Africa Twin base Model or adventure sport

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Tvileren, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Tvileren

Tvileren Offroad Touring Club #888

Oddometer:
    Hi.

I’m currently looking into getting an Africa twin 18/19 model and have a few q’s to more knowledgeable inmates.
    For the record, I’m 5’9” with a 29-30” inseam.
    I’m currently riding an s10, but find it too wide and lumpy on the loose stuff.

1. I’ve tried an AS with low seat and found the riding position a bit cramped (or not comfortable for me). Would I be able to reach the ground on an as with original seat in the low position? Dealers within reasonable distance from me doesn’t have the AS in stock or as demo.

2. I’ve been looking to as over base model mostly because of what I’ve read regarding the front suspension being way to soft. I’ve scoured the net and found about nothing with regards to updates to suspension on the base model in 18 or 19 other than someone said it was updated on the 18 model. Anyone able to confirm?
    I’m not expecting race bike performance suspension, but don’t like to look at the black stuff 2” from the front wheel just by touching the brake

3. I’ve got no problem reaching the ground on a base model with the seat in the high position.
    I’ve understood that reach with the smaller gas tank is relatively good as the bike is fairly frugal?
    The light bar and bash plate on the as is mostly cosmetic as I’ve understood, so engine protection would be a must regardless of version?

The bike would be my only bike, used to commuting by highways, touring two up, twisties and as much gravel roads and trails I can squeeze in.

Thoughts and insights to my dilemma?
  2. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    5'9. About the same inseam.

I've owned a 2016, 2017, and currently a 2018 Africa Twin. All DCTs. i'm the one who says the suspension has been updated. It isn't as plush as it was earlier. It's firmer but still compliant. There's still a bit of brake dive but it's nowhere as drastic as it was before.

I don''t know what else I said. Look for my post on about the 2nd/ 3rd of April in this forum on the AT thread.

I almost exclusively commute and tour on mine. Dirt/ gravel expeditions aren't ever by design for me.
  3. Motorwerx

Motorwerx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From what you've said, I'd recommend getting a base model AT and spending your savings on protection. I bought the ATAS and ended up replacing all the "protection" from Honda right away anyways. And if after you've ridden it for a while you dislike the suspension, upgrade that as well. People here are very quick to recommend throwing out the suspension immediately, but you'll never know if it bothers you until you try it. There are tons of people who own a standard AT who have never once thought of changing the suspension because it's not detrimental to the way they ride.

Since you thought the S10 was too wide, and with your height and inseam, I'd say the ATAS would be too big for what you're looking for, especially since you don't really list any of the pros that the ATAS would bring as things that are important to you.
  4. tmh

tmh It's A Wonderful Day For Pie

Oddometer:
    I would personally think twice about buying an AT right now, especially now that the next gen AT has recently been 'confirmed', and will likely show up next year (?) See: https://advrider.com/honda-confirms-new-africa-twin-is-coming/

This is probably going to hit the values of the current AT and ATAS pretty hard. And we've all read here on these forums and elsewhere about the issues the 2016 and later bikes have had, up to and including the MY '18-'19. Maybe Honda is going to address these issues in the next gen bike?

Obviously it can always be a waiting game and if one waits for the 'perfect' model bike, they may never may have anything to ride. But it just seems to me that the next gen AT release is relatively close - so why not wait just a bit and get confirmation of what it is? Seems like it might have more power, more fuel capacity, and equivalent (or maybe even lower) weight as compared to the current bikes. Those features might come in especially handy for your stated uses of 2-up touring and highway commuting. And it seems like the new bike will be at least as gravel road capable. More info, including 'leaked' specifications here: https://www.cycleworld.com/honda-crf1100l-africa-twin-details-leaked/

There is already a post regarding the potential impact on values of the Yamaha Super Tenere now that the T7 has been released. And I think that everyone has seen the impact of the new KTM 790 on the values of the 950/990, 1190 and 1090 values. Some folks are saying that these new smaller displacement bikes are not competing with their bigger brothers, but anyone looking at used bike values (and used bikes which just never seem to sell) will have a different opinion. The new (2020? 2021?) AT is not a smaller, 'different category' bike, so it will likely have an even larger impact on the older AT values. One can already see that the 2016-2017 used bikes are not selling well due to the improvements made in the 2018-2019 models, and the release of the ATAS.

Unless I found a truly dirt cheap used AT right now, I would not spend my coin at the moment. Unless I was really prepared to potentially lose my shirt.
  5. Fat Toney

Fat Toney Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m a short guy 5’7” and love my 2016 DCT. 12,000 miles so far. The seat could use some extra cushion. Really like the touratech bash plate, crash bars, and tall windscreen.

IMG_2172.jpg
    Amphib, Tvileren and neanderthal like this.
  6. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    You should check into the Yamaha T7. It'll be the same magnitude better on dirt than the AT as the AT is compared to the S10.

Just posted by an owner in Sweden.

[​IMG]
  7. Tvileren

Oddometer:
    I’m inclined towards the base model now, will just have to check range. Would preferably like a range north of 250 miles, but an aux tank could be the solution.

I felt the ATAS was slimmer than the s10, but the base model would be slimmer again due to the smaller tank I think.
    The s10 is a good bike, but something a little more nimble is my goal now
  8. Tvileren

Oddometer:
    I’ll take a look
  9. Tvileren

Oddometer:
    Certainly something to take into account. The ‘leakage’ came after I posted
  10. Tvileren

Oddometer:
    Congrats
    I’m waiting to try one. I like the look, and the ergonomics seemed to be spot on when I sat on one in march.
    My only concern is wether or not the torque is enough for effortless two up touring.
    If my wallet would agree I’d get a new s10 or AT for touring and a t7 as my dedicated everyday bike
  11. Janus9

Janus9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMO, for two up touring, I wouldn’t even consider the T7.
  12. twinrider

Oddometer:
    From what everyone says, the motor is torquey and pulls hard from off idle. But yeah, you're giving away some power in exchange for more offroad ability. Which is what you'd also be doing going from the S10 to an AT, which would have to be resprung as the rear shock is pretty weak for two-up (I had one for 2 years).

Anyhow have a good time test riding all of them, shopping is half the fun.
  13. Tvileren

Oddometer:
    A little less torque is expected, but not sure how much I’d like to sacrifice

Am looking forwards to test riding both the AT, ATAS and t7. I wanna try the 790advR too, but can’t get myself to like the look of it.
  14. Fat Toney

Fat Toney Long timer

Oddometer:
    The AT is a perfect everyday bike for me.
    neanderthal likes this.
  15. twinrider

Oddometer:
    The 790AR is an eyesore, but if it performs as good as some owners claim I reckon I'd get used to the looks and call her Ugly Betty.

If you get serious about an AT, you should wait and see what the 1100 brings to the table.
  16. Fat Toney

Fat Toney Long timer

Oddometer:
    1100 will be heavier with 7-10 more hp

1000 is the sweet spot for me.
    Amphib likes this.
  17. twinrider

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't make a call till I knew the specs and tried it. 50cc doesn't weigh much. Honda will hopefully fix the earlier models' shortcomings, and finally add cruise control and tubeless tires.
    Motonirvana likes this.
  18. Fat Toney

Fat Toney Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you own one?
  19. twinrider

Oddometer:
    I owned one for two years and started the AT problem and action threads, you have a short memory.
  20. ukiboy

ukiboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Personally I prefer the look of the ATAS and it’s the better mile muncher if you spend loads of time on motorways.
    After sitting on one though I found it too tall (I’m 6’ in my riding boots).
    My riding is 75/25 city riding/motorways so I opted for the standard AT manual version.
    Very happy with my decision as it’s still great for munching the miles (220 miles to a tank is no problem) but it’s much easier in city traffic.
    chasdog likes this.