Aerostich fading ... Nikwax involved?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Chickenstrip, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Chickenstrip

Chickenstrip Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't want to cast aspersions on Nikwax, but years ago I washed my nicely red Stich, which I know are prone to fading, and within a short period of time the red started to go. Has anyone experienced fading with any gear after washing with Nikwax Techwash?

I ask because my gear is worn out now (both faded and no longer waterproof) so I'm looking for new. I have the chance of getting another red Roadcrafter, but the idea of it fading (simply because I washed it?) is a deterrence.

I can hear it now ... "Buy Klim!" Or something other. I'm tempted, but I am partial to Stich, at least for now.
    Macho Man2 likes this.
  2. Boricua

Boricua Long timer

Oddometer:
    How much time you spend with it in the sun? UV radiation is more the likely the cause. Which mean no matter what you use to wash it, it will fade.
    9Realms, Jim K., Macho Man2 and 3 others like this.
  3. Wearyeyed

Wearyeyed Lost Soul

Oddometer:
    Def sun. It’s patient, and effective.
    9Realms and Chickenstrip like this.
  4. Chickenstrip

Chickenstrip Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm sure the sun is it, but I'm wondering if the wash removed some sort of UV protection coating in the fabric. I searched about the web and didn't find any discussions about this, so maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree. But I though I'd check to see.
    Macho Man2 likes this.
  5. Doug Just Doug

Doug Just Doug Silly Party Candidate Supporter

Oddometer:
    Red fades much faster, Aerostich has disclosed this for years. Think of it as a source of pride for riding many miles-- I know riders with pink, almost white (formerly red) RCs. BTW, I've used Techwash many times on 'Stich gear since the mid-1990s with no ill effects.
  6. wasproxy

wasproxy Global Moto Tourer

Oddometer:
    My first Darien jacket was washed only with powder, my second with only TekWash. Both faded the same way over the same amount of time. Further proof it’s not Nikwax is that the fading on the shoulders is worst, with the fade tapering down the sleeves, and the back worse than the front. Definitely sun related. I never suffered any waterproofing issues with Tekwash on this or any other gear.
    Macho Man2 and Chickenstrip like this.
  7. Chickenstrip

Chickenstrip Long timer

Oddometer:
    I see they no longer offer red ... maybe the fading is why. I sorta do think of it as a badge of honor, but now the jack, and my Darien pants, are no longer water resistant (especially the pants), and I've been riding in the faded state for years ... so it's time for something new.
  8. Chickenstrip

Chickenstrip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Along these lines, does anyone have a sense if Hi viz yellow fades similar to the red (length of time before fading, degree of fading)?
    Macho Man2 likes this.
  9. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:
    Yep, a stained pink 'stich is a badge of honor. They really ought to sell them that way.

And yep, all Hi Viz fades. That's just the physics of fluorescent materials. Whether that's quicker or slower than the red/pink 'stich, I dunno. But you can always tell a difference in hi viz gear within a few months. It's a tradeoff.
  10. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers Supporter

Oddometer:
    NixWax has a product called UV Proof, as do others. use it.
    Chickenstrip likes this.
  11. Limbow

Limbow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My R3 is 5 years old and hasn't faded much that I can tell. It's pretty dirty though. I just rode in the rain this morning and was bone dry as usual. BTW, it's High-Viz Lime Yellow and not fluorescent.
    Chickenstrip likes this.
  12. Macho Man2

Macho Man2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have 2 red Aerostich Roadcrafter's, one is a classic that I wear in cooler weather that really hasn't faded that bad and it's born date is 2008 and the other is a R-3 with a born date of 2016 that I wear in warmer weather that gets bright and hot summer sun and it's really faded quickly to almost pink. So yes with red it's the nature of the beast it will fade, but both still keep me dry riding in the rain. My R-3 new and you can see the pick starting to show in 2018. 20171026_195534.jpg 20190829_123028.jpg
    Doug Just Doug and Chickenstrip like this.
  13. Doug Just Doug

Oddometer:
    I haven't owned any hi-viz Aerostich, but I remember that their first hi-viz faded so quickly they instituted a recall of sorts. The newer hi-viz looks a bit yellower than the older hi-viz, and I assume it hasn't been fading any faster than other manufacturer's hi-viz because I haven't seen anything from Aerostich about that. You can always contact Aero directly -- they've always been very up-front about their products, even the negative stuff.
  14. Chickenstrip

Chickenstrip Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wonder when they first introduced the hi-viz yellow? I'm looking at a suit from 2014.
  15. brianbrannon

brianbrannon They'll ride up with wear

Oddometer:
    You washed off the UV blocking dust
  16. viajero

viajero Too old to be a nOOb

Oddometer:
    This is me and my formerly red 'stich.:1drink
    Doug Just Doug likes this.
  17. Doug Just Doug

Oddometer:
    I think it was long before 2014, but maybe someone who knows for certain will chime in.
  18. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fluorescents do fade as the chemical reaction converts UV to visible light, but Aerostich's Hi-Viz is not fluorescent, just a bright lime-yellow (that also fades).
  19. Limbow

Limbow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine's an early 2015 build. I think the problems were quite a while before then.
  20. Doug Just Doug

Oddometer:
    Found it: RCs and Dariens built in 2007-2008. I reported it on my own website, which I guess is why it was stuck in my brain. https://www.tiltedhorizons.com/search?q=aerostich+hi-viz
    Chickenstrip and Limbow like this.