Africa Twin - Another broken rear rack

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by stou, May 14, 2017.

1. sweetlou

sweetlou small body, big balls

Oddometer:
    I can confirm the Givi rear rack fits the Shad top case. It moves the Shad back another 2in from its original location but it fits nicely. I also like the additional rack support the Givi kit offers - it ties into the rear subframe through two bolts underneath the rack. Nice.
  2. OzCr0w

OzCr0w She'll be right mate!

Oddometer:
    I'd be proper fucked trying to pick up my AT yesterday without those grab handles so they are welcomed to stay.
    I'll make supports as well. This bikes is in for Tonka treatment so one more piece of scaffold might be good investment.

IMG_4660.JPG

Who tries to break green branches with a red bike.. Should've pruned
  3. Muddler

Muddler Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’d like to do something to support my 2018 Standard AT. This Givi fitting seems to be the only retail option out there, but the bolt attachment point into the back of the bike (M5?) seems a bit light on. Do you think it is adequate?
    I was thinking about reinforcing the handles with fibreglass, but some racks are breaking under the seat, so that’s a bit pointless. So I’m back to the Givi fitting, but does it really help?

mcmann likes this.
  4. sweetlou

sweetlou small body, big balls

Oddometer:
    My Givi fitting helped. It adds one extra mounting point to the actual subframe under the seat. The other benefit is the bracket sandwiches the rack itself adding additional support. For $60 it was worth it for me as I wasn’t ready to plunk down the $650 or so for that trick aftermarket piece.
    Muddler likes this.
  5. mcmann

mcmann Adventure Rider Junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    It works great for me. I only use a soft bag on the back. It has good support. I did not use the top bracket to keep my load lower.
    Muddler likes this.
  6. DCTFAN

DCTFAN VIN# JH2SD0451GK000002 '16 CRF1000LD

Oddometer:
    The Givi support bracket bolts on to the rear rack itself via a flimsy piece of metal attached to the rack itself.
    +1
    It does not bolt directly onto any sub-frame member.
    The flimsy piece of metal in turn connects to the rack using rubber grommets. Its main purpose is to hold
    the tail light assembly and minimize vibration.
    Nevertheless, I put the Givi brackets on and I rode thousands of miles with my topbox (which by itself weighs 12.5 lbs)
    doing the western TAT. All good :)
  7. NumberCruncher

NumberCruncher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any luck?

I am in OCD/Paranoia mode about this breaking rack issue with the AT. I don't hammer my AT but do have a Dolomiti low profile top case mounted. I typically carry a camera and laptop in that case and if it snapped off while riding I might never know about it. I'll add the same bottom brackets and try to forget about the potential. But why couldn't Honda have had something made out of a reasonably hard steel? The Moto Guzzi V85TT rear rack looks really strong even though the top case appears to be hanging off the back just like our AT's do.

NC

8. OzCr0w

Oddometer:
    Don't let it mess with your head mate. Your not hearing of the thousands that haven't come to grief.
    I give my bike hell and it's still in one piece.
    DCTFAN and NumberCruncher like this.
  9. NumberCruncher

NumberCruncher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that. I over thought it last night. I hope to visit Australia some time as I envision a route around your country where every day is spent on the coast in 25 degree weather.

NC

OzCr0w likes this.
  10. DCTFAN

DCTFAN VIN# JH2SD0451GK000002 '16 CRF1000LD

Oddometer:
    I managed to crack the bottom of the OE topbox by hitting it against a tree. (yeah, that's a special skill, lol)
    But that confirms this-
    The AT rack is stronger than ABS plastic :1drink
    OzCr0w and mb300 like this.
  11. OzCr0w

Oddometer:
    Yeah you'll love it here mate.
    No shortage of great places to see and meat pies and tomato sauce.
    NumberCruncher and mb300 like this.