Africa Race 2008 - The Preparation Story

Discussion in 'Racing' started by schattat, Oct 27, 2008.

1. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    I did indeed buy the fairing from EnduroBunker! Guess it's a small world if you are looking for used rally parts. :eek1

The Xenon/HID kit is from VVME, a cheap (€65 or so shipped in total) Chinese brand that several people on Advrider have used on their bikes successfully. They offer Xenon bulbs in pretty much all versions, I got some H3s for the Louis lights and H1s for the stock KTM Adventure lenses. I want to compare them as some reflectors are better than others for Xenon conversions.

I would definitely recommend using a conversion kit in your lights. You get much more output (2-3x as much) but they only use 35Ws vs the normal 55Ws. Carry a spare H3 bulb if you are afraid of the problems, since you don't have to modify the socket it will still fit right in. Another option is HID50.com, they have 50W Xenon kits which are even brighter. The company has a very good reputation and uses better electronics than the cheap Chinese stuff. A bit more expensive of course.

Would be cool to get together once you return from the Rally, I'd love to take a look at the bike. Where in Germany do you live?

Schöne Grüße,
    Lukas
  2. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info!

My dad will return from the rally in mid-to-end January, at which point we'll both probably won't be riding our bikes due to the winter season...

We live about 30mins away from Frankfurt am Main.

We're both planning to do a tour on our bikes in the upcoming easter holidays to Tunisia. He on his WR450F, me on my XT125R.
    That'll pretty much be the beginning of the next riding season, and we'd love to get together with you, and maybe get a look at your KTM 690 Rallye!!

Bis bald,

3. AleThor

AleThor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really nice work !!! I am about to start changing the instrumentation mounting on my DR650. Where did you get the mounting for all the instruments ? Did you build it too?

Cheers !!!!!
  4. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    If your referring to the mount, which is screwed onto the frame , then yes!
    All you really need is to buy some sturdy metal pipe, which has the same diameter as your steering head, and cut it in half...

The aluminum mount used is a set from MecaSystems in France. Just 2 aluminum plates, a couple of long spacers, and the roadbook/tripmaster plate

5. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

New update for the race here...
    My dad's got race number 6 for the event.
    His 1st ever single digit race number :clap

There are roughly 35 (still unconfirmed) motorcycle entrants.
    Giovanni Sala and Johnny Campbell may also be under them!
  6. PPiA

PPiA Pete

Oddometer:
    Would it be a lot of work/cost to build a dedicated gps speedo?
    I would like a small gps unit that just displays my speed, and can run on batteries/12v. Batteries being the back up.
    Easy or...?
  7. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    If it's only for speed, then it shouldn' be a problem :D.
    It's only an issue if both course and speed are to be shown simultaneously.

I wouldn't recommend it to run on batteries, since a GPS receiver needs alot of current, thus reducing the runtime to only several minutes. It will definately have to run from your 12V source, leaving batteries as a very short backup!

I've started a small production of tripmasters and compass repeaters, which will be for sale here from the beginning of January. It won't be a problem at all to make a model showing the COG and another for speed!:clap
  8. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've decided to make the compass repeaters show BOTH speed (either KM/H, MPH or knots) and compass course (and maybe even UTC time, if wanted), but not at the same time. They'll have 1 button on the front of the case, allowing you to toggle between the 2 (or 3) modes!
  9. Flood

Flood F5lood.

Oddometer:
    That's probably a good idea; in a rally, you'd want the COG reading, corresponding to the roadbook notation. The speed is only needed where observed (villages). Also, there's the bike original speedo most of the time.

For everyday riding, you could switch to the (exact) speed reading.
  10. PPiA

PPiA Pete

Oddometer:
    Is that going to a standalone unit, or is it just a repeater from another gps?
  11. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can be used with both options.
    Either you hook it up to an external antenna, or a GPS (like Garmin), and it'll work!
  12. PPiA

PPiA Pete

Oddometer:
    Cool.
    If they're not going to cost an arm and a leg, I'll have one please :thumb
  13. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can be sure about them being cheap! Just check out the repeaters sold by Touratech. They only work with another GPS, and only show the course. What do they cost? ALMOST 700€!!

Mine will be under 200€... A reasonable price I'd say, since it'll have plenty of extra features!
  14. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Finally, the organisation has released to official route for the event :clap
    (Grey: Liason, Red: Special)
    [​IMG]

No news of the competitors list, yet... :cry
  15. grimmboy

grimmboy Chris Grimm

Oddometer:
    Alomost identical to the Heroes Legend routes this year, hum.......
  16. Carlos M

Carlos M www.motoxplorers.com

Oddometer:
    They will be entering Mauritania by the Guergarat border. Unlike the Dakar, the Africa Race won't be opening the wall between Western Sahara and Mauritania. Western Sahara will be done by the Atlantic Route, in one long day liaison...
  17. Ferrys

Ferrys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello Schattat,

I am new to the forum, and I do appologize for not introducing myself better.
    I have found your post very interesting. It is amazing what two people can achieve at home. I hope one day I become a SuperDad as yours :lol3 .

I would be interested in purchasing the tripmeter. Even more interesting in buying the kit and building it up myself.
    Please let me know when they are ready.

Good luck to your father !!!

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_8630967", true); </SCRIPT>
  18. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Ferrys,

Welcome aboard the forum!
    Where are you from? (maybe you could add this info to your account)

I've received my prototype PCB boards yesterday, and have started to test them by soldering the necessary components onto them. I'll post some pics when I'm at home later on today...

Just have to make some minor software/hardware adjustments, and I'll be able to order a couple more of the boards. I've decided to sell them as finished circuit boards (working, with all parts mounted), so without a casing, as it's a P.I.T.A. to find a proper water/dustproof solution for a casing. Also, since not everbody can solder simple electronic components, not to mention SMD parts.

This'll of course make the price for them alot less, and less hesitation for me to get them cased :clap
  19. Ferrys

Ferrys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Spanish, living in the Netherlands.
    Keep us posted about your progress.

By the way, even though the ASO has done everything possible to stop the African Race, Auriol is Auriol. :clap . They only thing they could stop was the initial stage in Marseille :rofl .
  20. napalmtec

napalmtec Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Lets home we see new Dakar with out this unprofessional car man people from ASO. I'm afraid this Dakar will be even bigger fiasco as 05 was as looks like they don't understand terrain and the place they have gone again. At the temperatures they have in January and altitude they have in mountains and daily distances it look like death row for metal and man. Let's hope the best for brave ones.