Africa Twin 17, 18, or just wait until 20

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Astronutz, Sep 23, 2019.

1. smalls78

smalls78 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  2. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's the new harley. Add some cc,s and electronics.
  3. bozo92

bozo92 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    2 new issues during a long trip from Paris to Shiraz: side stand folded...and DCT gearbox blocked 5 times in 2 days :devildog. Bike finished on a lorry and me on a manual AT. Bike not yet back in France... For the fun I called my dealer in Paris: he suggested wisely: "can you go to a dealer with the proper technical equipment"....:loco Yes it's only 2500 km away....:rofl
  4. bozo92

bozo92 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sorry, wrong place.....
  5. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You ride the current AT which is a thoroughly modern bike - not sure where you draw the line between useless sack on a bike that's riding itself, and a fully gristled man man just stayin alive and using his own teeth to hold the beast together.
  6. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just don't like to much electronic crap on a bike.The shit always ends up in a expensive repair bill.I like electronic ignition and other electronics that serve a function to make the bike run correctly. The traction control in this bike cost me money twice now(pealed off the pick up twice now).2 friends with dct wheelers are looking at very expensive repair bill's because the damn things quit shifting.Watched a new dct goldwing with dct get towed this summer and he was 700 miles from home.Not sure were to draw the line but adding more electronic stuff that is really not needed seems silly.Different strokes for different folks.
  7. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD | 2016 CRF1000LD | Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you're ok with electronic ignition, you should be ok with any other electronic rider aids.
    One or two reports of failure (without details) should really not affect anyone's decision making.
    Just my opinion, of course, but this Honda we're talking about (not KTM, BMW etc.)
    I am surprised there isn't more talk about the MSC (Motorcycle Stability Control) coming in 2020.
    This IMU will impact more than any other 'rider aid' ever did.
    It seems it will be there "controlling" the bike even if you choose to stick to the manual transmission.
    So, if you're in the camp that riding is better with everything turned off, how are you going to deal with the everpresent IMU
    interfering?
    sirvelo likes this.
  8. MillennialFalcon

MillennialFalcon Improvement starts with self

Oddometer:
    Categorically, Jeff was was speaking of the anecdotes he was personally aware of. I'd characterize "reports of failure" as what we read online here, for instance who could forget twinrider's posts about his DCT failing him, didn't it leave him stranded - bike completely locked up? Add up all the personal anecdotes and then reports we've read online, there's more than just a few people with random electric issues. It's not far-fetched to suggest many ADVRiders wouldn't want DCT on a bike they're doing longer trips with into remote terrain.

Avoiding IMU? Simple, don't buy a new bike for the next few years. Honda made that an easy decision for me with my overall AT ownership experience. Thank goodness for my sanity the bike is an absolutely dream to ride. If I buy anything new any time soon, it'll be a dirt bike. The day they put IMUs in dirt bike's, I'll be flying rockets to get groceries.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.
  9. DCTFAN

DCTFAN 2019 CRF1000LD | 2016 CRF1000LD | Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ktm and BMW had started using IMU on their models, if I'm not mistaken.
    They seem as "happy" with it as anyone even without DCT.
    I am merely pointing out a major change to the beloved AT that's not being discussed even when the subject of (U)necessary rider aids are talked about.
    Time will tell, until 2020 AT owners put out their findings.
    As a DCT owner, the IMU integration is intriguing, to say the least; it may unlock my wallet even :)
    sirvelo likes this.
  10. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    He is making sure nobody ever forgets.
    neanderthal and MillennialFalcon like this.
  11. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Simple,I don't buy bikes with such features.
  12. smalls78

smalls78 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Went to one of the dealers here in Charlotte today to look around. They had 1 Africa Twin left, a 2018 DCT model. He said they are not able to get anymore 2019 models.

Side note: for some reason he said they were given a brand new 2016 Goldwing to sell, stating a few dealers around are also reporting they received the same in their inventory. Interesting.