Africa Twin 17, 18, or just wait until 20

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Astronutz, Sep 23, 2019.

1. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    The Nomad aux tank fits the 18-19 AT.
  2. leeinmemphis

leeinmemphis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought a leftover 2017 today and couldn't be happier. I've had lots of m/c's over the years but this one is a keeper.

[​IMG]
  3. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    Congratulations on your new bike. You're gonna love it.

2nd best colorway too. :ksteve

*my last AT was that colorway. I fucken loved it. My current AT is black. Like my heart.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  4. smalls78

smalls78 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    LOLOLOL yes!
  5. screaminsal

screaminsal Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Spot on bother!
  6. Sundude901

Sundude901 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I hear ya dude! Looking for a leftover myself and I see you’re in Memphis...where did you pick yours up at?
  7. leeinmemphis

leeinmemphis Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

Abernathy's in Union City has the manual 17 models in stock. HMU if you want to ride sometime.
  8. madrivermaz

madrivermaz Old Fart

Oddometer:
    Buy a Honda. Mice love KTM wiring harnesses.
  9. ZenPuddleJumper

ZenPuddleJumper No more tickets, please.

Oddometer:
    I'm obsessing over the 2017 leftovers right now. 2 years ago I was ready to buy one but my wife somehow talked me into buying a beemer (which I also love). Now I'm trying to unload the R1200R so I can buy a '17 AT, which would be have been a much better fit for me I believe.
    smalls78 likes this.
  10. smalls78

Oddometer:
    I'm still obsessing as well. '18 vs waiting for new. I want the black color. Thinking the '18 would be ok if I can get MC cruise installed.
  11. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    How so? Having owned an AT for 2 years I'd say the only advantage of it would have is if you're riding trails (not just trundling down dirt roads, which the R can also do). The Beemer is a far better road bike with its much more powerful motor, tubeless wheels, cruise control, shaft drive, better brakes, better suspension for two-up and more advanced electronics (the AT's TC and ABS are pretty rudimentary).
  12. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    The dash sucks on the 18-, reflects like crazy. Look at this pic from the latest Cycle World review. Then there are all the other improvements, Honda basically solved all the issues on the previous gens. What you save in the purchase, you'll lose in resale as well.

EAXDMBO4WJZ746YAK222P25D7I.jpg
  13. smalls78

Oddometer:
    ...good point
  14. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just turn the abs off and it does the same thing.You guys really get into these electronic gadgets lol.I just want a 1 mile cell phone jammer. Now that would help safety.How the hell did I survive the last 40 plus years without these gadgets.
  15. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This bike can use suspension work to be nice.Buy a earlier model and upgrade the suspension with the savings and and will ride better than 2020.Only really needed if you go off highway. Back end sags pretty bad stock when you get over 200 lbs and over 30mph is scary on gravel.Bike wanders a lot.I guess it depends if you like all the gizmos that most never really use much riding.A new bike will depreciate a lot also. The market is soon to be flooded with adv bikes as they seem to be the new hardly davidson.
  16. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am thinking about this and I guess it is if you like all the gadgets.I have said this before but if you close your eyes and road a 16 compared to a 2020 you most likely would not feel much difference (Don't do that or you may die lol).To me riding a bike is very personal and I like to have control over it.I think dct is cool but not my bag until my left hand and foot do not work.I was pretty disappointed when I got this bike.I use it a lot offroad and being a racer the suspension was terrible. Damn thing would launch me(and the wifey) off the pegs in whoops.It actually has near the worst suspension I have had(I am used to custom suspension).For road riding the super soft suspension was ok but push on it and it sucks. The crazy divey front end freaked me out.The new bike has a few cool electronic gizmos added but pretty much the same bike.Cruise would be cool and might put it on(about 1000$ lol) But it is only a bike and not your last meal I hope. I could just buy a new tricked out bmw cash if I wanted but my old(lol)16 AT rocks my world just fine.If you buy new and do not keep the bike more than 2 years plan on getting raped on trade in.It is a hot market world wide and this bike is already getting old in the tooth.
  17. ZenPuddleJumper

Oddometer:
    Well, the beemer has been about 80% perfect for my needs, but I'm looking to fill in a few missing pieces. The suspension is pretty awesome, except on the crappy roads on my commute that always seem to be torn up for some sort of construction. The power is awesome. In fact, it's more than I need and I frequently have to remind myself not to ride like a lunatic. I do sit a bit lower than is optimal for me. My best fitting bikes have been the GS and the Wee-strom. I love sitting up higher, and letting my old legs stretch out a bit more. I am very comfortable standing on the pegs, which I used to do all the time on my other bikes, but it doesn't quite feel right on the R12R, which is closer to being a sport bike. I'm hunched over to hold the bars when I stand up. Yes, the beemer has tons of fantastic electronic wizardry including cruise. I really appreciated that on the one long ride I did about 2 years ago. But reality is that I do very little riding these days beyond commuting. Do I need off road ability? Not really. But I do love the way this type of bike handles "bad" road surfaces, which are abundant in my area. So why didn't I buy another GS, you might ask? Well, I almost bought an 800GS but I wasn't thrilled with the motor. Beemers are very pricey and I couldnt swallow the new GS price tag, so I found a bargain in a leftover 2016 R12R. I almost never use the heated grips, ESA, or any of the crazy long list of advanced features on this bike. I would have to go back and read the manual again. So I guess what I'm looking for is something in between a GS and the wee-strom. I'm looking for that sweet spot for both my riding needs and my wallet. Oh, and there is a Honda dealer really close to my house. I have a soft spot for Hondas and have owned more of them than probably any other brand over the 30+ years I've been in the saddle. How about that for a boring rationale?
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  18. ZenPuddleJumper

Oddometer:
    I would also like to add that I am eagerly lusting for the DCT. It took a few years of contemplation for me to come around to accepting auto tranny on a bike, but I am so done with clutch work in 1st gear in stop and go traffic. My commute takes me on the DC beltway all too often. This whole area is so crowded and getting worse. Traffic is a big factor in my desire for the DCT.
    Bad roads + crawling traffic + need to see over large SUVs. I also occasionally need to split lanes so narrower is better. Not that the AT is all that narrow...
    neanderthal likes this.
  19. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you have a realistic look at your riding. The dct would be awesome in your type of riding.It is nice having the additional travel for bad roads.northern Michigan is pretty much all bad roads and I love having the extra travel.
  20. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Funny post and I fully agree.AT is my 1st watercooled and efi street bike.Never had any of this crap before and honestly does not add much to my enjoyment. The antilock is pretty cool but never had a issue before. It is a who has the coolest toys market now and the manufacturers need to keep the yuppies happy.At least the T7 is for riders but they will most likely bomb that bike in coming years with trivial shit just like honda is doing to AT now.