Africa Twin 17, 18, or just wait until 20

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Astronutz, Sep 23, 2019.

1. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    Always the same when a new model year gets released, current owners try to justify why there bike is better than the new one. The fact that you don't need 3rd party accessories for a number of features on the new model justifies it as being 'better', together with features such as tft displays and some more power but more importantly for the road, torque. It's a better, more integrated package, same as all new releases which will make the model years before take a further hit on their second hand value and no matter what third party accessories the second hand bikes have, they add zero to the value.
    sirvelo, smalls78, Fleid and 2 others like this.
  2. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    The IMU is a big step forward, it should greatly improve the ABS and TC, as well as the DCT since it can now take lean angle into consideration when deciding shift points. The bigger motor combined with less weight will beef up the performance. Even if you don't need Apple Play, the TFT screen is way easier on the eyes than the glare-prone 18- dash. Genuine tubeless spoke wheels eliminates the need for a tape-based DIY solution, and so on....

Of course if I were in your shoes, I'd also be happy with what I had.
    sirvelo likes this.
  3. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do not justify it.I simply do not need or want the bells and whistles. It is a motorcycle and not my moto van where I love those bells and whistles(and the built in tv to watch at night).I really like riding motorcycles and not a play station 4.My favorite bike is my trials bike as it forces me to stand up and keeps me in killer shape.I get a kick out of people thinking this shit is better but I guess it makes up for lack of any skill in there minds.In the last 30 years i have been hit in the side by 3 deer running out of the woods and 1 heroin addict that ran a red light(2015).The addict or the deer would really care less about any gadgets and I still would get hit as all 4 came in from the side.I think you will be shocked next year when you see how many people downgrade to bikes like the T7.Gadgets and religion are a great security blanket for the masses.Niether take skill or help much when the shit comes down.Thinking maby moving out of upper Michigan would help the deer problem but then I have to deal with more stupid cell phone people and addicts.
  4. twinrider

Oddometer:
    But with the new imu you might not lose drag races! ;-)
  5. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Screenshot_2019-05-21-01-08-45.png
    If I want to win drag races I would buy a fast bike.I like my dirt racing as it takes skill not money. I dragged for many years on bikes and it cost me a lot of money.Not a huge skill but was a rush.Pick is from 1982 when I started in competition and have never stopped(Bored out mick's and burning alcohol with spitfire cams and 850 trock kit).That bike is on the cover of Triumph speed tuning (old school high performance book).Will that imo shut off my traction control because it knows I am doing a illegal drag.I still passed that little bastard at around 80 on AT lol.
    Amphib and playinatwork like this.
  6. twinrider

Oddometer:
    I lost a drag race to a 250 scooter due to the crap TC. Still suffering ptsd flashbacks from that. :yikes
  7. CanineCombatives

CanineCombatives the sound of inevitability

Oddometer:
    I'm waiting for the 20, but still dont know how I'm going to tune it with full exhaust etc.
  8. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you buy a T7 or in fact any other mass produced bike you are one of the 'masses' no matter how different you think you are. Many think they are unique and not part of the 'masses' but that's simply a fallacy.
  9. MillennialFalcon

MillennialFalcon Improvement starts with self

Oddometer:
    Have you been following the fork issues? They're real, it's not just owners posting about them, suspension shops have brought legitimacy to the issue. Do you know if the forks have been fixed for 2020? No, you don't. New model buyers are going to feel really, really foolish spending that much more on a fully-loaded 2020 if their smart phone can connect to it but their forks are the same shit from 2016 which are the same forks from a 1989 CR250. Let's just hope whatever made it into the ATAS tubes is present in all 2020 models though still not even clear ATAS tubes are a true solution when there isn't even 100% agreement on the problem - which is not to disprove the existence of the problem, it's definitely real.
    zgfiredude likes this.
  10. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    When people have an issue they will post on a forum, when they don't, they won't. Most have never had an issue and those that might have done have a warranty to use. As I said, many existing owners always talk down a new model in the thinking that it will help the residual values of their own, older bikes. It never works that way, the previous models fall again in value when the new model is released, guaranteed, whether you like that, admit it or not.
  11. MillennialFalcon

Oddometer:
    I have no dog in the particular fight you are focused on - nothing to admit here lol. But to think that gossip on a forum is going to have any effect on resale value is pretty far-fetched. Someone call the gov, we need this speculative investment kabal broken up!

I'm just hoping to bring more attention to the fork issue that seems quite possibly unresolved for MY 2020. The vast majority of AT fork issues have not had warranty coverage, a few folks in Canada is all, the rest left to our own devices. Most have never looked for the symptom, are probably not tuned in enough to notice it if it's not terrible, and not looking in their forks whatsoever. The average bike is lucky to have fork oil changed every 5 years - by someone other than the owner, more often than not. This will all be mirrored for 2020 if there is a fork issue. No one is anticipating the problem to be worse, no exploding forks. But will we see more posts on fork-gate for MY 2020, severe stiction problems continue to second gen AT? I hope not but I am not optimistic. And as I said earlier, it's going to upsetting for all if we have people posting about how great all their new AT features are but oh yeah the forks, a fundamental component, are shit. If they do, don't anticipate Honda will warranty any of it - as the same treatment previous MY owners got.
    Quercus petraea likes this.
  12. Ron Earp

Ron Earp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a 2017 AT DCT in Utah/Moab this past May. I loved it. Really enjoyable. My complaints centered around traveling distances on it (although I did do that, at over 100mph) and a few niceties that I have on my 2015 SuperT ES.

But now Honda seems to have fixed all my complaints: no cruise, small windshield, small fuel capacity, no heated grips, etc. and about the only thing I'm left to complain about is a chain. And, I think I can get over the chain, I think. Maybe.

So now I'm considering switching up to a 2020 AT DCT over my 2015 SuperT ES. I love my SuperT, but hey, life is short and the AT is a cool bike.
    dceggert likes this.
  13. CanineCombatives

CanineCombatives the sound of inevitability

Oddometer:
    As I did on my 1290R I'll send the suspension off to Konflict right away so whatever ongoing saga the forks have is moot.
    smalls78 likes this.
  14. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do not think I am special and when I die will be forgotten quick.I am 1 of the masses that had my forks replaced at 7200 miles by honda.I even posted pics of the work orders in the suspension thread to prove it.And I am one of the people in this mass that really do not care for electronic gadgets.To each there own but I guess I am a bit of a luddite lol.Also sorry if I came off nasty as I had a real bad day and should have stayed off this forum the night I posted my last response to you.
  15. MillennialFalcon

Oddometer:
    Another issue I'd want to know is fixed for 2020:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/crf1...el-at-low-speeds.1259111/page-4#post-38566992

For what it's worth, I have only had two problems with my 2016 manual AT: crap forks (stiction, wear, bouncing front wheel) and a transmission sometimes picky about upshifts into 5th and 6th (mostly solved by adjusting shift lever and just paying more attention). So I'm far from someone whining about some of the more simple problems that plague the AT problems thread. My issues were and still are affecting the bike as it rides down the road. I'm gonna laugh when 2020 riders start posting about this same stuff - that's my level of optimism and the reputation Honda has bought with me based on how they handled me as a customer.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  16. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If he moved to Michigan he would not have to worry about smooth pavement.
  17. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice 2019 DL650XT Touring

Oddometer:
    Greetings,

Where is the new CRF1100L Thread?

I figured there would be about five by now.

Thanks
  18. MillennialFalcon

Oddometer:
  19. smalls78

smalls78 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You're in it man....
  20. The_Precious_Juice

The_Precious_Juice 2019 DL650XT Touring

Oddometer: