Aerostich Combat Touring Boots

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by levain, Mar 4, 2007.

1. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    before all the whiners tell me to do a search, yes, I did it. I'm about to place an order for these boots, but, just want to ask a few more questions.

Once broken in, I've read some folks say they suck to walk in, some say they are great. This is important to me, because I don't like to pack extra shoes if I don't have to. Boots and sandals are all I like to take. My Oxtars are incredibly comfortable to walk in. How about the CBT's?

How long did it take YOU to break yours in? Lites or standard CBT's? I'm planning on the lite..

What did you use on the boots for waterproofing, and, how waterproof have they been for you? I know Aerostich makes no claims to them being waterproof, but, it seems most are?

Buckles. I guess they break? Should I order extras? Are they easy to replace on the road?

Which sole and why? I'll probably get the cleated. The one thing I do not like about my Oxtars is how slippery they can be..

Thanks
  2. Pir8te

Pir8te over forty victim of fate

Oddometer:
    Combat touring broke them in in a week of daily wear now have about 70,000 miles and need a resole
    Never had a complaint about them ...they breakin faster than the Darien suites still on my original buckles the trick is to set them before latching them.... string looks like it could use a repair
    I still have extra buckles that came with mine at the time only 1 sole was offerd it it ok

Used sno-seal and a heatgun ( http://workingperson.com/products/85_101/1/984/SNO-SEAL_7_Oz._Beeswax_Waterproofing.html?source=aw&gclid=CJ7swcT724oCFQ5fggodIGqj2gal) this on them every 2-3 yrs and have never leaked and leather looks great
  3. FarmerRick

FarmerRick Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a set of size 10 CBT's that are probably 8 or so years old. Somewhere along the line I ended up with a pair of GAERNE trials boots that my feet really like. I don't know what size you wear, but, if 10's will fit and you'd like to try some out, you're welcome to mine... if you decide to keep them, we can negotiate a fair price.

They are NOT waterproof. That being said, if you don't stand around in water, your feet will generally stay dry. I've never had wet feet in the CBT's while riding and that includes some pretty interesting hurricane riding over the years.

So... for what it's worth... they are great boots but do take a little while to get broken in!!

Rick
  4. levain

Oddometer:
    PM sent
  5. levain

Oddometer:
    oh, and, are yours the lite or regular height boots?
  6. djg

djg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a pair I bought in october of last year. I broke one strap walking around breaking them in, aerostich sent me two for free. I went to Duluth and tried them on for size. Beware, aerostich relabelled the size 47/12 1/2 as a size12, just stuck their label over the sidi box label. They are not yet broken in. They are comfortable, but I wouldn't want to hike in them.

I bought aquaseal at aerostich, it is still winter here and I haven't worn them on the bike or gotten them wet.

I really like the speedlaces, some do not.

I bought some discovery boots and evo vortex boots used on ebay, trying to find a better boot, but of the three, I like the CTB the best.
  7. AK Bear

AK Bear Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had the full CBTs for 3 years now. Took a few days to break in but now feel great. Good boots are that way. Used Snow Seal on them and have never had wet feet. If I had it to do over I would get the lites but they wern't available at the time. I just don't need the extra height. Bear
  8. Sycamore

Sycamore d00b

Oddometer:
    I got CBT Lite about 9 months ago, exactly the same as CBT but shorter.
    Felt stiff but ok to walk in immediately. Wore them daily, withing a couple of days they felt broken in.
    They're pretty comfortable, in fact I wore them all day at the office and then to a restaurant yesterday (about 9am - 11pm) and didn't even notice that I was wearing boots.

Lately I've been riding in Berik motocross boots (even round the city) so the CBT's feel like slippers in comparison.

Haven't used any waterproofing, only Chelsea leather food. the boots are filthy usually.
    Buckles seem strong, I cant imagine them breaking.
    Soles- I went for cleated, I heard that the other soles are very slippery on wood floors.

I love them for quick trips but after starting to wear full MX boots, my shins and feet feel naked with anything else.

BTW the CBT are actually made by Sidi and are VERY similar to the Sidi Discovery.

pic at http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2900713&postcount=111
  9. gratefulJED

gratefulJED long strange tripper Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have had the CTB for a couple of years - beastly. Not the lites and not the lugged sole. Not waterproof. I just bought the Oxtar infinitys and I won't be going back to the CTB. IMHO they outshine the sidis in every respect. Get the oxtars again.
  10. Bunny Wigglesworth

Bunny Wigglesworth Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got a pair of full CBT's last Tuesday. Wore them a couple hours on Wed, Thurs, and Fri, spend nine hours walking the mall in them on Saturday (dont ask). Very comfy. Didnt know I had them on. Used Chelsa leather food for break in. No wet weather riding yet.

High quality, comfortable, seem built to last and last and last.

Re-soleable.
  11. Slice

Slice words+pix+wood+bikes

Oddometer:

'Nother PM sent!
  12. westnash

westnash Long timer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone ridden a Strom much in these boots and is there plenty of room on the stock pegs and clearance in shifting?

They are a tough boot and break in well in time!
  13. GoFar

GoFar My butt hurts.

Oddometer:
    Owned my CBT's for four years, and I love them. I used a blow dryer and sno seal to work the work repellancy in, and that seemed to loosen them up quite a bit. They are water proof when this is done. There is no way to really short cut the break in, other than to wear them. They are stiff when new. If the heal rubs, then use a little duct tape on the back of the boot, or YOUR heal.

Actually, my CBT's rank among the most comfortable footwear I own!
  14. Tramontana

Tramontana .

Oddometer:
    I purchased them new, not quite three years and about 45,000 miles ago. They were a little stiff the first day but I wore them to work (I sit at a computer way too much) and they've been great since.

I now wear them all day long, day in day out, whenever I'm riding, then turn them upside down over a floor register when I get home at night.

I treat them once a year to Nikwax for leather boots,

from REI: http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=48034497&parent_category_rn=40001852

and polish them with black shoe polish occasionally since I wear them to work. Again, prewarming them over a register with the furnace at 70dF seems to work well for me. The leather opens up and takes the proofing pretty well.

I have had only one issue with these boots in all of time and miles I've had them. The original loop pile on the velcro fuzzed up pretty badly. I contacted Aerostich and they gave me a RA number and directions to send them in for repair. Took a little over a week, and they were back, good as new.

Now, all of this said, I just purchased a pair of Sidi Crossfire SRS boots this past weekend for more aggresive trail riding. The CTB doesn't offer quite enough protection in my mind's eye, for the offroad riding currently planned (if the snow ever melts).

For commuting, day rides and adventure touring I'll stick with my CTB's and will eventually purchase them again when the time comes.

Cheers and good luck with your decision.
  15. westnash

westnash Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone wear them on a Strom with stock pegs?
  16. mistercindy

mistercindy In a state of equilibrium

Oddometer:
    North Dallas 'burb in a box made of ticky tacky.
    Y'know, Jim, I've done a search on CBT boots for the same questions you've asked and found no specific answers as I'm sure you did. I was going to do a very similar thread as this, and was going to start it by saying "I've done the damn search so don't ask.":lol3

Thanks for the thread!

So you're getting the lites? If they are exactly the same but for the height (and one extra velcro strap on top), as Aerostich says, then I'm leaning to the regulars because I like the extra little bit of leather on my shins (pebbles at 80 mph hurt like a mofo...). The web page for the lites says they are 11" tall, and I know I want more than that, but do you know the height of the regular CBTs? I would imagine at least 13", but I haven't noticed a source that says for sure.

And do you know if sizing is standard? I once bought a pair of Cruiserworks (which I wouldn't do again) boots on-line four or five years ago, and it took three times to get the damn size right! It took over a month and after all the money spent on shipping they were expensive boots! Major PITA!

And they can be resoled by the local cobblers, right? The web site says somebody in CA can do it, but I believe it says the local boys can do it, too.

BTW, I'm getting the cleated, too. I'm assuming its Vibram or something like it that's oil resistant.
  17. novek

novek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On a recent trip my bike was pillaged by a jackass while I was in a mini-mart. Thief stole my tarp, and my sandels. :cry

So,..18hours a day for 3 days in the CBTs. Did some light hiking, camping etc.. never took them off. Rode through rain and mud and my feet stayed dry. I have done water crossings with them and stayed dry. I wouldn't stand in a river with them tho:deal

One thing of note is that they run very large. I started with the 14 and sent them back for the 12 1/2. I usally wear a 14-15, so ymmv.

I lowsided a street bike on pavement in Jan with mine on. Boot got between the bike and the ground. Nothing broken, and I got a little rash on the boot to show the ladies.:rofl

Good street and touring boot, but I am looking for more of a MX boot for the rough off pavement stuff.
  18. levain

Oddometer:
    you must have an Aeroflow on your bike:D

I think the standards are 15" tall. that's too much for me. I have a hard time with my 12" oxtars rubbing on the armor of my Motoports..
    somebody above says they run large, but, it seems most folks say they run pretty true to size. We'll see when mine arrive. I placed an order earlier today.
    I think any cobbler can replace the sole. Can't be too difficult for someone that knows what they are doing.
  19. westnash

westnash Long timer

Oddometer:
    Aeroflows are the ticket.....any good cobbler can replace a CBT sole,,,some people get a real lug but I think that is very dangerous as it can really grab and hold.
  20. mistercindy

mistercindy In a state of equilibrium

Oddometer:
    North Dallas 'burb in a box made of ticky tacky.
    Guilty as charged....:D And still darn glad to have it!

That is a tall boot. My current BMW Contours are 11 1/2", and I'd like another couple of inches of protection. That and I can't stand my jeans flappin' above my boot. It doesn't happen a lot with the Contours, but it happens all the time with my Sidi Champions which are around 8" which is why I just don't wear them anymore. But still, 15" is pretty darn tall.

When I spoke to the Aerostich people they said they're pretty true to size. I'm usually an 11 (Lucchese boots and Johnston Murphy, for example), and I'm a 46 in my Sidi boots and BMW boots (both pair are just a bit large, but the 45s are just a bit small). The woman at Aerostich advised that I get size 11. We'll see....

Write a review. That way we can be whiners about somebody not searching your review of Aerostich CBT lites!:lol3

I'm assuming that, too.