1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Africa Twin ADVENTURE SPORT - Fuel Tank Removal

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by DSM8, May 2, 2019.

1. DSM8

DSM8 Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer:
    The purpose of this write up is to provide a definitive guide on how to remove the fuel tank from an Africa Twin Adventure Sport. There is plenty of info on the AT but I was unable to find anything for this model.
    I am including actual shots of the service manual for details in addition to the pics I took while taking the tank of my bike this week.

Fist step is to take off the crash bars, I have the Alt Rider ones, regardless of which you have get them out of the way there is not enough space to remove the side fairings with them on.

[​IMG]

This page shows the order in which items must be removed to access other items. I found it mostly useless but here it is regardless.

[​IMG]

At this point I started at the top removing the 4 bolts holding down the plastic top plate
    [​IMG]

There are several screws and push pins to be removed in order to get the side panel off the bike, there is a sub-side panel in the main panel you don't have to touch that.

[​IMG]

Take out the 4 chrome screws on either side of the windscreen (not the windscreen bolts), there are two more on the inside of the fairing at the top of the pointy bit, they are black those have to come out as well, no pic of those sorry.
    [​IMG]
    These are the push pins on the inside of the fairing you have to remove, there are several for each side. You dont have to touch the phillip heads screw in the pic below my finger that doesnt affect removal.
    [​IMG]
    At this point you will start to pry the fairing off starting at the rear and moving you way forward. The rear of the fairing is held in place by plastic pins into rubber grommets. You can see them in the picture above and then below and to the right of the air intake tube.
    [​IMG]
    Where it clips into the plastic behind the radiators are two flat spade clips, they are a fucking nightmare to remove or not. In my case one side required a lot of work to get out the other side was easy.

Fuck them.

[​IMG]
    This is prior to removal.
    [​IMG]

With both faring removed you now have to remove the plastic straddle at the rear of the tank, I have never had a bike that required so much disassembly to remove the tank, it verges on stupid.

Two plastic pins and the cover comes off.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now you have to remove the bracket the holds the seat release mechanism (remember I said this was stupid). I found a 1/4 drive with a long extension on a 10mm socket worked best to get in there from the other side, made removal easy.
    Just don't drop the bolt...that sucks...like donkey cock sucks...
    [​IMG]

Now you can get to the tank bolt, I did not remove the bracket I just zip tied it out of the way
    [​IMG]

Once you unbolt the tank it has to come back a little before you can lift it up, you need to get it off the bungs before having the space to raise it.
    There are three hoses and two electrical connections.
    [​IMG]
    Here you see the second elec connection which is the fuel level sensor, the two hoses and the fuel line. The fuel line...yeah we will get to that in a moment.
    [​IMG]

The fuel line has this little white clip in it, most other bikes you pull out the clip and it disconnects. Not Honda, no not them. Lord forbid it be logical...nope, nada, aint gonna happen.

Fuck you it is a puzzle deal with it....

[​IMG]

Here you see the fuel clip with the white piece removed.
    [​IMG]
    Dont' Do that.
    Repeat.

DO
    NOT
    REMOVE
    the white piece

It is fucking snow flake and will break if you look at it too hard let alone man handle it
    [​IMG]
    So you see the white thing there is also a little tab you push down then you push the whole thing down like drowning a Honda engineer in a kiddy pool. Once you press the two things down far enough it just slides off. There will be fuel coming out of the hose so be prepared for that.

At this point the tank will just lift up and then you are left with the guts of the bike exposed. In my case I was installing a new wiring harness which was it own special experience with this bike but I wont go into that.

Like the shop manual is so fond of saying reassembly is reverse of what you just did.

Hope this helps someone else out it only took me three days two trips to the dealership and some Prozac to make figuring this whole thing out feasible. And yeah I ordered the shop manual but it wont be here for two more weeks. I am not that patient like I was said before...oh look a squirrel...
    Heli-Pilot, rob377, MrKiwi and 7 others like this.
  2. ski-line900

ski-line900 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice write up.

Just be glad you have the 4 bolts on the front by the windscreen rather than the 4 push pins that always break.

Why you remove the tank? Already valve time?
  3. DSM8

Oddometer:
    Installation of a proper aux wiring harness for lights etc and routed to look factory
    Im anal like that when it comes to wiring
    Nihon Newbie likes this.
  4. lukasteam

lukasteam Life is beautiful !!! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lord knows how much I want ATAS , but since I do all the work on my bikes , stuff like this holds me back . Awesome bike when it's running , but when you have to do a little maintenance , but need to take half the bike apart and clips and secret disassembly procedures , oh my ...
    Thank you for great write up and pics brother . You make life easier !!!
  5. DSM8

Oddometer:
    If I had this from the start thw whole process would have been easier now its done will be simple in the future