Africa Twin - Another broken rear rack

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by stou, May 14, 2017.

1. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Read fine print it is a road bike off-road use isn't covered by warranty.
  2. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd say he has a chance, simply because he is dealing with Honda, but won't be surprised either way.

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  3. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Fortunately the OP was on a public road when the incident occurred.
  4. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    As mentioned after the first reported rear rack snapping incident. . . I added the GIVI SR1144 top rack bracket kit to reinforce the OEM rear nylon-reinforced plastic carrier. It mounts into the base of the OEM handle/rack carrier support assy using the fender mount holes.

It definitely offers additional support via pushing against the back of the carrier base etc. The support brackets are robust.

There have been KTM950 Super Enduro rear subframes snapped from similar incidents (hitting a pot hole at speed) etc.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/950-se-subframe-problems-yes-or-no.554395/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Squily, MrKiwi, Glifaus and 1 other person like this.
  5. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    A sudden hard jolt can snap aluminum and plastic. Hopefully, a steel rear carrier assy will be available from Honda in the near future.

I view adding a rear rack support the same as adding a high fender kit to avoid my front tire from locking up in the mud (or, a rock between the front knobby and brake line locking up the front tire) . . . better to be cautious with after market kits etc.

950SE rear subframe failures:
    [​IMG]
  6. Glifaus

Glifaus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the givi reinforcement and it's the best and cheapest option for the rear rack. I travelled in morocco, and pyrinees with a lot of weight in the rack, off-road, also with jumps and it's intact with far more than 10 kg (maybe 15 or more).
    Yeah, the ideal is that Honda fix this, i think thar it's only a cheap way to save weight in this fat bike.
    MrKiwi and mcmann like this.
  7. stou

stou Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those 2 bolts also go in the plastic carrier. So maybe it's better than nothing, but it''s not really a good solution. You need something that attaches to the frame.
    Barron likes this.
  8. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Agreed. The term "Off-road" is often vaguely and improperly defined here on ADV. By law, not so much. Honda could still waffle on it but hopefully they won't. For example: If you drove your car into a sink hole that had opened on a public road the manufacturer would be unlikely to cover damage under warranty and refer you to your own insurance company. Honda could take that approach...
  9. twinrider

Oddometer:
    The flaw in this design is that it creates substantial rear overhang compared to racks that mount on squarely on top of the original bolt holes. That overhang, designed to give the passenger more room when a top box is used, is probably what led Givi to add the reinforcement.
    Barron and michaeln like this.
  10. michaeln

michaeln What're YOU lookin' at? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I loaded up a KLR years ago with lots of heavy stuff far back, and the handling was horrible (no weight on the front tire).

From that trip on I decided if I have to carry weight, it goes in panniers down low on good racks and closer to the CG of the bike. I think that rear rack way back there and cantilevered as it is should be used for BULKY stuff that is not heavy, like sleeping bag & pad, or tent without poles, etc..

The darn rear rack just has way too much leverage on the bike and not enough strength. Heck, even if it were super strong I would not load a bunch of weight that far back and that high. You want weight as close as possible to the motorcycle's CG.
  11. ya(x2)

ya(x2) Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gosh... some head scratching for Honda and I feel sorry for you !

The steel rack initiative is great, no question about it. But for owners with Holan panniers frame (very early) who want to keep the oem rack :

Simply make sure that you have both these curved brackets + 2 crossbars (upper crossbar have been removed on the newest kit! What a shame when it is so efficient for lateral constraint. Hit tested by a buddy's KTM, nothing has moved :p). There curved brackets might really help in sharing the load I think. You should require them to your reseller / distributor / holan along with the broken rack pics.

According to the pictures I've seen and comments read on forums :

Very early version : Maybe the 2 crossbars and no curves brackets.
    Early or some (my) version : 2 crossbars + curved brackets.
    Lastest version : bottom crossbar (behind the license plate) and curved brackets (fu... the cost reduction! :p).

P1080661.jpg

Again, all the best with the repair and warranty claim.
  12. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Yup, out touring my top box is reserved for bulky but light items and when possible it's never fully packed as I use it for storage when I'm off the bike and for ferrying groceries to the campsite before stopping for the night.
  13. G-van drone

G-van drone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Isn't this "rear carrier" the same part to which a number of pannier rack designs use as a primary mount attachment point? If failures occur at 17 lbs (granted, cantilevered load) for the top box, has anyone or will anyone experience localized failure where the pannier racks "clamp" to the rear carrier? The attachment to the subframe at the passenger peg mounts certainly carries its share of the load, but just wondering .. . . .
  14. BygDaddee

BygDaddee Where do I get a pie

Oddometer:
    That Givi support is a great design, you could even just use the bottom brackets without the top brackets to give a normal rack extra support, or bolt a rack onto the top brackets without putting it to far back.
  15. Benjah

Benjah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The givi brackets have a surprisingly large weight.
  16. michaeln

michaeln What're YOU lookin' at? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Too bad motorcycles aren't more like mules. If you overload a mule, it will just stand there and refuse to move.
  17. twinrider

Oddometer:

I mean the rear overhang. That Givi mount moves the plate bolt holes way back compare to stock. Givi has the passenger in mind
  18. DirtyRoadie

DirtyRoadie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's physics, I think. The overhang creates a cantilever effect, which starts a series of low amplitude, high frequency "vibrations" when the bike is subjected to bumps. When these waves get out of sync cracking occurs. Sometimes weight in the topbox can actually dampen these vibrations and prevent cracking. Definitely not a problem unique to Honda, KTMs are known to crack subframes (see above posters photos) as are Yamaha S10s and FJRs. There are probably a number of others also but these are ones I'm aware of as I've owned these bikes and have thus read many forum threads on these.
    Because of this belief (which may be way off, I'm no scientist) I never use my topbox on my S10 unless my wife is on the bike or I have some weight in it.

By "vibrations" I meant oscillations. It came to me whilst riding my bicycle.
    MrKiwi and Fat Toney like this.
  19. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Haha! You want fat? Get on an S10

20. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I may have to spring for that while I wait for the new SS carrrier. I'd say that bottom brace makes a difference.