Aerostich 1 piece suit:

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Coach Vader, Feb 18, 2019.

1. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does anyone actually ride around in just their underwear?* I think a pair of shorts would solve the issue. Also I never take my boots off to get in or out of the R3, don't know anyone who does.

* rhetorical...
    V-Tom, Macho Man2 and Coach Vader like this.
  2. Coach Vader

Coach Vader Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    just checking out my options. Don't know if I would like oneornot. Board has been very educational LOL.
  3. Coach Vader

Oddometer:

Georgia I see. So you I know see humidity. I also wear a "turtle" vest, so that traps a lot of heat regardless of what I had on.
  4. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    If it’s above 95 deg. Humid or Dry I’m just not riding, Roadcrafter or Mesh. I’m just miserable, can’t concentrate and it’s just not fun nor safe.
    Coach Vader likes this.
  5. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes this is surprising but then all times I have been through Atlanta it wasn't too bad. Then again DC generally isn't bad either only sometimes.
  6. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    At least on the VA side of things there’s visible humidity in the air most mornings during the summer. If that’s “not bad”, what do you consider actually bad? :p

Do cooling vests and similar strategies do anything when it’s >80% humidity? Wearing good moisture wicking underlayers I’m still constantly sweaty so I can’t imagine needing more evaporative cooling.
    Coach Vader likes this.
  7. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    A few years back (don't remember when exactly) we had 2.5 weeks when actual temperature exceeded 100F.. with typical humidity. Once I got caught up in Orlando afternoon traffic on loaded bike with reported 104F but those exceptions it rarely gets so bad. Those are the times you wish you were riding commando.
    [​IMG]
    RJ44 likes this.
  8. Coach Vader

Oddometer:
    cooling vest i'm going to try this year. yes, it's true in morning not as bad. mid day can get really hot and humid, but all good.
  9. Motonirvana

Motonirvana Can't make this shit up

Oddometer:
    F4CB9BCF-ABF3-46BA-9CB8-A723F2ABBF9D-5537-000005A976C06250.png
    TonyKZ1, Macho Man2 and sprouty115 like this.
  10. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    You don't have to take boots of when taking off (or putting on) a Roadcrafter. And I suspect most riders would wear shorts and a shirt under them in hot weather. I add a cooling vest (and close most vents) when it gets up in the 90's.

And really it is more like about 10 or 15 seconds to remove a Roadcrafter and not much more to put one on.

..Tom
    Macho Man2 likes this.
  11. Travman

Travman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With the humidity in GA, I do not wear the R3 above 80 degrees, especially when commuting. Above 80, I switch to a mesh jacket and Darien light pants.
    Coach Vader and sprouty115 like this.
  12. Travman

Travman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Forgot to mention that when commuting to work, I ride my Vespa. Yes I do wear my bright yellow hi-viz R3 on the Vespa. :clap
  13. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I trust your judgement Tom but we start getting into 'Stitch vs Motoport territory with most 'Stitch users would not understand how great Motoport is. Mine has been everywhere in NA from Arctic ocean to Sea of Cortes most lately surviving 60mph deer encounter with minimal damage. If I lived as far north like you, Rockies or NW I would definitely consider 'Stitch but it is just too hot for SE humid summer and probably won't be a best choice for summer in SW and the Plains, too hot! This is were kevlar mesh excels with better protection and air circulation; served me well 12 years now. Liners started leaking were replaced under warranty free of charge.

With regards to getting in and out in 1-piece, which boots? Carrying extra piece on long trip? How about when you get to work? With 2-piece you don't have any of those issues.. just saying.
  14. cblais19

cblais19 Long timer

Oddometer:
    ??

I don't think there's any legitimate argument to be made that an Aerostitch isn't a vastly more convenient suit for commuting type use. It's literally engineered to fit over a normal suit of clothes, fully unzips one entire leg (making it very easy to slip a full size boot through the other leg), and seals with a zipper & velcro.

Also, the SW and the plains are arid environments where cooling vest type setups with limited airflow actually work very well.
    Macho Man2 and Coach Vader like this.
  15. V-Tom

V-Tom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't speak to how good Motoport is and I know they have a strong following. My wife rides with Klim and is very happy but she does not commute or ride as much as I do.

For me being able to get in and out of my riding gear quickly and easily is very important. I have had mesh gear in the past and know they can be cool while putting around town at slow speeds (and I am sure when going offload down a single track trail.) In my daily riding and on rides I often will encounter large temperature swings in short periods of time. It can be 80°f when I depart and an hour later drop into the 60's or 50's Having to always close off the mesh to avoid getting too cold isn't worth it for me but being able to quickly close (or open) vents works for me.

BTW you may have seen before but here is how you get in a Roadcrafter. I take slightly longer as I clip together the snaps at the bottom of each each leg:

Commuting is a big part of my riding and between commuting, long trips and weekend rides I did over 50,000 km / 31,000 miles last year. My 2015 DL1000 turned over 160,000 km a few weeks ago. Since I got my first Strom in summer of 2006 I have ridden over 500,000 km / 300,000 miles on Stroms. The temperatures I rode in last year were from a low of 0°f / -18°c to a high of 100°f 38°c (wore a cooling vest for that.) Pouring rain, salted roads, snow, slush, gravel, etc. All of it was riding my Roadcrafter R3. The hottest I have ever been was about 126°f / 52°c in Death Valley back in 2011 and that was with my old Roadcrafter two piece (no cooling vest but pockets stuffed full of ice. It was HOT!).

The design of the Roadcrafter means you can take them off with your boots on. I don't know if there are some off-road oriented boots that are too big but in the past I have gotten my Sorel winter boots on and off with no issue and they are pretty bulky. As far as at work I wear a suit and tie most days and leave a pair of dress shoes at work.

There are literally thousands of people that have crashed in Roadcrafters and can attest to the great protection they provide. (BTW I believe Aerostich invented the concept of Armour in textile riding gear.)

..Tom
  16. stucknarut

stucknarut Uh oh...

Oddometer:
    This is my experience as well, riding in NC and CA. In the summer I wear shorts and a t-shirt under it, with flip flops or loafers in my saddlebags. I've ridden it in summer in NC at 90F, and through the central valley in CA at 105F. The R3 gets my vote for versatility. It really shines when you're transitioning between micro-climates. I can leave my house in central NC at a sunny 85F, and be riding in the mountains a few hours later in the rain at 65F, and all I have to do is open or close the vents. Add heated grips, stash a couple layering options in your bags, and a couple different sets of gloves, and you've covered a huge range of temps and conditions. That said, if you're going to spend most of your time in a narrower range of conditions (i.e., summer and early fall), might make sense to specialize.
    Macho Man2, twinrider, V-Tom and 2 others like this.
  17. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    I don't want to steer the thread in a Motoport vs. Aerostich direction either, as I think they are both great products.

But I am wondering what you mean by "with a 2-piece you don't have any of those issues"?
  18. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    1-piece vs 2-piece suit which with either Aerostitch or Motoport you have an option to choose either with the same or similar model.

My experience traveling with 2-piece that overall it is more convenient as you don't have to take bottom part completely to use bathroom and can use liners separately with more flexibility for conditions. Big ADV boots, dirt/mud, less than clean floors in your typical MikkiD/gas station accommodations even in US, cold weather, rain, dirt stuck in lower zippers, etc make taking off 1-piece far more difficult than just trying it home on coach. On negative side with separate jacket/riding pants you have more zippers/buttons to deal with so suitting up in the morning or putting liners in takes longer so there's a trade off too. For daily commute 1-piece would probably be better if you have a convenient place to undress at work. On other side with 2pc you have an option to use jacket and riding jeans if commute is short.
  19. sprouty115

Oddometer:
    Interesting, I found the 2-piece (in my case a Rukka Armas) much less convenient. Couldn't wear work clothes under it, so that made changing at work a necessity. Also the bathroom situation was "delicate" - trying to get pants low enough to sit yet fighting boots and knee pads.

Anyway, thanks for the response.
  20. stucknarut

stucknarut Uh oh...

Oddometer:
    Maybe you’re thinking track suit? As far as the stich goes....its all of 30 seconds to don or doff, a minute if my hands are cold, and you can just unzip it to pee. And for other things you’re not sitting there with your riding pants piled up on top of your dirt boots. For extended stops when it’s hot I’m not swamp-assing my riding pants. 2 piece still gets my vote for off pavement stuff because it’s easier to stand and move around, but that’s about it.
    Macho Man2, Coach Vader and V-Tom like this.