Africa Twin ADV Sports vs KTM 1090

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by MTingle, Sep 17, 2019.

1. microtom

microtom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you ride off road aggressively, including single track, get the KTM. If you are a street rider who will hit dirt back roads any bike will do.
    neanderthal and twinrider like this.
  2. gve.mcmlxxiv

gve.mcmlxxiv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I re read OP post. I think he should get the KTM. The AT will just feel like an off road tire version of the Versys. Changing bikes should be a new experience. Go for the mind bending power, not the repairability. They are both good which is why the decision is not clear cut and is aggravating.

I got 2016 DCT #272 off the line so I’ve been riding it for a while have had no problems other than suspension which I fixed easily but I came up from a KLX250, so for me it was a world of change. It has been a gas! That’s what a new motorcycle should be. A versus owner wouldn’t experience the same thing, maybe the opposite.
    davyjones likes this.
  3. gve.mcmlxxiv

Oddometer:
    +1 on this experience
  4. Mr.Black999

Mr.Black999 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As a person who went from a Versys 650 to an ATAS they do not feel the same at all, also the KTM doesn't make more power than the Honda till after 6000 rpm and the Honda pulls from 2000 rpm with ease. I personally would get the KTM 790 over the 1090 and it was my top choice but I ended up going with the Honda for a multitude of little reasons.
    davyjones likes this.
  5. RockHard_RideFree

RockHard_RideFree Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've never ridden the AT so I can't comment on that bike but I have a 1090r and I've done 600+ mile days on the highway, the MABDR, tight Rocky trails, long two up trips, you name it and it takes everything in stride. I have no issue with the on-road comfort at all, I find it a great road bike. My only complaint is the heat, which is pretty awful especially if you're not wearing tall boots, but the bike is so good I'll deal with it.

Again, no experience with the AT but I wouldn't trade my 1090 for anything (except maybe a 790r). I have a 2017 and haven't had a single issue with anything except the fuel gauge.
    davyjones and gve.mcmlxxiv like this.
  6. DirtyThought

DirtyThought n00b

Oddometer:
    I bought a 2018 Africa Twin Adventure Sport 30th anniversary edition. Simply awesome! Long range. Slow-speed handling is incredible. Multiple drive modes. DCT is definitely the way to go. Plenty of power. Heated grips standard. Can't go wrong with the Twin. It's luggage system does not require a rack. Love it!
    davyjones likes this.
  7. motosickle2000

motosickle2000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The KTM weighs 535 lb. It would not be my choice for riding single track aggressively. Let's face it - it is a pig just like the ATAS. That being said, I would rather have the ATAS because of the DCT transmission. It is much easier to ride off-road and on-road. If the ATAS was not available with the DCT, it would be a harder choice.
    davyjones likes this.
  8. mb300

mb300 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you're not going to go off road, why buy an adventure bike?

An ADV bike isn't particularly good on road, nor is it very good off road.

Any bike can do gravel roads, you don't need an ADV bike.

Sounds like you should be looking at a VFR or something like.... a Versys...
    davyjones likes this.
  9. gve.mcmlxxiv

Oddometer:
    Yeah, you sound like a big boy. Maybe able to handle the VFR1200.
    davyjones likes this.