Aerostich Combat Touring Boots

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Don Coyote, Oct 24, 2017.

1. BornAgain

BornAgain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. Doug Just Doug

Doug Just Doug Silly Party Candidate Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are a pair of size 41 never-worn CBTs on eBay for $750. Seller originally had them at $1,000 but (surprise!) there were no takers. :^)
    realjpedersen likes this.
  3. realjpedersen

realjpedersen n00b

Oddometer:
  4. Manray

Manray Killing Time

Oddometer:
    In searching for a replacement for Combat and Combat Lite boots I found these. Boots are comfy, relatively light, waterproof and offer protection similar or better than CTB's. One downside is the soles are not replaceable. Sizing is also same as CTB's.

Sidi Canyon:

http://www.sidi.com/en/products/motorcycle/boots/turismo/canyon-gore

Rev'it Discovery Outdry:

https://www.revitsport.com/en/boots-discovery-outdry-43007.html#101

Revit Pioneer Outdry:

https://www.revitsport.com/en/boots-pioneer-outdry-42996.html#101
  5. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a pair of non Aerostich boots that look very similar. Made by Gaerne, bought second hand for not much from a retiring speedway rider in 1983 or '84. So at least 35 years old.
    They were never absolutely waterproof, but a thick coating of the now discontinued leather Nikwax kept day long rain out - tested in Ireland and in single day crossings of France in torrential rain. Even that rain that is so intense you have to stop.
    Eventually I bought some waterproof (as in totally) overboots/rain covers from Rukka who started selling PVC rain gear which was tough and durable enough to stand up to the rigors of dispatch riders in London. Pack size was small.
    Took a few seconds to put on and would allow walking, although never far, as who goes site seeing in a deluge?
    Of course, now discontinued. But others look to be serviceable.
  6. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I really like mine but I will be touring in my Alpinestars Tech 7’s.
  7. rboett

rboett posser noob 205

Oddometer:
    Snoseal,, smear it on the welt and around, hit it with a blow dryer, my cbt's turn 21 this year,,, I'll have to take them out for a drink! :)
    StuartV and Schlug like this.
  8. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:
    I just recently dug my CTB out of the back of the closet
    My Kochmanns, my everyday go to boot for much of the last 10 years or so are finally showing their age and the heal has nails poking into the footbed.
    So while I wait out finding a replacement my CBT go back into heavy rotation.

All things considered these 20 year old boots, with their one resole and new straps
    Have been a great pair of boot. I wore Sidi boots for years, but with their switch to fake leather I suspect I'll not be buying a new pair of their boots anytime soon.
  9. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    My CTBs just turned 20 this month. 1 resole. Original laces, buckles, straps, and velcro. Have been and still are my daily drivers (so to speak).
  10. rockydog

rockydog just a guy

Oddometer:
    I heat my boots and leather gloves up, either in the sun or warm oven, once a year. Wearing the gloves i smear the boots with snoseal, use a toothbrush on the sole threads. waterproof my gloves and boots together, the gloves have to sit in the sun for a day to get the stink gone
  11. ekim250

ekim250 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How are the Combat touring boots off the bike. Can you do little hikes with them? Looking for boots I can wear all day off the bike comfortably.
  12. rboett

rboett posser noob 205

Oddometer:
    The white soles on them are made for motorcycles. Definitely walkable. but they are not like a good vibram sole They used to be made (maybe still are) for Aerostich by SIDI .
    They run $387 now, so I may opt for something else. If I am doing any serious riding I have a pair of sidi adventure gortex, the ctb's are for my under the jeans, go to work boots. also I take along a pair of keen sandals for walking about, they pack very flat.
  13. ekim250

ekim250 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm wearing redwing 877's. Great for weekend moto-camping light offroading and wearing all day hiking and fishing. I worry about shin protection though. I don't want gore-tex liners, "too hot". And I don't want to have to bring a second pair of shoes. Maybe aerostich lights? Wondering if the flat sole version as opposed to the wedge would work?
  14. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    It depends on the break-in process. If you break them in from new, the leather forms creases in the perfect spots to flex with your own ankles/feet. My CTBs are as comfortable as any other shoe I own, wear them all the time on trips or all day when commuting, never notice anything but being a bit warm in hot weather, and even then at least as cool as anything else with full coverage. They should be as good as regular hiking boot unless you have special orthopedic needs. I have the full version with 'cleated' soles.
  15. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have 899s. Very nice boot but I prefer the Sidi cleated sole when riding, the vibram heels get caught up on my pegs. I'm also concerned the leather on the 899s will leak or deteriorate faster since it isn't silicon impregnated. I bought the Redwings instead of the CTB lights when Aerostich discontinued them. If you find a lightly used pair in your size at a decent price I'd snatch them up.
  16. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer:
    Yes you can, but you have to wear them a lot to break them in first.
    So if your hike is anytime in 2019 then I would advise against it.
    BigEasy likes this.
  17. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Supposedly they can be broken in faster by 'casing', soaking them in water and then walking around in them. Tends to shorten the life of the leather however.
  18. WindBlast

WindBlast without music life would Bb

Oddometer:
    SnoSeal once a year and no leaks. I love my CBT lites. Quality design and execution. I think that is why they stayed around so long. It is a shame they are gone.
  19. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer:
    If you do get a pair do yourself a favor the first day and remove the inner laces and replace them with a leather lace as shown.

IMG_0448.jpg
  20. Don Coyote

Don Coyote Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone that had their CTBs resoled had problems with the soles separating?