years. I love it! It's been to many camping rallies here in the northwest, and on some solo camping trips last summer. Looking forward to seeing how the plastidip works out, I've been wanting to do the same.
  13. vt1099ace

vt1099ace Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm honestly surprised nobody has jumped in and ragged on you about getting a stella over a classic P, saying they're cr@p, junk, etc, etc... just check out other threads when the S word comes up....

I have a 4T 2012 Stella I'm breaking in (300 miles now) and outfitting to camp with (the 70 MPG hecka beats the 15 my jeep liberty gets...) but I've been afraid to talk about it to avoid getting just such a ragging....:cry

Other than CARB requiring it to be soooooo leaned out as to be nearly unrunable to register in CA (since Its been retuned into a range more real world usable) I've really had no problems with it.
  14. JerryH

Oddometer:
    There are a lot of threads on here about Chinese scooters, and they are far worse quality wise than the Stella. And as nice as they look, vintage Vespas are nowhere near Japanese or Taiwanese quality either. The biggest issue I had with mine was a seized top end, which I am sure was caused by the jetting being to lean. After replacing it, I rejetted a bit richer, and have had no more problems with the motor. The lean jetting is not the manufacturers fault, it is the EPA's fault. Fortunately it is easily corrected.

People also tend to forget that 2 stroke engines (mine is a 2 stroke) have more issues and do not last as long as 4 strokes. A guy named Pete rode his modern Asian made Rattler 110 2 stroke to Alaska, and had some serious engine problems (there is a ride report on here somewhere) He admitted later that he wished he had used a 4 stroke. But I love 2 strokes, and am willing to put up with some problems keeping mine going.

I paid $3000 OTD for my '09 Stella brand new. Roughly the cost of a vintage Vespa project bike that needs a lot of work. No, it's not a vintage Vespa, but it is the next best thing. It looks the same, and provides the same riding experience.
  15. climbamt

Oddometer:

If I could find a P for anything remotely close :deal to what I paid for the Stella, I wouldn't have batted an eye and would be a 2 Vespa household..... :lol3 As it it, I am going to have about 5 to 6 Hundred tied up in this beast, running and on the road.
  16. vt1099ace

vt1099ace Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh believe me i majorly research before buying....p vespa, would love one, sure...deal with a 40 year old cantankerous 2stroke?...all steel body, not tupperware over tubing? Whats not to love...drum brakes, front and back?...stella's disc might be considered just ok by modern standards but it is better than clasic drums...computer controlled fuel injection liquid cooling?:huh really? For scooter? And a 150 at that? P's/stella, pop the cowel and it' all right there, simple and straitforward...Stella being "just a clone"? Well, LML was a licensed manufacturer and kept making the P after vespa moved on to improved models...so its more a continuation of the model. And LML is about the only place to get replacement parts for old vespas that isnt NOS (like brazil/mexico for old bug parts)..

Indeed, i want to travel a bit on it, inspired by www.vespa360.com (arond the world on a 2T P-200) and others (like youtube's "hondavstheworld", irish guy travelled alaska to argintina ON A CUB!)...

If they can do it, so can we...
  17. climbamt

Oddometer:
    I agree with the simplicity of the older style scooter. Not a lot going on that doesn't need to.... I agree that the disc brake is a much needed improvement over the drum set up. Many wrecked Stellas have had the disc set up removed and placed on P series Vespas....

I have a friend who has traveled extensively on his lightly modded Stella. I hope to do a fair amount of travel with the Stella too.

Heck yeah! :beer :clap
  18. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    What is "traced"?
  19. climbamt

Oddometer:
    Oops spelling mistake... Should have been traveled.
  20. scootrboi

scootrboi Long timer

Oddometer:
    As a long time rider of a vintage scooter, I have a nugget of advice. These old scooters are capable of being run to death. They can overrun their own limits. Drive your Stella within its design limits, don't try to find out if you have the one which will go faster than it is meant to. Take it easy, be kind to your old scooter. It might surprise you with its durability.