Africa Race 2008 - The Preparation Story

Discussion in 'Racing' started by schattat, Oct 27, 2008.

1. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, it was more of a design issue...

Sure we could've just left them running permanently, but there's a safety concern involved.
    The blinking of the lights is more likely to grab the attention of other competitors (more for the fast cars and the massive trucks).
  2. gagnaou

gagnaou Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is pretty cool!!!

Thanks for sharing with us!

Luc
  3. Fronnzy

Fronnzy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Super cool.
  4. Carlos M

Carlos M www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer:
    Interesting thread :clap

Thanks for sharing!

[​IMG]

This looks veeeeeery nice (simple)!!!. Does it support incrementing/decrementing the trip odometer???

I've been playing with the idea of building my own ICO but starting with a ready made counter like this one:

[​IMG]

I would need to create a sort of aux oscillator to increment/decrement, something like this:

[​IMG]

But my electronic knowledge is really limited :D a 555 is high-tech to me :D

Also, your solution to hold the front support bracket is really great! Thanks again for sharing!
  5. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Carlos,

I'm glad you like it.
    Of course it supports incrementing AND decrementing of the trip. It basically is an exact replica of the original ICO, if not better :evil.

Your 'circuit diagram' shows the basics of the entire system (1 wheel revolution --> add wheel circumference to trip). That's the whole mystery behind the ICO. For speed, it's almost the exact same thing (v=d/t --> Just measure the time for one entire revolution).

Our tripmaster is made of a 4x 7-Segment LCD with an LED backlight, which is all controlled with just 1 ┬ÁProcessor. Not sure whether you're gonna have perfect/exact results from an external timer and all. Too many parts is always going to mean more sources for something the break or go wrong... Best would be to get everything in one piece, a ┬ÁProcessor! Can run on either 3x 1,5V batteries or the 12V supply on the bike, which also runs the LED backlight.

If you need any help whatsoever, don't hesitate to ask me. I'd be more than glad to help you out!

My dad and I've been thinking of building together some of theses ICOs and selling them, but the strict rules here in Germany make it a real P.I.T.A. Basically everybody that builds and sells electronic devices has to pay an annual fee for some "electronic waste" thing. The thing is that this fee is far too much for an average Joe to pay (goes in to several hundred Euros). Big companies like Siemens or so pay the exact same amount as the average guy, who sells a lot less than the big guys.
    I think that selling the entire device as an assembly kit would be do-able, so if anybody's interested, get in touch with me!
    Jona Dr RAIDer likes this.
  6. nfranco

nfranco over macho grande?

Oddometer:
    Hi Tony, would a compass repeater that works with a Garmin be something easy that you would be willing to make? As a kit would be fine.
    Thanks, nick
  7. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sure, why not???

I'd just have to know how the Garmin (BTW, what model is it) operates and how it sends its data output. If you've got any kind of information regarding the mentioned info needed, then please pass them on to me, so I've got something to work with!
  8. PPiA

PPiA Pete

Oddometer:
    In the dust I think they're great.
    It was on the transport sections that they pissed me off. It only seemed to be Yamahas that were using them.
  9. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    Man, that 555 is 30 years old. Are you using an 8080 for a processor too? :rofl

NMEA format:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NMEA_0183
    http://www.gpsinformation.org/dale/nmea.htm
  10. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, the ones which are deliverd with the really expensive Yamaha Motor France kits are made to blink. Can't be changed to a permanent glow though...

Which ones of the NMEA strings do the Garmin's send?

Just to let you guys know, for the COG Repeater you don't even need an external GPS!
    We've made it run of a separate external GPS antenna, since we weren't able to get a hold of the ERTF GPS to connect to and adjust the software according to their device.

How many here would actually be interested in maybe purchasing, for a minimal price of course :lol3, a DIY Kit for an ICO or a COG Repeater??

We might be able to start something here!
  11. BAZZER450

BAZZER450 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    cog here !! inconjunction with garmin gps
  12. Flood

Flood F5lood.

Oddometer:
    How much would the ICO/tripmaster be?

Also, be prepared that you will be asked to start a new thread in "Vendors" if this is actually happening, so as not to distract from the racing content.

Cheers, and thanks for the pics!
  13. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey there,

could you please specify what Garmin model you'd want the COG Repeater for?

- Is this a model used by the majority of people in this forum/adventure riders?
    - Are there any major differences to similar Garmin devices?
    - Does it use the standard Garmin 4-Pin round connection?

Can't say anything regarding the prices, for now...
    The tripmaster is definately going to cost a lot less than the ICO Rallye VRL (retail price of roughly 300€ onwards!).

For the COG Repeaters, I can already say that there will be 3 different versions for sale.
    1. Standalone repeater, no external GPS device needed
    2. In connection with Garmin GPS's
    3. In connection with ERTF Rallye GPS's (Once I get my hands on one of them, to test the repeater on ;) )

The repeaters are going to cost more than the tripmasters, but not that much more (probably under 200€). Just to let you guys know, the RRP for a Touratech Repeater for a Garmin GPS is at over 600€!!!

I'm currently working on the circuit boards for the devices. Once I've got them done, I'll order a few of them and start a new thread under 'Vendors', where more detailed information will be available for both the tripmaster and repeater!
    There you'll be able to order a device or more. I guess that Paypal would be the best way to accept payments, or not?

The next major step is to find a suitable casing for the devices. A bit of a P.I.T.A since they're gonna have to be water and dustproof.

More info to follow soon!!
  14. ktmJOE

ktmJOE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would buy one for Garmin 276c.
  15. neduro

neduro Addict

Oddometer:
    :lurk

Nice work!
  16. nfranco

nfranco over macho grande?

Oddometer:
    Garmin 60CSx
  17. c.herman126

c.herman126 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :clap Great work gentlemen!

I'm loving this thread!

. . .and interested in your electronics :deal
  18. canadaler

canadaler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm just in the process of designing my nav mounting gear for the Tuareg...these pictures are a great help:clap...although I think my design will be a bit different "bolt on" arrangement.
  19. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Very cool thread, thanks for sharing. :clap

I am working on a very similar fairing (fiberglass off a KTM EXC Rally) and adapting it to my DR. That fairing mount is really nice! You don't happen to have any plans for the aluminum pieces, do you?

Are the lights by any chance the ones from Louis or Hein-Gericke? Mine look quite similar...

[​IMG]
  20. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can't help you on the aluminum plates (at the moment though)...
    They're the standard ones sold by MecaSystems in France.

I might be able to take the entire setup apart after the rally, at which point I'll be able to give you some accurate measurements!
    For the actual frame mount, all you need is a pipe made out of non-rusting material, which has the same diameter as you steering head. The cut it in half and weld on 2 thick metal pieces, which will later hold the aluminum plates, aswell as the rest of the instruments...

Yes the lights are exactly the same ones!
    They're so called elipsoid ones (referring to their lens). These can be bought through eBay or, as you mentioned, at Louis or Hein-Gericke. What I noticed was that your's are a xenon-ready kit. Normally they're sold with H1 bulbs.
    Is there a significant/noticeable difference in the xenons??

BTW: Wasn't the fairing in eBay a few months ago from EnduroBunker??