Africa Twin: 2017 AT vs 2018 ATAS

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by PapaToe, Oct 21, 2019.

1. PapaToe

PapaToe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey AT owners,

I'm leaning towards purchasing a new AT this fall. We still have some standard AT 2017 models for sale in my area, for a great price (less than 9k). We also have some 2018 Demo models (~1000 miles with the dealer selling them 'as new') available for 11.5k.

If you were me, looking for a 1-bike solution for both the occasional long adventure trips, day trips to the national forest, and in-town commuting...which bike would you choose? I see the '17 models have issues with fork wear, and it sounds like the '18 models have solved that. Also, considering the other upgrades for the '18 rebuild am wondering if it's not worth the extra few grand.

Much appreciate any insights! :clap
  2. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    18 same forks on standard.Not fixed just newer.Mainy don't want to admit the problem but even the forks on the newest(even the adventure model)are old school late 80,s design that sucked back then.They are better than many of the other bikes that use even older designs lol.I really like my AT but forks sorta suck when I beat on the bike in the rough.For road riding and gravel roads just fine but push them and they get sort of harsh because of old school mini valves(they lack flow).My tubes are ceramic coated with custom revalving on gold valves and are just decent when I push them hard.I would buy the cheaper one as pretty much same bike.Use the extra money saved to put the stiffer adventure tubes on when the flexy standard forks wear out.Still got mini valves but at least they will last way longer with less noodle in the front.Except for the forks been a great bike.
    PapaToe likes this.
  3. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just reread your post.For that type of riding they would be fine with any year.Suspention would work fine but do recommend a oil change on forks at 2 to 3k to get the typical fork break in junk out.
    PapaToe likes this.
  4. dpike

dpike BeeKeeper Supporter

Oddometer:
    i'm stuck in the same place so i do nothing. if an amazingly good deal pops up on something then i'll make a move, other than that i'll wait to see what happens in the spring with the '20 model released, there should be quite a few well farkled bikes come up for sale.
    PapaToe likes this.
  5. PapaToe

PapaToe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, tough market to figure out right now. I started down the KTM 790 path, but price and reports of rear shock failure brought me back to the AT. Then there’s the F800 GSA and even the 1090R to consider. If you can wait til next Aug/Sept the Yamaha T700 looks pretty great, but I won’t be able to wait that long.

The ‘17 standard AT for $9k seems hard to beat. Just got an email from the dealer that says there are now additional incentives available...sounded like a manufacturer rebate. May go that route, ride it for a year and then trade it in if it’s not ticking the boxes.
  6. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seen some good deals on the sales forum here.