Aerostich Roadcrafter Armor Pockets

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ghostv, Oct 31, 2019.

1. ghostv

ghostv 2000 1150GS

Oddometer:
    I have been Roadcrafter curious for a long time and have kept my eye open for a used example that wouldn't break the bank. I got pretty lucky and found a pretty good example. They say that there are no dumb questions, but I am going to push the barriers of that right now: Inserting the the armor entails rolling up each side of the memory foam pad and inserting into the pocket - OK no problem. The issue is that, particularly with the knees, the pocket opening is on the bottom and the armor is slid up into it. When I put the suit on, the knee armor wants to slide out due to gravity.
    Am I missing something or are there tricks to keep the armor in place? Also, does the suit stretch a little when used over time. Mine is old but was washed prior to shipping to me. It is a little snug in places - oddly in the quad area and the middle - if it stretches just a bit it should be OK. Feels pretty good when riding - slippery though.
  2. jdub

jdub Dawg bytes reel gud Supporter

Oddometer:
    This thread might get moved to Equipment, but here goes.

As shown in the pics below there are two inner pocket covers for the knee armor. You pull the bottom of the upper cover up until you can grab the top of the lower cover and pull it down. Insert the armor into the exposed cavity and wiggle it into position.

Once closed the covers will fully capture the armor.

EDIT: In answer to your other question, I don't believe the suit will really stretch at all. I bought my current one-piece Roadcrafter new in 2003 and am quite sure it's the same size now as it was then.

20191031_134122.jpg 20191031_134056.jpg
  3. ghostv

ghostv 2000 1150GS

Oddometer:
    I can adjust the valves on the bike but can't put the armor in my new used (very) suit. Thanks
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  4. markherman

markherman Louisianaman Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you contacted Aerostich? The pockets may have been sewn in upside down.
  5. ghostv

ghostv 2000 1150GS

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Jdub showed me the light. We got it now.
    jdub likes this.
  6. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Following my front fender

Oddometer:
    As for fit that’s why they make 3548 different sizes and even those can be customized extensively. Like you, I wanted to try a used one to decide if I would like the concept. Turns out I love it! Mine was purchased from the flea market here 3 years ago and has got to be the oldest and ugliest suit in existence but it still works great and I haven’t bothered to buy a new one. The fitting chart is pretty close, but I find their recommendations to be a little on the tight side. I’m tall and skinny and my 40L is a little snug across the shoulders, armpits, and the sleeves are too short for me. At least I know what changes to make when I finally pony up for a custom one.