Africa Twin 17, 18, or just wait until 20

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Astronutz, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Astronutz

Astronutz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey all, noob here.

I was able to spend some time riding a 2017 AT (manual) in Alaska this summer and had an absolute blast on the bike. Since then I have had a chance to test ride just about every ADV bike on the market. While there are a lot of great bikes out there, the AT still stands out as one of my favorites.

OK, now here's the deal. There seems to be a large number of new leftover non-dct 17's for sale at some really attractive prices ($8,999 us). I am curious however that there are little to no 18's or even 19's available. I do know there were several changes in 18 such as throttle by wire along with a host of other things, but is the bike that much better?

So the dilemma is a new 17 at a good price, or try and find an 18 or 19? Geez, maybe I should just wait for the new 2020 to hit the market?

It's good to have choices, but it sure is confusing as hell. Thanks!
    davyjones likes this.
  2. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:
    1290 s.a.r ktm buddy, much better, proper bike
    Migolito likes this.
  3. Astronutz

Astronutz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Agreed, KTM is a great bike but I'm not here to debate brands. Just looking for info on the Africa Twin. Thanks
  4. Lewilewi

Oddometer:
    I know buddy, I just could not resist promoting the orange
    Migolito likes this.
  5. Lewilewi

Oddometer:
    I nearly brought a a.t......I'm really glad I did not now
  6. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    I understand your interest in posting this question and it isn't the first time it has been asked but, without knowing what features are a priority to you it's impossible for anyone to give you good advice. Other than don't get in over your head financially. Look at what new features each model had and decide if you want those enough to pay a couple of grand more (from '17 - ' 18) or $6000-$7000 more (from '17 -' 20).
    hookeniggy and neanderthal like this.
  7. Astronutz

Astronutz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK...I simply wanted to know why there is so much leftover dealer stock on new 17's vs little to no stock on 18's or 19's.
  8. madrider5150

madrider5150 Riding somewhere

Oddometer:
    On the '17s there is the fork slider deterioration issue, a foot peg breakage issue... that's all I'm aware of
    I test rode a 19 atas at a touratech rally, loved it
  9. Lewilewi

Oddometer:

The complete build quality issue as seen full pictured on this forum

The pictures show un painted frames joins, weld that arnt sound, like a novice has found a welder and just tried to make a frame!
  10. kevinA

kevinA Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    look at the 2020 africa twin specs just released. Very compelling to get a Honda if you dont need the extreme hp. Al of the electronics and rider aids are there and possibly more than on current ktm. Customizable TC and rider modes ect. oh and apple play in the color dash
    dmason likes this.
  11. lithodave

lithodave brachy850 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lewi is ktm sales staff
  12. RoyQ

RoyQ Long timer

Oddometer:
    In every thread :eek7
  13. tmh

tmh It's A Wonderful Day For Pie

Oddometer:
    Total OPINION here, without as much knowledge as real AT owners or even those who have THOROUGHLY researched the AT through ADV and other outlets.

The re-released (2016+) AT has always interested me. But never quite enough to get serious and pull a trigger. I believe that Honda made too many '17's for the U.S. market. Bikes likely sold pretty well in their first year ('16), and cooled off in their second. Issues as having been stated on these forums also could have impacted sales. Then 2018 rolls around, and Honda makes some changes to the bike (ride-by-wire, ride modes, etc), and maybe fixed some of the initial issues? And they launch the Adventure Sports version. So those leftover '17's just got left further behind, unsold.

As of today the 2020 versions have been announced. Some may want what they have, and others will want an adventure bike with fewer complicated systems. But cruise control... m'mmm!

I think it will be VERY interesting to see what happens to the new and used AT market with Honda's announcement of today... Stay tuned.
    davyjones likes this.
  14. Nihon Newbie

Nihon Newbie Weirdo

Oddometer:
    Sent you a PM, but just buy a nice used 2016/2017, save yourself the hassle of having to kit it out, skip the dealer rip-off experience, and just ride the thing. The differences to the new current bikes and the upcoming model are minor. Save your cash for gas money and good riding gear
    MFS, sleepyOwl and neanderthal like this.
  15. dmason

dmason goofball

Oddometer:
    The KTM fanboys are worse than the Harley assholes, and that’s saying something.

I owned a ‘17 manual AT for two years and 12k miles. It did sections of Utah and Colorado BDR. Difficult sections. It did thousands of miles of highway touring and around town Sunday rides. It never gave me any problems. They are solid bikes despite what some (who have never even owned one) would have you believe.

I’m now back to BMW with a ‘17 R1200GS. Amazing machine and I’m very satisfied with it and happy with my choice.

If I were shopping for a new bike I’d be looking at BMWs and the ‘20 Africa Twin.
  16. dmason

dmason goofball

Oddometer:
    Also, cruise is control is such a game changer that I’d no longer even consider a 1,000cc bike without it.
    Migolito likes this.
  17. 97707

97707 Vulture capitalist

Oddometer:
    This thread here has a lot of information about the difference between the 2016/2017 model years versus the 2018/ 2019 model years. Features and updates.

Have a look at Kelly Bluebook prices on a used 2017 v 2018 to see what the resale numbers tell you. They are showing trade-in values of $6960 v $7230. That's only $270 difference. So if you were buying a used bike it would be worth it to pay that difference.

I expect the NOS difference will be bigger. It looks like Honda NA miscalculated and sent a huge overstock of '17s. With the 2020s coming out, they are dumping those. Which likely drives down the price for 2018 and 2019 models too.

So that looks like a buyer's market for ATs for the next several months. If you are inclined to wait for the 2020 model, you will have to ask yourself if its worth $6,000 dollars more . . . and if its gonna depreciate as fast as the previous models did.

I'd also want to know did they fix the suspension issues. Cuz if they didn't, you have to wonder if the upgrades and gizmos they added are worth the difference.

davyjones likes this.
  18. smalls78

smalls78 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m going 2020
    dmason likes this.
  19. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    You'd be nuts to buy an earlier model imho.

justinope likes this.
  20. smalls78

smalls78 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd hardly say cruise control, 6.5 gallon fuel capacity, lighter weight/more power, TFT display, Apple car play, and ergonomic changes are "minor"...
    deg10715, kevinA and dmason like this.