Aerostich R3 - 1 week review

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Wayward Gypsy, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Wayward Gypsy

Wayward Gypsy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I picked up a one-piece Aerostich Roadcrafter R3 suit, and I'm blown away.

The quality of the material is top-notch and the ease of which to put the damn thing on is really fast. Also, the ability to have it custom made to your size requirements is awesome.

Yesterday, my commute home (50 miles) included a lot of rain. I was kept completely dry, even with the back-flap unzipped and the arm-pits.

I can't talk highly enough about it. The only drawbacks that come to mind are that it is (1) cost prohibitive ($1200+), and (2) it takes 5-6 weeks to have made and shipped.
    Rick G, EZMoney, RonKZ650 and 5 others like this.
  2. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Finally getting to wear mine regularly after having to send the first custom one back again due to fit issues.

Haven't worn it in the rain yet, despite some pretty good rain yesterday (needed to run errands and the cage was just more convenient).

Other than that, agree with everything you say. It's nice to just step into the thing and be fully geared up for the ride to work, then quickly remove everything and not have to change clothes once I'm at work. Or do what I had been doing, just wearing a jacket and no protection on the lower body.

It has gotten more humid here with the intermittent rain, but the temp is still below 80. Even so, with the pit vents and back vent open, and cuff zips open, I'm getting a lot of airflow through the suit to where I'm quite cool. Moving, that is.

The wait time to get the suit is entirely dependent on time of year. The first custom suit took three weeks to arrive, and that was over the holidays. The next one was put into production mid February, and that took 4 weeks. During the Summer, peak riding season, it's going to be 5-6 weeks or longer. So best time is to order in November/December/January.
  3. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, a post rain ride update.

First ride in the rain today, only 15 minutes or so. I would call this a moderate rain. Not a light sprinkle, not a frog strangler. Just the typical rain that most rain gear can keep out.

I was dry everywhere except for my crotch. It was SOAKED. After only 15 minutes. Only moderate rain.

I checked to make sure all the rain flaps and gutters were in the right place, they were.

This does not make me happy. Not sure how the water is getting in.

I reaaally don't want to have to send the suit back in. Ordered it in December and after back and forth I've only gotten to put a few hundred miles on it.
  4. Macho Man2

Macho Man2 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I f you don't have the over flap that covers the zipper properly sealed without any sticking up the water will pool at your lap and cause the wet crotch! The only time I get any leakage is maybe around the collar where it drains off my helmet and that's only in frog chokers. If you flap was sealed and you got wet I would be calling Aerostich pronto.
  5. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just talked to them. They also asked about the zipper, whether it was folded sharply in the area. It is, but I don't think there's anything I can do about that, it's just the extra room in the torso that causes it. I also mentioned that the front flap velcro didn't really line up well with the velcro on the body of the suit, but I didn't think that would have really caused this amount of leakage since the flap still lies fairly flat.

I noticed that on the top inside corner of the right hip pocket there is a stitch or two at the end that isn't covered by the seam tape. That means a needle hole just to the right of the main zipper area in my lap. I didn't see any trace of water around that area, it was mostly to the left leg side of the main zipper, but that might be an issue eventually.

I think it's the sharp fold in the zipper at the crotch. They told me to make sure if there is a fold, that it's more like a shingle than a bucket to collect water. I don't know how well I'll be able to accomplish that, but I'll try it next time. I wouldn't have thought that much water could have pooled there in only 15 minutes, but I'll definitely check for that. It's still raining so maybe I'll get another chance on the ride home from work.
  6. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, I decided to send my R3 back to Aerostich to have them look it over and see if they could figure out why the water was getting into the suit so fast. I had the opportunity to ride from my house in some pretty good rain, not a biblical storm or anything, but not "light rain". Before I rolled out, I made sure all the folds and everything in the crotch/abdomen area looked right, like they wouldn't gather water, made sure everything was zipped up and velcro'd up correctly, and set out. Both times, I felt water leaking in on my crotch within 2-3 minutes. That's not an "eventually it gets through" scenario, there's some direct path for water to get in. I couldn't figure out where, so it went back.

We'll see what they come up with, if anything. Other than soggy balls (well, ball, it was mostly the left side of the zipper), the rest of me was dry.
    Gondul likes this.
  7. RG1984

RG1984 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, please update when you hear back.
    Quickly though, have you owned the suit for a long while or is it new?
  8. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just to be clear, the internal flap of material "
    Without a manufacturing defect the suit shouldn't leak.
    The first step is to insure the "rain gutter" is located properly. This is the flap of material shown below:
    Inked520_1o_LI.jpg

This runs from the collar to your boot and needs to lay flat extending beyond the zipper to the left side (if your wearing it) of the suit. It is easy for this to get folded back to the right, under the zipper, if you don't pay attention and then the suit will leak.

The second step is to minimize water pooling in your lap as you ride. With some bikes and seating positions this is easier sad than done. But try to adjust the suit as best you can and it should be manageable.
  9. Hammerdown77

Hammerdown77 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, yep, checked all of that very carefully before leaving out. Literally, I made sure that flap was lying flat under the zipper while sitting on the idling motorcycle before rolling out of the garage into the rain. Within a half mile, I had water dripping on my crotch. I don't see how water was getting past that internal storm flap, quite honestly. Not that fast at least. In fact, I put a strip of paper towel in the trough of that flap once just to see if it was wet, and it wasn't.

Based on the wet location being very close to the left side pass-thru (for heated gear cords), I wondered if water was coming in through there somehow. I couldn't see how, though.

And to answer the other question, my suit is basically new. Manufactured end of March of this year.

They've already inspected the suit and it's going into repair. They listed the water leak as a repair item, but didn't say what was causing it. The other items, a missed stitch with the seam tape on a pocket, and the front flap velcro not lining up well from the waist up, are both items I listed myself for them to look at, and they said they'd repair those as well.

Should get the suit back in a week or two.
    EZMoney and sprouty115 like this.
  10. sprouty115

sprouty115 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    They found something, that's actually good news. Once you get it back I'm betting you'll be good to go.
  11. Wayward Gypsy

Wayward Gypsy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    4 month update:

The suit is just as good as ever. No issues with water or anything else. I was worried about using it during the hot and humid summer but it’s not that bad when moving and the vents open. I really love this one piece.
    DYNOBOB and RG1984 like this.