Africa Race 2008 - The Preparation Story

Discussion in 'Racing' started by schattat, Oct 27, 2008.

1. italrally

italrally Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Tony,

all of the above :)

I would like the roadbook plate to mout to the T-Bar in such a way that it is adjustable, have the roadbook plate from horizontal to vertical.

The 2 plates that attach to the frame should be separate plates, so you can use them on all kinds of different bikes...

Kinda like the mecasystems ones, for a lot less ofcourse :)

[​IMG]

Or adjustable like this:

[​IMG]

But this one is the one I like the most:

[​IMG]

It has the extra 'support' on the front, which is threaded so you can adjust the position of the roadbook plate and now it is held in 3 points basicly. Left and right on the T-Bar plus the threaded support on the front. That support should be able to go straight down too, to mount between the 2 plates.
  3. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    Don't count me :D

If anything that nice got onto my bike it'd die of shock!

If it doesn't have duct tape, hot glue and zip-ties it just doesn't feel right.
  4. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have to agree with you. This is probably the best option out there! :deal
    I'll be designing my setup like this one, except for the 2 verticle lights, as my fairing is made for 2 horizontal ones.
    What I like most about these plates is that you can mount extra parts, such as the Sentinel support or a fuse box (the pic above show some blinker relays in their positions)! :D

I'll do some designing this weekend and see what I can come up with.
  5. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    LOL!!! :rofl:rofl:rofl
  6. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a bit of spare time this evening, so I got some of that designing done :D

Left view:
    [​IMG]

Front-right view:
    [​IMG]

Cockpit view (don't mind the small mistake inside the roadbook :lol3):
    [​IMG]

I'm planning on taking part in the 2010 Abu Dhabi Desert Challenge along with my father this March, so I'll need to get my bike prepped with this stuff ASAP :evil
  7. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    your not bad with the old CAD.

Is this all for the steel framed wr or have you got a newer one?
    Are using hella projector lights or the oem ktm ones?
    Wheres my wiring diagram?
    Hows school?
  8. Cummo

Cummo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    With all your designs you may want to take into consideration that your road book is sitting far too upright, unless you are going to sit through the entire rally!

As you adjust the angle of ten the bar mounted GPS will foul the road book and ICO plate mounts......
  9. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Practice makes perfect...
    No alu frame bike, just the old steel one (why else would the frame in the pics be metallic blue? :evil).
    They're so called "ellipsoid" headlights (from the form of the lens). I believe the KTM 690RR bikes have these stock...
    PM'd you!
    Same shit, different day...:deal
    Who ever said I'd be standing at all? :wink:
    Yes, I know this is going to be a problem. My dad had this problem on his setup with the ERTF support just passing the lower instuments by mm's! The problem with the WR's is that you can adjust the steering angles like the KTMs are able to do (by adjust 2 screws for left and right angle adjustments). The WRs have one small stopper piece welded on the front of the steering head. See here:
    [​IMG]

Will have to fabricate a piece that goes around it to minimize the angle of the steeering!

I have added the ERTF support into my CAD drawings and hope to be able to prevent this problem on the new setup! :evil
  10. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Hey Tony,

As you know I am interested in a T-support (or 3 depending on the price :D), but I already have a roadbook mounting plate. If you can make it with slots like the Mecasystem part that would be great.

I am still working on my setup, as usual on a budget. Already have a home-made weld-on mount for the steering head, the banana shaped bracket from MS (do you need some measurements for reference?), and now I am working on a mount for the lights. The machined version like below would be nice but I don't have a mill, so I will probably just use some thick aluminum sheet.

[​IMG]
  11. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Lukas,
    Well up until now I have only ordered the RB mounting plates (3 pieces). I'm going to order the plates that attach to the frame in a few weeks time once I've entirely completed the designs.
    I wasn't planning on making an T-bars, but since my dad's one is a bit out of shape (slightly bent :eek1), I may have a few made, depending on the fabrication costs of course!
    Are you talking about the newer plates that leave the frame? If you could send me a pic and measurements, that'd really help with the designing process! :evil
    I suppose you'll be going for a verticle setup for the 2 lights? I'll be going for the horizontal setup, the way my fairing is designed. I'll be making a holder for the lights, too, so if you need one I can make another one for you!
  12. LukasM

LukasM Long timer

Oddometer:
    On a RTW ride - currently touring the U.S.
    Yeah, on the 650 twin project I want to use the 690RR fairing with vertical lights. But I still have the yellow one I showed you on this thread more than a year ago (shame on me! :evil) and the Louis lights which look very similar to the ones in your CAD drawing. If I end up buying a second DR I might use that for an adventure setup, so let me know what you come up with.

These are the MS brackets I have, they could be a good start for yours so you get the T in the right position relative to the steering stem. Send me a PM with your email.

[​IMG]
  13. challengerXT600

challengerXT600 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi guys ,do anybody have any idea about Yamaha Xt 600 topics ?
    I would like to see some XT 600 prepared for ADV.

I am new here and I couldn`t find any topics about it .
    Thank you very much !!

P.S. I found it guys ... hope to find something interesting there .
    All the best !
  14. rallye

rallye Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    is the race going ahead ?,there doesn't seem to be much news on the website,i.e rider list etc or car /truck lists.
  15. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    Which race?

The 2008 Africa?
  16. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are very slow when it comes to updates :puke1
    Last year the entry lists were only released a week before the start :eek1 My insider sources tell me that this year's event won't have a significant increase in bike participants...
  17. overlandr

overlandr Dystopist

Oddometer:
    Bump for a good thread with great photos. Thanks!
  18. silverstone

silverstone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some interesting info for 2013!

<TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #58290d 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #58290d 1px solid; MARGIN: 0px auto; BORDER-SPACING: 0; WIDTH: 590px; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; BACKGROUND: #e1ccb0; BORDER-TOP: #58290d 1px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #58290d 1px solid" id=madmimi_wrapper cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=590 align=center><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px"><TABLE style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; BORDER-SPACING: 0; WIDTH: 590px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif; BACKGROUND: none transparent scroll repeat 0% 0%; PADDING-TOP: 0px" id=madmimi_header cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=590 align=center><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px" id=madmimi_header_content>[​IMG] </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; BORDER-SPACING: 0; WIDTH: 590px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; FONT-FAMILY: Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif; BACKGROUND: none transparent scroll repeat 0% 0%; PADDING-TOP: 0px" id=madmimi_body cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=590 align=center><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 8px; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 18px; PADDING-RIGHT: 18px; PADDING-TOP: 8px" id=madmimi_body_content width=566><TABLE style="MARGIN: auto; BORDER-SPACING: 0; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" width=554><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; CLEAR: both; PADDING-TOP: 0px" width=554>MORE NEWS FOR THE SONANGOL AFRICA RACE!

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE style="MARGIN: auto; BORDER-SPACING: 0; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" width=554><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; CLEAR: both; PADDING-TOP: 0px" width=554>[​IMG] Photo@AER

With more good news arriving almost every day the 5th edition of the Sonangol Africa Race has been creating a lot of interest in the Cross Country Rally world as the dynamic organization team comes up with more ideas to make the experience as full as possible for teams in every category.

<TABLE style="MARGIN: auto; BORDER-SPACING: 0; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" width=554><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; CLEAR: both; PADDING-TOP: 0px" width=554>
    [​IMG]
    <TABLE style="MARGIN: auto; BORDER-SPACING: 0; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" width=554><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; CLEAR: both; PADDING-TOP: 0px" width=554>KTM at the Sonangol Africa Race

<TABLE style="MARGIN: auto; BORDER-SPACING: 0; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" width=554><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; CLEAR: both; PADDING-TOP: 0px" width=554>[​IMG] Photo@KTM

Last year KTM sent a representative to the Sonangol Africa Race because for the 2013 edition they plan on entering a team of "Movie Stars" covered by Austrian television following their training with Marc Coma and then their daily adventures on the way to Dakar. Heinz Kinigadner has just confirmed this and also that KTM will enter more pilots. KINI RALLY TEAM can also provide riders in spear parts, tires, engine, etc… It is already possible to contact KINI RALLY TEAM for any specific request.

<TABLE style="MARGIN: auto; BORDER-SPACING: 0; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" width=554><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; CLEAR: both; PADDING-TOP: 0px" width=554>Contact Isabell Kinigadner
    Phone : +43 5244 99 871
    Mail : isabell@kini.at

<TABLE style="MARGIN: auto; BORDER-SPACING: 0; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" width=554><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; CLEAR: both; PADDING-TOP: 0px" width=554>
    [​IMG]
    <TABLE style="MARGIN: auto; BORDER-SPACING: 0; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" width=554><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; CLEAR: both; PADDING-TOP: 0px" width=554>Emma CLAIR entering in Quad!

<TABLE style="MARGIN: auto; BORDER-SPACING: 0; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" width=554><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; CLEAR: both; PADDING-TOP: 0px" width=554>[​IMG] Photo@Emma Clair

The Sonangol Africa Race is happy to announce the participation of this charming quad rider. Who hasn't heard of Emma Clair? This young woman is the manager of NPO, organisers of the OILYBIA Rallies in Tunisia and Morocco. But some people don't know that she arrived in the discipline by crossing tracks at the handlebars of a Quad:

<TABLE style="MARGIN: auto; BORDER-SPACING: 0; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" width=554><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; CLEAR: both; PADDING-TOP: 0px" width=554>[​IMG] Photo@Emma Clair

"Since I was 5 years old I practised for cross-country racing on a motorbike as well as a quad and loved it! In 2006, I tried the Dakar on a Quad and it was an incredible experience. And it's also when I met the man of my life, Stéphane, who was participating in motorcycle. For a few years, I looked after all the competitors taking part in our rallies so I didn't have time to participate. But when our baby Léo was born, I gave myself the challenge to race again. I decided this year to try to be the first woman to arrive at the Lac Rose in Quad. But my biggest happiness is to cross the African tracks with my family and to experience this beautiful adventure with Stéphane and Tom, his 16 year old son who will drive in a car".

[​IMG]
    <TABLE style="MARGIN: auto; BORDER-SPACING: 0; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" width=554><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; CLEAR: both; PADDING-TOP: 0px" width=554>The "Trophy for Rigid Axles" vehicle continues

<TABLE style="MARGIN: auto; BORDER-SPACING: 0; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" width=554><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; CLEAR: both; PADDING-TOP: 0px" width=554>[​IMG] Photo@AER

For the last Sonangol Africa Race a special trophy for vehicles with two rigid axles was initiated which was won by Salim Kamoun in a Toyota GRJ 79. After this success the Trophy for 2 rigid axle vehicles will be continued for the 5th edition of the Sonangol Africa Race with a prize for the winners of this category.

[​IMG]
    <TABLE style="MARGIN: auto; BORDER-SPACING: 0; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" width=554><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; CLEAR: both; PADDING-TOP: 0px" width=554>Two months left to take advantage of preferential rates

<TABLE style="MARGIN: auto; BORDER-SPACING: 0; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" width=554><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; CLEAR: both; PADDING-TOP: 0px" width=554>Like every year the Sonangol Africa Race offers the competitors preferential rates. There is a 900 euro discount per person entering and between 250 and 700 euro per vehicle, depending on the category. But to take advantage of these advantageous entry rates it is imperative to send back the entry form and to pay 500 euro per person and per vehicle before July 31st, 2012. An opportunity not to be missed!

[​IMG]

CONTACTS
    ==========
    Déserts Aventures
    (Agent Général d'O.C.T)

• <LI style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; LIST-STYLE-TYPE: square; MARGIN: 0px 0px 0.7em 30px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FONT-FAMILY: Trebuchet MS; COLOR: #4b2309; FONT-SIZE: 13px; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; PADDING-TOP: 0px">Tel : + 33 (0) 4 93 75 24 55
    • Fax: + 33 (0) 4 67 28 02 64
    <TABLE style="MARGIN: auto; BORDER-SPACING: 0; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" width=554><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; CLEAR: both; PADDING-TOP: 0px" width=554>Véronique is at your disposal for any question or help for your entry
    E-mail: veronique.caire@africarace.com or GSM: +33 (0)6 70 22 68 44

• <LI style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; LIST-STYLE-TYPE: square; MARGIN: 0px 0px 0.7em 30px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FONT-FAMILY: Trebuchet MS; COLOR: #4b2309; FONT-SIZE: 13px; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; PADDING-TOP: 0px">Competitors: concurrents@africarace.com <LI style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; LIST-STYLE-TYPE: square; MARGIN: 0px 0px 0.7em 30px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FONT-FAMILY: Trebuchet MS; COLOR: #4b2309; FONT-SIZE: 13px; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; PADDING-TOP: 0px">Presse : presse@africarace.com
    • General information: info@africarace.com Website: www.africarace.com
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  19. Jona Dr RAIDer

Jona Dr RAIDer n00b

Oddometer: