Africa Twin - Another broken rear rack

Discussion in 'Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan' started by stou, May 14, 2017.

1. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, not sure how anyone can construe the caution about running side with top cases on the S10 to mean the strenghth of the top rack didn't change. The S10 top rack isn't integrated with the grab handles and underlying support stucture. Top rack is bolt-on, as are the grab rails and rear subframe. S10 is 'built like a tank' in most regards.

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk
    mb300 likes this.
  2. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is it really worth freaking out over? Following the OEM restrictions is just as easy if you know what should go further forward/what shouldn't be hanging off of the ass end. Of course nobody selling racks in their right mind will decare it 'stronger than OEM.' Look at the material used, and how the end of the ATO rack is joined to the rest of the rack and tell me you expect the same failures we are seeing on the OEM, if you adhere the very-reasonable limitation Honda has.

3. ripping r

ripping r Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes ato. They have something in the works.
    Im not freaking out about anything. I want the rack because the stock hanldes are so dam ulgy. I dont carry luggage. Just a small bag. The rack there working on will just be a pillion set up. I want to clean up the ass end. Thats it.
  4. MillennialFalcon

MillennialFalcon Improvement starts with self

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the quoting homework, mcmann, I never saw that sticker and I threw my manual away so wow that was sooper informative! :photog:thumb

I have a feeling I will overload my ATO rack too like the same dull moron who overloaded my OEM rack :dunno

Some people are so socially awkward you can smell it through the computer screen. These folks recommend that people looking to get a blown fork seal replaced should mail their forks across the country in the middle of the riding season on an otherwise ride ready bike...
    :deal

So do I, but I never said one might "lose a passenger" with the OEM rack. You think a passenger could exceed the precious load capacity holding on to those "grab handles"? And in any event, I err on the side of caution with my lady friends.

Was this directed at me? OEM rack is crap, ATO rack is the only replacement. Read between the lines all you want on that, oh wait you already have. Jeebus crust some of ya'll AT guys need to open a nail salon for all your insinuating.
    "I hear MillennialFalcon exceeds the load rating on his OEM AT rack and reduces tire pressure when offroad...how long do you think his marriage will last doing that!?" :imaposer
    toates89 likes this.
  5. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Knock off the petty bickering. This isn't the basement.
  6. arrcrussell

arrcrussell Gimme Dirt

Oddometer:
    Chain saw carrier!? Before, or after, the gun rack?! :lol3
  7. stou

stou Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got the rack replaced under guarantee today.
    Squily and twinrider like this.
  8. Shredahead

Shredahead Old and in the way

Oddometer:
    Just an FYI, the Jesse Luggage mounting system comes with a plate that attaches under the rear rack and to the rest of the mountain system. This greatly strengthens the factory rear rack. The way the Jesse system works on the AT, there are no connection points to anything plastic. From what I've seen this is the most bomber pannier system for the AT. I also think they will sell the parts to reinforce the rear rack by themselves.
  9. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    He, he... 'Mountain' systems and 'bomber' panniers

10. Shredahead

Shredahead Old and in the way

Oddometer:
    Yes I meant mounting not "mountain", haha, But yes "bomber" is the term I meant to use. It means super solid.

Someone sent me a PM asking for pictures of the mounting set up. Here are three pics which show the top bracket with a small metal plate under the factory rack and the bottom rod under the fender which all connect to each other and make a solid connection and takes stress off of the plastic rear rack. The mounting of this system does not connect to any plastic at all. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    twinrider and Squily like this.
  11. stou

stou Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I made some supports to reinforce the rack. They are installed on the Touratech case rack, which is installed on the subframe.

I think it will help a lot.

IMG_0637.JPG IMG_0638.JPG IMG_0639.JPG
    windowto, BMacW650, bmon and 4 others like this.
  12. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    stou likes this.
  13. twinrider

Oddometer:
    Btw, bet you could sell a lot of these if you made them fit the more popular pannier racks, like Givi, etc.
  14. stou

stou Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought about that Twinrider. But to do that, I modified the Touratech part that bolt on the subframe, the longer part in the pictures. To make it strong, I welded 2 tabs where the supports are bolted. So it can be complicated to do, or to expensive if that part must be replaced. I'm not sure if using a kind of mounting braket can be strong enough. Something like that:

41vzdDM6wzL._SL500_.jpg
  15. twinrider

Oddometer:
    As long as it bears weight without moving it might work.
  16. Aces 6

Aces 6 Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, Over

Oddometer:
    Happy with the ATO rack.
    After my KLR rack broke (plastic) and top case went rolling down the hill one of the first things I swapped out. Roll with a GL Grand Basin now and it didn't fit flush so what's a few hundred dollars when your in that deep? :flush
    ATO Rack almost installed.JPG
  17. Mr. Fisherman

Mr. Fisherman Back in Black!

Oddometer:
    Just finished installing my ATO rack.
    If anyone is interested in a lightly used stock rack PM me.
    Telmak likes this.
  18. SunValley

SunValley 16 Africa Twin

Oddometer:
    My initial impression with failing rear reports were that people were just overloading their rear racks. I now think that impression was totally wrong. I recently purchased a Givi Trekker Outback top case for my AT to provide backrest/support for my wife when we ride two up. Note: the top case does not exceed Honda's weight limit specification for the rear rack. It is also mounted on an Altrider rear rack. Combined, they still do not exceed Honda's weight specifications.

What I noticed they other day when following a friend on my bike was that the rear rack, with top case, springs back and forth like a diving board when the top case is mounted. As others have mentioned, I now believe that the rack failures are caused by the repetitive, up and down motion. as vertical stability of the rack is non-existence with minimal and within Honda spec load.

My apologies to everyone i doubted.
    MillennialFalcon likes this.
  19. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Make sure you install the SR1144 support bracket.

IMG_8366.JPG
  20. SunValley

SunValley 16 Africa Twin

Oddometer:
    I'm planning to go the ATO rack route when they are back in stock.
    MillennialFalcon likes this.